Permanent Daylight Savings Time in Florida?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Roberteaux, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Roberteaux

Roberteaux V.I.P. Member

This next weekend might be the last time that Floridians have to put up with the annoying business of adjusting their clocks for Daylight Savings Time. :thumb:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...ll-would-make-daylight-saving-time-year-round

The brainchild of an entymologist and astronomer named George Hudson, DST was first implemented on a nationwide basis by the former German Empire and Austria-Hungary in 1916, ostensibly as a method of saving energy that might otherwise be used within the war industries of those nations at that time.

Since then, a lot of other countries saw that there were many aspects of the program that would likewise benefit them. In the US, it has been an on-again, off-again kind of initiative-- and a royal pain in the ass to those workers who were forced to adjust to it biannually.

Last February, a bill called the "Sunshine Protection Act" that would eliminate the time changes in Florida passed the senate, and the bill is now sitting on our governor's desk. However, the governor's office hasn't said whether the man plans to veto the measure, sign the bill into law, or just ignore it-- in which case it would pass into law without his signature.

Of course, right now the Florida gov'ner has a lot of other things on his mind when it comes to legislation... this particular bill is probably the least of his worries at this moment.

If it goes through, however, Florida will join with Hawaii and select parts of Arizona that likewise have done away with flipping the clocks back and forth.

In general, the closer to the equator an area is, the less difference it makes to begin with. In fact, most equatorial nations have never bothered with Daylight Savings Time at all.

But what's interesting was to read that several New England states-- specifically Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Maine--are currently considering implementing the same measure within their territories.

I'm retired, and so it doesn't make a speck of difference to me what they do with the clocks... but back when I was still gainfully employed, I would have danced for joy had they done away with the clock-changing thing. It was a nuisance.

--R

2. JTM45

JTM45 Premium Member

I like that idea a ton, enough with the darkness!

Tone deaf, HeartString and Roberteaux like this.
  3. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I wouldn't mind if this became a national trend.

4. lucidspoon

lucidspoon Senior Member

As someone who didn't have to change before but do now (Indiana), I prefer changing with the rest of the country. It was always a pain to figure out which timezone we matched up with.

5. HeartString

HeartString Non Prominent MBR Premium Member

Never liked the time change.

e1Icsj3.png

6. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

I hate standard time. It's so depressing in the winter. Dark at 5pm and then the evening feels like it just goes on forever. So I have been wanting a permanent DST for as long as I can remember.

7. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

more sunlight all year round for everyone!

8. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

It's time to stop this time change garbage.

9. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Standard time sucks!

tazzboy, Roberteaux and Roxy13 like this.
  10. Roxy13

Roxy13 Senior Member

And I'm near the western edge of the eastern zone. So in December is it dark at 4pm in NYC? I know when a friend from there used to come here to visit me the week of July 4th he was amazed it was light here until 10pm, so winter must be really horrible for them.

I know I would come home from work and maybe need to plow the driveway and clean stalls and there just wasn't enough time sometimes before it was dark. Glad there are headlights on the tractor, but still. BTW, my outdoor lighting isn't great, being in the country and having a really long driveway.

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  11. Dun Ringill

Dun Ringill Premium Member

I hope it passes!

cherrysunburst00 and Roberteaux like this.
  12. JTM45

JTM45 Premium Member

What is the advantage to keeping it? who benefits from it?

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  13. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

sounds like a winner to me.maybe he could ban days under 80 degrees too.february here was great,march,not so much.

14. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I go through so many time zones in my job I don’t even notice it when I’m home. Every time we come back from Asia we turn our clocks forward an hour a day for 8-9 days straight.
    DST is kind of an annoyance when I’m home, but not too bad, since I don’t punch a clock on land, and the kids are gonna get up when they feel like it anyway.

15. LP121

LP121 Senior Member

Was just talking about this on Monday. Would love to see us on DST forever more. Probably ease the cases of Seasonal Affective Disorder too.

16. electric head

electric head Just passing thru Premium Member

They have pretty much debunked all the reasons for it in the first place.
    Changes are popping up all over the place it seems nowadays so why not this??

17. Mannish Boy

Mannish Boy Senior Member

That would be A-O Farking-K with me.

18. Caleb

Caleb Senior Member

Isn't this like the one area where Indiana is on the cutting edge of anything? :D

EDIT: Just saw lucidspoon's post. Nevermind.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2018
    Roberteaux likes this.
  19. parts

parts Senior Member

So..what is this DST clock adjusting thing ?

Arizona..
    We don need no stinkin' DST..

20. pnuggett

pnuggett Senior Member

Glad we don't change the clocks in AZ. The exception being the Navajo Nation. Indiana changes their time but they have two different time zones in the state.

THDNUT and Roberteaux like this.