Peter Florance Voodoo PAFs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Dilver, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

After a few months of searching for the right pickups for my 2017 R8, I’m done with the search. I came upon a Peter Florance Voodoo bridge pickup used and instantly fell in love with it. After trying a whole slew of neck pickups to try to match it, I went ahead and ordered a Voodoo PAF neck directly from Peter Florance.

I love these pickups. Peter uses an A5 magnet in the bridge and an A3 in the neck. I find that intriguing as you don’t hear of other winders mixing mag types in their sets. But the magnets are only part of the equation. There’s something special in his wind that gives these pickups a dry “chewiness” to them. I’ve heard people complain that his bridge pickups are bright - and they are... But if you really use the guitar’s tone control, there’s a great range of thick tones between 4 1/2 through 8, and if you need some extra cut, it’s there in the last bit. But I usually run it with some of the tone control dialed back. The neck pickup has the same almost single coil-like tone as the JM Rolph I use in my CS-336. Great clarity, and again, that chewiness in the attack, with a great vocal quality. And finally, that Dickey Betts middle position tone. Here I was trying to find a great neck pickup to match the Florance bridge, and the answer was as simple as having Peter wind me one.

Love these pickups and highly recommend checking them out.

ntotoro and NotScott like this.
  2. NotScott

NotScott Silver Supporter Premium Member

+1 on the Voodoos and everything you said. My preferred set was the A3 neck 59 and A5 bridge 57, both wound a bit hotter. The neck gets that flutey, cello tone when driven but never gets muddy and cleans up nicely. The 57 bridge is a bit fatter than the 59 but still has just enough bite and edge that doesn't go soft when you back your guitar volume down. I flipped the magnet on the neck for the Peter Green thing and this set just rips that way.

I also highly recommend them.

ntotoro and Dilver like this.
  3. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

All the winders who have popped up in the last 15+ years or so, I still love Florance pickups. The '57's are great in a brighter guitar... exactly what was needed in a fairly pretty R68 Custom of mine. The '59's have been fantastic in a darker 'R7 Goldtop of mine.

Nick

Dilver and NotScott like this.
  4. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

This is key.

5. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Exactly. I feel like some people dismiss pickups without really using their tone controls to get the best out of them. Pot values will also affect this, but it’s really about finding the sweet spot of pickup height, pole piece height and tone and volume control. Anyone who’s just running their tone and volume knobs on 10 all the time are just missing out.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  6. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

Amazing how some things just hold up over time. I feel like a few older pickup makers get outshined by more recent makers who get more buzz (figuratively speaking).

ntotoro likes this.
  7. alnico59

alnico59 Premium Member

I was one of those too. I was schooled when I found out that back in the day nobody, including Jimmy Page (who's tone was bright) played with their bridge tone on 10. On 10 you're technically off the pot and wide open. Bye bye bumblebees, NOS PIO's, etc.. I always hear some weird frequencies with it on 10. But I guess if you have a dark guitar and amp it could work.

Dilver likes this.