Peter Green-Gary Moore

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by Emerald, Jun 17, 2009.

1. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

Stripe???:hmm:

2. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

No Greeny!
    Emerald

3. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

This threw me off....

"Here is a picture of Gary with the famous Stripe, right after he recieved it from the KGB operative who had intercepted it from Interpol.."

was that photo removed from the thread?????

What about this guitar...??

I posted on the GM thread...never seen him playing it before...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6P7mdMFXew]Gary Moore - Parisienne Walkways, Live at Montreux 1999. - YouTube[/ame]

:hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm::hmm:

4. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

My error Moodyedge, I labelled it Stripe when it was clearly Greeny.
    Gary's Fiesta Red 1961 Strat was stolen and recovered by Interpol though, true dat..:applause:
    Emerald

1 person likes this.
  5. Midnight Blues

Midnight Blues Premium Member

Would have liked to have seen more of this interview:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujkKQTbVowA]Gary Moore interview by Tomi Lindblom (2004) / Finland - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  6. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Not to worry just keep searching You Tube obscure GM interviews show up infrequently but they still do.
    Amazing to see this thread with over 35K views!
    Please to the Gary Moore estate, start issuing for a start all those magnifcent VHS videos onto the superior DVD format.
    Gary's fanbase is strong and will only increase as young players will be afforded the thrill of Gary's incredible music.
    Emerald

2 people like this.
  7. Midnight Blues

That would be fantastic if they did that and release some previously unreleased material that never made it to vinyl/CD/MP3. How cool would that be!?

8. emerald81

emerald81 Senior Member

Remembering gary. Interview with stripe lp & greeny... about 'ballads & blues' album songs.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIEArkez1Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCIEArkez1Q[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtF2ydrfKg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXtF2ydrfKg[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt46oNL-2vE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt46oNL-2vE[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  9. HRC51

HRC51 Member

1 person likes this.
  10. Emerald

Emerald Senior Member

Yes, but the bits I didn't enjoy were Mr. Harris remarks about Gary's personality and I doubt they were quite the mates he makes out.
    He says he thought Gary felt 'threatened' by his playing on Greeny and grabbed the guitar off of him. That part I can believe, but I don't think Gary felt challenged by PH's playing in any era..:lol::lol:
    Emerald

1 person likes this.
  11. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

That video is about a guitar? I thought it was "The Phil Harris Life Story As Told By A Fascinated Phil Harris".

2 people like this.
  12. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Hey come on now....don't want to besmirch a man's reputation here.

;)

13. Skerries1

Skerries1 Senior Member

It is a nice history of the guitar. A pal of mine was mates with Gary and said he and Peter had difficult times because Peter couldn't remember selling the guitar to him and assumed he had taken it without permission during one of Peter's worse periods. For those of you who don't know, Peter has had some trouble with mental health issues that may have affected his recollection.

2 people like this.
  14. Thermionik

Thermionik Not Fade Away Premium Member

About the Blues For Greeny album.

"It's going to shock a few people. You certainly get a lot less notes for your money. But they're Peter Green's notes - they come a lot more expensive. There's a lot of playing on this that's different to what I've done in the past, but I've finally been able to capture the sound and the style that made such a huge impression on me when I was a kid. It's a very restrained album - to crank it up would have taken away from the essence of what Peter was about."

(Gary Moore - Total Guitar, Issue 9, August 1995)

3 people like this.
  15. Midnight Blues

One of my absolute, without a doubt, favorite albums.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6KCCnIhgRo]Gary Moore - Blues for greeny. complete - YouTube[/ame]

1 person likes this.
  16. Midnight Blues

I think he did, but I thought I'd ask the guys that would know; did Gary use a T.C. Electronics Reverb?

Thanks and :cheers:

17. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

Mine too...I remember when it came out, and I didn't know much about Green's guitar at the time. I was like "how is he getting that sound?" I thought at first it must be P90's. Only later did I realize that aside from the immense talent, that wiring contributed as well.

2 people like this.
  18. Midnight Blues

Just watching the interview and the reverence that Gary had for Peter and that Guitar, it's just a shame that he had to sell it. I know he thought it was difficult to play (you'd never know it right?) and preferred "Stripe" over it, but you know it had to be one of the most difficult decisions he ever had to make.

1 person likes this.
  19. NiagaraTim

NiagaraTim Junior Member

yea the photo is a very young Peter during his bluesbreakers days before he changed his pickup... Ive seen a lot of photos of him with john mayall and i recognize his hairstyle and early mutton chop sideburns.. he grew his hair longer not long after he formed Fleetwood Mac which completely covered the sideburns..

