Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Here is my whole gear setup from guitars to amps to pedals:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CheopisIV, switchback and Gibsonblues like this.
  2. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

I don't know what the average age is here but I'm pushing 50 (it's a couple years away). I've played since I was 13. One of the side benefits of age is that you find a few things along the way that compliment your hobbies and passions.

This may sound goofy but I don't think that I spent a bunch of money on the pedals. I'll discover something that I really like and watch eBay or craigslist I'll stop at Music Go Round and eventually find a deal.

We bought a new house about 18 months ago that was built by a realtor. He put an office in the basement with a big closet with overhead lighting in the closet. That office became my music room. It only took 34 years of playing for me to get a "room".

I can show you the room but all guitars are in cases (most of them). We have two dogs and one of them weighs 100 pounds and loves to bounce and jump on things. I won't even hang guitars on the walls; I'm way too paranoid. I think that guitargibson1988 has an amazing room. I have mostly Les Paul and Telecaster electrics. My acoustics outnumber my electrics. I only gig acoustic.

I worked in a nice guitar shop in college (early 80's). The guys with most gear/best gear were always the really old farts. Cool old guys with white hair and 1950's Les Pauls that they had bought new!

:dude:

John

Hector Arcadius and Gibsonblues like this.
  3. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

John - Know where you are coming from :) Hey I'm 52 and I've been playing since I was a squirt - musicians run genetically in my family :laugh2: and I'm one of many. Raised two kids to adulthood (age wise that is :D) and got one graduated from A&M a couple of years ago. The oldest is a musician :fingersx: living and gigging in LA and NY now back in Austin. I've spent money on them just about all of their lives but now they are on their on and it's just me and mama :applause: :lol: God I love that woman :D I never played professional but had the opportunities but just chose a different road. Since music runs deep in the veins I've been battling the urge to pursue the music scene again (middle age crazy) but just haven't got there yet. Not sure if I really want to but fun to dream about. I've been adding to my collection over the last few years and I tremendously love this thing we call music (rock to be more precise). I'm finally able to get a few nice goodies that I wouldn't spend money on in the past. Thanks for sharing and it sounds like we have similar backgrounds..... GB

4. Gibsonblues

Austin - Nice stuff and thanks for posting :thumb: You know though, it's just further proof of your illness :laugh2: I worry about you, really I do :lol: GB

5. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

My mom was the best soprano in her highschool class and my bad the best bass. They were put together in solo ensemble contests and in musicals so often that they started dating.

When I was in the 6th grade my parents put me in voice lessons and piano followed. I hated piano and a hippy aunt of mine suggested that mom and dad put me in guitar lessons because guitar was easier to learn and sing along with than starting piano. The same hippy aunt had an old Yamaha acoustic that she loaned me and I started after school lessons. This was in 1975. The guitar really stuck with me.

I have a couple group guitar photos....these are favorites out of the 35 that are here....

Lesters....

[​IMG]

Tele's....

[​IMG]

Larrivee's....

[​IMG]

My room....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I saw in my parents that music was something that I could do my whole life. Cool.

John

switchback likes this.
  6. Gibsonblues

John - Wonderful family stuff, cool! :thumb: Great photos of your gear :applause: I'm in the process of getting my "man cave / music room" finished. The wife and I spent most of today painting. I took off all the doors etc.. and we just about have it finished. I hope to have a suitable music room / recording studio in the next few months. Will get some pictures up when I get it finished. I sold off a number of guitars to fund college and a few amps too. Wished I had them all back and it would be nice :thumb: Thanks for posting the gear. It was fun to look at it :lol: Tony

7. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Nice to see the bonding of a couple of old farts :applause: what am I saying I'm 43 :wow: BTW: Nice rooms and gear !

Gibsonblues likes this.
  8. Gibsonblues

Yea... I know ..... but I got overcome with emotion for a brief minute :D It doesn't happen very often :laugh2: Well at least I can dream a little :lol: Well 43 huh, you are getting very very close to that ol' dusty fart syndrome age so look out :dude::Ohno: hehehehe..... GB

switchback likes this.
  9. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

Wow, y'all have some GEAR!! :dude:

I need to direct my wife to this thread so she'll realize that I don't have it so bad. All my stuff will fit on one pic... :D

Gibsonblues and Hector Arcadius like this.
  10. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

My wife keeps horses. She and our daughter compete riding English Saddle.

Guitars don't eat while we sleep. Beware pets that eat while you sleep!

We both have hobbies and we keep it all fair.

11. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Horses??!! That is expensive! Back in my banker days, I would laugh when I would see folks list them as assets on their personal financial statements!! :laugh2:

I have TS10 envy by the way, Studio! Since that young whiper-snapper Mayer guy started using them, I can't bring myself to pay what they are going for, but I used that pedal for most of my formative years playing then got like $30 for it. Man I have my head up my A$$ sometimes!! :sadwave:

12. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Welcome 2009 and we here feel your pain losing your loved one (TS10), but since we are all SICK ... go out and BUY another one, whatever the cost because the PAS disease demands it ...:wow:

13. GrouchyDog

GrouchyDog Senior Member

I thought this was a support group for those with a problem, but it appears to be an enablement group instead.

Meh, whatever - I think I'll stick around anyway. :laugh2:

Last thing I need (ROFLOL, oh man I kill me!!!) is a high-gain pedal, I'm starting to PAS for Wampler stuff... Please tell me it's OK, I don't need it. Or tell me it's OK to buy one. Either way's fine by me.

switchback likes this.
  14. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Buy one! You KNOW you want to! :naughty: :D :laugh2:

Wampler stuff is amazing. I plan to buy several more at Christmas. I still say the Paisley Drive is the best overdrive pedal. Honeymoon's come and go but I always go back to saying the Paisley is the best. That pedal will be buried with me. Worth every penny.

15. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Justify it to yourself like this: just because it's capable of high gain, it does not mean that you will use it at the maximum potential of it's gain. Get the Soldano-clone. Gary Moore used a Soldano and he played the blues. You get the idea. Now go for it! :laugh2:

(how was that...? :naughty:)

switchback likes this.
  16. switchback

switchback Senior Member

OK I see the need for some intervention, first you NEED it and you need it because the demo's and reviews don't really do it justice. A PAS'er is not satisfied with just seeing others use it.....no, a PAS'er must touch it, turn the knobs, hook it up and open it up HIMSELF. Second, go BUY it, as that will be the one and only solution to doing the forementioned with such pedal.......... and you thought this was a SUPPORT group !!! :laugh2:

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  17. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

yeah, support group... to the pedal makers!

:laugh2: :laugh2::laugh2:

18. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

Lol, I was thinking of jumping in and describing my own problem with pedals, but I don't have a problem. It started out innocently enough in the same way as everyone else in here...tried one or two, then that turned to handfulls, then it turned to multiples of some...
    but I got control of it now. I mean, I still buy a pedal or two or three, or.... but its not a problem...
    I can quit at any time and I only do it socially.

Then, I started building them, you know...grow your own and control what's going into it. But why stop there, I can offer my own at cheaper prices to all my friends and help them out. Yeeeah, then I can pretend it's a full on business on the up and up and my wife thinks I'm going into the basement for hours on end to devote my time to designing and planning and building, but in actual fact I do a lot more tone seeking and playing around with what's on the board. You know, change this resistor and add another capacitor...no no no, let's try a different type of cap and no resistor...ohhhh, yeah that's the sound, now lets see about this side of things....and all of a sudden, it's tomorrow and I do have a better sound, but I can still make it better...

I DO test all my own wares, but that's the only way I can ensure everyone else is getting the same quality as me. It's for their benefit, and yeah I enjoy it...doesn't mean I have a problem does it?!?! :shock: No, no no, I don't have a problem. I AM in control. Now, see that guy over there? He definitely has a problem. I wonder if I can help him out?

Hector Arcadius and switchback like this.
  19. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Yes, yes, yes this is the type of member we are searching for, welcome (everybody says "hi") I see your sickness has dragged you to the lower depths of deceit and thereby twisting your mind into growing your own...... if I could only be so lucky !!:naughty::D

CheopisIV and Hector Arcadius like this.
  20. CheopisIV

CheopisIV Copper Slinger MLP Vendor

:wave: Thanks for the warm welcome, but I assure you you're wrong. I don't have a problem, it's not an addiction, just a... um... hobby? I mean sure... I get angry and depressed when I don't get to dabble, build or acquire, but it's only because I enjoy my time spent on it. I don't need to do this, I just want to and can quit any time. I am in complete control.

Oh, did I mention I just ordered a Joyo Ultimate drive so I can do my own A/B comparo with the Freekish Alpha drive? I know its documented and there's pics and soundclips everywhere online, but I should do it myself just to be sure...and I'll keep em both because there's no point selling something that's such a conversation item!

Problem...noooooo.