Perspective: "Winter Manliness vs Trivial Thoughts" Edition

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by LesLuvva, Jan 22, 2014.

1. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

So I live in the Metro DC area. We just got more snow then we've seen over the last few years (which, in the grand scheme, really isn't that much; like 8 inches or so), and temps are lower than they have been in about 20 years, at least according to what I've been reading. Anyway I was just out walking the dog and thinking how freakin' cold it is; wind chill in the below zero range.

Then I think about the posts I see from folks on MLP who live where it actually gets cold; I'm talking the upper Midwest, New England, and Canada. I'd die if I lived there. Don't know where my winter manliness went, but it went, and I don't think it's coming back.

You know, I used to watch Deadliest Catch and think "I could do that." Now, uh...no I couldn't. Then I think "how the hell did they survive before electricity, or living on the prairie way back when, or even now?" My tough guy meter is pegged at "not so much."

That is all.

3 people like this.
  2. Kalamazuu

Kalamazuu Senior Member

When I was running this week, I spit, and some got on my face and I apparently didn't do a good job wiping it off. When we got to a stoplight sometime said something, and I wiped it off, and it was frozen, on my chin.

2 people like this.
  3. Fracture

Fracture Senior Member

It does get old, this winter (Chicago) is the coldest in 20 years.
    Garage is a must, so is a basement. Cold slab floors suck.
    Remote starters on the cars and heated seats are another must.

But when spring arrives, we get great thunderstorms and winter is quickly forgotten.
    The more snow we get, the greener the spring.
    I'd rather deal with the cold than try to endure the heat of the south and southwest.
    Phoenix and Las Vegas are very nice in the summer if you're a baked ****ing potato

1 person likes this.
  4. dave b

dave b Senior Member

I'm heading to Florida soon.( see pg.1 in How To Deal With Winter)) Can I get a description of your winter manliness, so as to keep an eye out for him..........................cuz you know that's where he went:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  5. geochem1st

geochem1st V.I.P. Member

People change too. I used to have a very high tolerance to cold. - 40 F living in upstate NY was no problem. Working above the Arctic Circle was no problem.

Now it's a problem. I can't stand the cold. My body has changed. The last 6 years living in the south plus being older may have something to do with it. It goes to 30 F and I'm bundling up like it's -40 :laugh2:

2 people like this.
  6. poncho

poncho Banned

I love cold weather, winter is one of my fave times of year. This being said, a wind chill of -20 degrees is a bit much for me

Nothing beats a wintry sunset when there's snow on the ground as far as I'm concerned

1 person likes this.
  7. jonas335

jonas335 Senior Member

Yeah, I'm over 60 and I really feel the cold these days- I could never live on the Canadian prairies like I did as a kid and young man...

2 people like this.
  8. Paracelsian

Paracelsian Senior Member

Same here, I used to tolerate sub-zero like it was 65 degrees. I even worked at night in an unheated barn in just a long sleeve T, coldest it got was -22 before windchill. I stood outside in negative in a short sleeve once just to see how much I could take and to dispel the "your skin will start to freeze instantly" myth to my family.
    Now? Not so much. CO. gets cold, but where I am on the front range its usually very mild and bluebird skies 300+ days a year. Mountains protect us usually. It got up to 64 degrees last weekend:) Go 20 miles west though and its a whole different story. But clothing is so good now that as long as you dress properly you can handle some very cold temps comfortably. Our last ski trip was at -13, and I was opening all the vents on my gear to keeping from getting logged in sweat.

2 people like this.
  9. poncho

poncho Banned

Uhh, I also like holding hands and candle lit dinners:laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  10. Paracelsian

Paracelsian Senior Member

So, what are you doing next Friday?:cool2:

3 people like this.
  11. poncho

poncho Banned

Like you don't know:laugh2:

Wot up P-man, nice to see ya bud

12. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

You make some great points. I was just talking about this the other day with my dad; he's in his early 70s, lives in Florida (where else?), was getting a bit of cold weather this week as well. He tells me the cold affects him now when it never used to, always wearing a jacket anymore.

Way back when I moved to Houston. Prior to that, I had no problems with the cold, even looked forward to it. But I think the Texas heat beat the cold tolerance right out of me; seems to get worse every year.

It felt like Hoth out there today.

1 person likes this.
  13. LesLuvva

LesLuvva Senior Member

...and long walks on the beach...

1 person likes this.