Pentatonic scale tricks

Discussion in 'Guitar Lessons' started by rudarb, May 11, 2009.

1. olschoolblues

olschoolblues Senior Member

but....do we need to name the things we play (with out knowing me after reading that i know every one must realize i don't know any theory)

just play what you can and pick up trick along the way. if sitting in a room with a teacher isnt your thing just jam if your having fun you doing it right!

2. hamp

hamp Member

Now here's what's cool..if you slide up to the next position of the major pentatonic, you land smack dab in the middle of the minor pentatonic based at the fifth fret. This a staple of all of the great pentatonic players from B.B. to Page to Clapton. It's like having chocolate and vanilla swirled ice cream, and if it doesn't instantly add more flavor to your playing, I'll kiss your...well, maybe not that, but if it doesn't, perhaps you should consider taking up another hobby. ;oP[/QUOTE]

I am not sure I follow. I understand that the root note of the maj pent is played with the pinkey finger and min with the first, but what do you mean middle of the minor in 5th fret?

3. dynabite

dynabite Senior Member

I play the major Pentatonic inside the minor box and sometimes fuze them.

4. InfiniteeZ

InfiniteeZ Senior Member

Good post man!

5. fatb0t

fatb0t Senior Member

Once you learn your pentatonic boxes you should learn the major scale and the seven chords derived from it. Once you know your major scale and how to make chords out of it you'll be on your way to some serious ass kicking guitar solos.

6. SaM HiLL

SaM HiLL Junior Member

Note how the second position of the major overlaps the minor based at the 5th fret. Some of the notes are the same, some different, so you can add a lot of spice to your playing by alternating/combining major and minor pentatonic riffs without shifting hand position.

I like starting in 1st position, then sliding up to second position on the G string from the 4th to 6th fret, then playing the E note at the 5th fret B string followed by the F# at the 7th fret B string, and then the root on the 5th fret of the high E string. That's pure pentatonic major, and it's so easy to throw just about any minor pentatonic lick on the end of it. This is just one example of the many ways to switch from major to minor pentatonic.

[​IMG]

7. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

Attached Files:

8. paulygates

paulygates Senior Member

Nice diagramn River.

I have been learning these positions recently. Have you heard of the CAGED system? This is where you learn these shapes as your diagramn. The two common shapes people use are E and A. It probably makes more sense when you learn the major scale in the CAGED system.
    I am probably not explaining it well.

Try this:

CAGED Guitar System: How To Make The Most Of It

9. River

River Senior Member

Here's djlogan's pic "in our faces". DJ, I agree that it's "just" a matter of changing emphasis, ending, and passing notes when you shift down for the major. It helps me personally to consider it a different box altogether. My favorite pentatonic major solo is in Led Zeppelin's live cover of Fats Domino's "Blueberry Hill".
    [​IMG]

10. SaM HiLL

SaM HiLL Junior Member

Hey DJ,

Nice to see another Buckeye on here. I'm just east of Dayton myself.

To answer your questions in a forum post would be opening a can of worms that would likely lead to more questions and probably just leave you more confused.

Since you don't live too awfully far from me, if you are into taking a short road trip, I'd be willing to sit down with you and show you how all of this relates. If you are up for it, PM me and I will give you my phone number.

11. toad

toad Member

Hey guys, Another buckeye here:). This is a great thread. Love it.
    Todd

12. rambler

rambler Senior Member

funny how these problems only come up with guitarists. Teachers seem to teach patterns without ever teaching the notes behind them. If you were taught the notes on your guitar, and then told that the A minor pentatonic scale is A, C, D, E, G, you'd eventually work out the pattern over the whole fretboard and learn all positions (and also know where each note is).

Most teachers just teach the shapes and leave out the very simple theory, so problems like the ones shown in this thread occur... so stupid, teachers should just teach the notes instead of patterns. It takes a bit longer to learn this way, but when you come to playing in an actual musical setting, it's so much easier to keep up, because you aren't limited by shapes...

13. SaM HiLL

SaM HiLL Junior Member

Man, glad I'm not a teacher

14. SaM HiLL

SaM HiLL Junior Member

Howdy Todd:) Where in Ohio are you?

A minor pentatonic scale is A, C, D, E, G, and don't you forget it LMAO!

15. rambler

rambler Senior Member

most teachers don't care too much about how they teach you, they just want to teach you for quick results and quick money. I had a great teacher who would never do weekly lessons, because he said the stuff he taught each lesson wasn't possible to learn in one week, so I learned it all, then gave him a call and had another lesson, ended up being a month, sometimes even 2-3 months before lessons (this is at intermediate level playing, learning jazz theory and improvisation and putting it all in practice with tracks). Some teachers do more harm than good really...

16. Wizzle

Wizzle Banned

Here's the major pentatonic in A:
    [​IMG]

Familiar?

17. tintin

tintin Senior Member

18. djlogan33

djlogan33 Senior Member

19. #1guitarman

#1guitarman Senior Member

:applause:MY HAT (ok, HAIR:shock:)IS OFF TO THESE GUYS!:applause: What a great thread! "I's da blues main, gotta have 'em 'fore ya can play 'em, 'cause den ya FEELS 'EM"... Muddy Waters...:cool:

20. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

cool thread