20. Midnight Blues

From Guitar Player:

[​IMG]

The Deep Secret Behind Peter Green's “Magic” 1959 Les Paul Tone
    BY CHRISTOPHER SCAPELLITI
    December 9, 2015

“Do you remember when you got your magic Les Paul?”

"So asked Andy Ellis of Peter Green in the November 2000 issue of Guitar Player. The guitar in question was none other than Green’s 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard, a legendary instrument that the Fleetwood Mac founder used to write and record many of the group’s seminal blues cuts, including “Black Magic Woman,” “Oh Well” and “The Green Manalishi (With the Two-Prong Crown).”

Green’s Les Paul was considered “magic” for its out-of-phase sound, a nasal tonality missing from the typical Les Paul repertoire.

Oddly, Green didn’t think much of the assessment.

“I never had a magic one,” he replied to Ellis. “Mine wasn’t magical.

“It might have looked similar to others from a distance, but it was an old-fashioned one with a funny-shaped neck—a kind of semicircle neck. It just barely worked. The pickups were strong, but I took one of them off. I copied Eric [Clapton]. I heard him play one night, and he was on the treble pickup all night long. It sounded so good, I thought I’d take my bass pickup off altogether. Try and wait for the same luck. As if it was luck! It takes a lot of genuine practice and worry to get a sound like that.”

ELLIS: But judging from all the Fleetwood Mac photographs, you must have put the pickup back on your Les Paul.

GREEN: I put it back on the wrong way around so that the poles—the pickup screws—were facing in the opposite direction. People would say to me, “You got that special out-of-phase sound.” I don’t know what out-of-phase is. Phase for what? Phase—it sounds like a good name for a group. Mind you, it didn’t make any difference to me. People would say that I got a special sound and try to force me to agree, but I don’t think so.

As it happened, Ellis already knew the “secret” behind the sound of Green’s Les Paul. In 1994, he’d approached Jol Dantzig, then with Hamer Guitars, to have him build a custom dual-humbucker guitar inspired by Green’s Les Paul. Ellis told the story in the same issue in which his Peter Green interview appeared. By the time of his visit to Dantzig, Green’s Les Paul had long been the main instrument of Gary Moore, who had befriended Green in the late Sixties and purchased the guitar from him a few years later, in the early Seventies.

“As we discussed the wiring possibilities,” Ellis wrote, “Dantzig recalled that Gary Moore stopped by the Hamer factory in the early Eighties with Green’s Les Paul.

“‘I asked if I could check out the wiring,’ remembered Dantzig, ‘and I carefully examined the pickups and their controls. Everything looked totally stock—the pickups were wired in phase—but I knew they didn’t sound stock when played together.

“‘The I used a compass to measure the pickups’ magnetic polarity. I discovered that one magnet was oriented north-to-south while the other was oriented south-to-north. The pickups were magnetically out of phase—this was the secret we’d all been searching for!’

“Dantzig agreed to incorporate magnetically out-of-phase pickups and reverse the neck pickup in the custom Hamer,” Ellis continued. “I sent a pair of Antiquity humbuckers to Seymour Duncan, requesting that he flip the magnet on one. Before I could explain why, Duncan said, ‘Ahh—you want the Peter Green mod.’”

So did the wiring replicate Green’s nasal tone? The answer, Ellis said, was an unequivocal yes.

“In a dual-pickup setting where each humbucker has its own volume pot, you can bleed the relative phase shift to create timbres ranging from a piercing howl to a subtle treble boost.”

But as Ellis points out, the resulting tone isn’t the same that you get from wiring humbuckers out of phase. It seems that magnetically out-of-phase pickups are responsive to pitch, creating an entirely different sort of sound.

“Oddly, the resulting sound is sweeter and more musical than what you get from wiring humbuckers out of phase,” Ellis writes. “Magnetically generated phase shift seems to respond to pitch changes—the higher the note, the more pronounced the effect. Chords and bass notes don’t have the thin, shrill sound of out-of-phase wiring, yet high notes played on the top strings have a pronounced hollow cry.”

In the years since Ellis wrote his story, Green’s guitar changed hands several times. Moore sold the guitar in 2006 for financial reasons. It eventually ended up in the hands of Metallica’s Kirk Hammett, who purchased it in 2014.

You can read more about Peter Green’s “magic” Les Paul in our 2015 story (Kirk Hammett Talks About His Prize: Peter Green and Gary Moore's Les Paul), where you can also view a video of Hammett talking about the guitar.

In the video below, you can watch Green’s Les Paul in action courtesy of Phil Harris and Guitar Interactive (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCS3QTujyp5t2nSSzktYFzWA)."

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOdXWLrxPk[/ame]

If you ask me, the "MAGIC" (and I don't mean the tone) was in his/their hands!

1 person likes this.