Pete Townshend Deluxe

Discussion in 'Norlin Years' started by ajory72, Jun 24, 2016.

1. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

My apologies if there is already a thread about Pete's custom shop re-issues.

I've been pouring over his music, old Who videos, interviews and other assorted bibs and bobs and wanted to show off, what I think is the ultimate Norlin beast!

They must have been weighty guitars in the day and there are pics of one that was routed by Roger Daltrey to make it lighter - and although Pete plays a Strat mostly now it's good to see custom shop reproductions of his creation.

Does anyone have any Norlins they've modded to be like Pete's - care to post some pics - vids?

from the Music Zoo [no affiliation with me]
    [​IMG]

From Gum Tree [no affiliation with me]
    [​IMG]

the one Daltrey routed:
    [​IMG]

MrSepl, X–Ray, Who and 2 others like this.
  2. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

MrSepl and Frogfur like this.
  3. ajory72

ajory72 Senior Member

4. MSB

MSB Senior Member

The pic of the routed back makes my heart hurt

5. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

I don't have any intentionally modded to look like Pete's, but I DO have a '76 wine red Deluxe, which is practically a twin to this, without the mods of course. VERY similar lighter colored fretboard too.
    (SN's are 492 numbers apart, but these were in NO way in numerical order anyways..)
    Pete's '76:
    [​IMG]
    My '76 Wine Red Deluxe:
    [​IMG]
    Also, those Whotabs/Who collection pages have some VERY wrong info on the SGs regarding year of manufacture..it states large guard started in '66-'70, (it was '67), shows a '71 SG Deluxe as a 70 Custom??? (with a '72 pickup [and SN#] in it??,a couple of '69 Specials as '67 and '68's.. shows a modified small guard white SG as a post '67, and I quit looking after that..

3 people like this.
  6. Mayuiers

Mayuiers V.I.P. Member

Over the years I've seen The Who live a dozen times or so. With the way Pete flings his guitar I was always half expecting it to fall off of his strap at any moment. Not that it would have mattered much since the life expectancy on his guitars could be measured in minutes anyway. But I have always wondered about his method for attaching his strap.

Thanks for the pics !!!

7. kakao

kakao Senior Member

I was never able to understand the significance of Peter Townsend and his music.
    Very marginal character by all means. Yes, he was around when the big things were happening, but his contribution to the music remains minimal, because it never existed in the first place. Destroying guitars/amps is probably the only thing that he should be remembered for.

Great idea with the 3rd pickup in the middle BTW.

scozz and monkfish like this.
  8. chasenblues

chasenblues Senior Member

:lol:

Who likes this.
  9. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Tommy.

He composed an opera. Using rock music. The influence was EXTREMELY instrumental in the shift from rock "singles" to "album rock".

The Who was in direct competition with the Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, Hendrix....

Pete was no guitar virtuoso (in an age where that began to matter), but The Who's touring and album releases at the time were right there with any band on the planet.

Starting in '64, The Who is still going, and was a bigger draw (album sales and touring) than Zeppelin by the time Zeppelin was drawing to a close.

They outlasted everything that had come along other than the Stones by the mid 80s, and they were still huge.

Townshend's compositions are now mainly the theme-songs to CSI spin-offs..... but to say he was "marginal" is to not look into the history very deeply.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  10. Who

This:
    [​IMG]

is why I own a Les Paul. I thought Page's was ugly. I still do. But that one.... with the number on it....

My first Les Paul was purchased just to put a number on it like that. The image of that WAS rock music to me.

I think I need to make one like Pete's.

1 person likes this.
  11. Who

If I owned that, I would add a number sticker.

Then, I would fab a faux-pickup, and put it in the center (without routing or harming the finish), and I'd add the extra poker-chips as stickers.

Yes, I'd take my vintage Les Paul, and put stickers on it, just to make it look more like Pete's.

Even though Pete doesn't even like those guitars.

It's funny how he and Clapton ditched the other guitars and went to Strats, and Pete plays Clapton signature Strats.

12. jojo

jojo Senior Member

His LP's are FUGLY imo.

1 person likes this.
  13. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

[​IMG]

14. Who

^^^^ I don't think he's sarcastic or stupid.

I feel similarly about Bob Dylan. I have zero clue why he's famous or considered good, much less influential. Yet people who knew that age better than I do saw Dylan as a real force.

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  15. pmonk

pmonk Senior Member

I thinks one dislike colors people's opinions.

I can't stand Frank Zappa's music, but I would never question is legacy and/or influence to rock music.

Plus, one cannot question that Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia is one of the greatest string of albums made in rock history.

16. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Yeah but can you do this?

[​IMG]

I didn't think so.
    :D

I Can't Explain
    My Generation
    Summertime Blues (Cover)

Live at Leeds
    Tommy
    Who's Next
    Quadrophenia

The Who's contribution is HUGE.

17. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

A friend of mine sent me this pic of one of Pete's victims from some british museum:

[​IMG]

bulletproof, ajory72 and Who like this.
  18. SHERIFF

SHERIFF Senior Member

listen to Quadrophenia properly, man...

Duane_the_tub and Who like this.
  19. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

Another huge contribution, when Pete was writing Tommy (1968,) "He also wanted the material performed in concert, to counteract the trend of bands like the Beatles and the Beach Boys, whose studio output was not designed for live performance." According to Who biographer Dave Marsh.

"Their stage act relied on Townshend smashing his guitar or Moon demolishing his drums, which kept the group in debt. Townshend and Lambert realised they needed a larger vehicle for their music than hit singles, and a new stage show."*

So, he set about writing, "a series of songs that stood well in isolation, but formed a cohesive whole on the album. He also wanted the material performed in concert."*

And thus came the first viable Rock Opera. A new genre.

I#n addition, I put Pete into that class of guitarist who created a whole new approach to playing guitar. Players such as him and, say Jeff Beck, Brian May, Keef, and Jimi, did things previously never done before. As opposed to players like Clapton, Trower, Setzer, et al who mastered their genres. (Not to posit one camp over another. Both are equally valid, and demand equal rigor of dedication, creativity and inspiration.)

(Not to mention John being a lead bass player, and Moonie being the real front man.)

*Also from Marsh.

4 people like this.
  20. Stinky Kitty

Stinky Kitty Senior Member

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkfi5KuNq7Y[/ame]

1 person likes this.