Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. switchback

switchback Senior Member

"Fair and Square" ;) sure..... anything you say :D

2. switchback

switchback Senior Member

3. Guitar Freak

Guitar Freak Senior Member

:laugh2:

4. mmillington6

mmillington6 Junior Member

My family tells me I have a problem. I've been playing guitar for 8 years, and for the first 7 years and 8 months, I acquired four guitars, one amp, seven pedals (sold two), and went through hundreds of sets of strings and a couple gross of picks.

My rig in June:
    Nylon classical acoustic from a local music store
    Dean Acoustic
    Fender ‘70s Reissue Strat
    2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Vox V847
    Dunlop Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
    Boss BD-2
    MXR Dynacomp
    Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe (Original)

It was never a big problem. They could see my progress as a guitar player, so getting a better instrument and wanting to make different sounds was understandable. Over the last four months, though, things have changed.

Having not bought any gear in several years (except a new set of tubes), I started to browse the merch. at the local guitar shops, plus the new Guitar Center in town. I saw and heard so many wonderful things, but I needed to compare prices, so I turned to the internet. I wanted to make upgrades, but I wanted to be smart about it.

I work at a local pizza place and started to save tip money for recreational purposes, and I hit my $3300 goal in July. (Don't ask why $3300. Numbers and patterns are an entirely different syndrome that I don't have time to get into...except to say that the parallelism of a four-digit integer comprised of a pair of repeated integers bears such a harmonious...I'm sorry, guys. It's totally under control. Seriously.) I decided to use my tip money for only the NECESSARY upgrades to my rig. Now that I've started to act according to plan, my family says I have a problem. But it's MY MONEY!!!

I'm all grown up now. I have an apartment, but it's not the kind of place you want packages sitting outside the door for four hours until you get home from work. My parents let me use their address for packages, but I'm not sure they can handle the burden I've become. Packages large and small showing up unannounced, sometimes three in a day. A week may pass, then another three in a single day. They can no longer surrender counter space for the packages I need to retrieve, and the trashcans are overflowing with packing peanuts and wadded up balls of tape. They say I need to save my money, and, occasionally, I get the "Do you really need all this stuff?" comment, followed by "You don't NEED it, you WANT it." Will Smith was right: parents just don't understand. I wouldn't buy an ATA flight case for my pedalboard if I didn't NEED it. I mean, I don't travel a whole lot, and gigs are always in town and happen once a month, but my pedals NEED protection. And I can't have floppy patch cables running between my pedals. I NEEDED to buy some Mogami cable and flat pan plugs and build meticulously measured patches. And, of course, I needed to buy a new temperature-controlled soldering iron, 1 lb. of 60/40 solder, a bottle of flux, and a flux application bottle. I will not have any cold solder joints in my rig.

Here's a quick list of all the things I needed over the last four months (plus a few pictures from before I secured everything with velcro):

Amps:
    Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue
    Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

Pedals:
    Boss DS-1
    Fulltone Clyde Standard
    Korg Pitchblack Tuner
    T.C. Electronics ND-1
    Zvex Box of Metal Vexter
    Zvex Box of Rock Vexter
    Zvex Fuzz Factory

Misc:
    ATA Pedalboard case
    Soldering Iron (plus solder, flux, applicator)
    50 ft. Mogami cable
    30 ft. of Tech Flex
    25 Flat pan plugs
    T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior

I needed to save money on buying power supplies and batteries, so, of course I needed the T-Rex Fuel Tank Junior. I mean, I bought two of the Vexter line from Zvex. How can it be called frivolous spending when only one of your three Zvex pedals is handpainted?

Yeah, get a clue, Mom and Dad. I mean, I bought a Clyde Standard, instead of the Deluxe. Plus, I bought the ’65 Deluxe Reverb instead of the Twin, and the Marshall DSL401, instead of a Plexi halfstack. And they question my judgment? I've made serious compromises, and of my own free will.

You can see the rage I feel when they try to tell me I don’t need these things, that I have a problem. I knew there were others like me out there. I’m glad I’ve found this forum.

…because I need to order the parts for the Group Build some of you guys did recently, and I need to figure out a way to A/B my amps but still run my ND-1 in Stereo (I hope it’s possible), test a few buffer pedals to see if they’ll improve my signal, and I need to swap my Fuzz Face for something more practical, like something from the Roger Mayer line, or I could settle for some more Fulltone. And I need to look at some of Analog Man’s stuff, maybe a mod for my DS-1 and BD-2…I never realized how much I needed…

Attached Files:

lilkuku and Hector Arcadius like this.
  5. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Welcome mmillington and thanks for sharing, Awesome ! Ok need,want, need, want and it goes on and on .... I say we ALWAYS NEED,NEED,NEED so BUY,BUY,BUY ....... but, and I quote "you are all grown up now" so you probably have figured this out by now. I appreciate your take on THE sickness and its great to have you in the family :applause:

6. mmillington6

mmillington6 Junior Member

Thanks, Switchback. Sometimes we all need a little nudge.

7. switchback

switchback Senior Member

How right you are :naughty:

8. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I am not part of this group. I can see that YOU have problems. Like I said, if only my wife would lay off me, it is not like the dog really needs to eat everyday and the d*** phone company (a bunch of cheats anyway) can wait a couple of weeks extra for their money.

9. blamo

blamo Senior Member

if buying gear isn't putting you in the hole (money wise) i don't think it's a problem.

i keep a $0 balance on my credit card. and i inted it to stay that way. i pay my mortgage and my bills on time all the time, and I have money in the bank in case i lose my job that should last me a 3-6 months.

having said that, I am single, and make decent money and try to rationalize my purchases, even though i don't "need" any of it. i could honestly get by with my AC4 and my epi les paul in stock form.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  10. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Why you accusing ME I don't have a problem ...... Whats that sweetheart ? anniversary present ? ......... do you like fuzz or overdrive :wow:

Gibsonblues and Guitar Freak like this.
  11. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Welcome

12. switchback

switchback Senior Member

Thanks for sharing Blamo, I suspect this isn't the group for you as you clearly have control. But, you are welcome all the same :applause: Unless I might detect a closet PAS'er in our midst :hmm::naughty:

13. blamo

blamo Senior Member

haha....i've bought 3 pedals and 2 sets of pick ups this month... ahem...looking to get a 4th pedal here soon as well...

Gibsonblues and switchback like this.
  14. switchback

switchback Senior Member

I knew it :applause:

15. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

eh he ..... :hmm: nah, you are not well! :lol:

16. studio1087

studio1087 Senior Member

Two pedal boards plus this......

[​IMG]

I love love love pedals.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. switchback

switchback Senior Member

WOW :) Nice shrine, studio and welcome....... need I say more !!!

18. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

John (Studio1087) is a quite severe case, if I may. Not only has he PAS but also suffers from original GAS (guitar acquisition syndrome). If only he posts a photo from his guitar collection...:naughty:

19. firesgt911

firesgt911 Senior Member

Man, I think it's awesome that your collection goes from dirt cheap to awesome boutique. It shows an appreciation of the complete tonal spectrum. But I must say, that Timmy is just sitting there wasting space. You should trade it for my Lovepedal Eternity! LOL! Seriously though, if I had shelves like that in my music room, I'd be in big trouble. They are just begging to be filled with pedals!

**Edit**

Actually, I used to...

[​IMG]

20. Gibsonblues

Gibsonblues Senior Member

:wow: Studio1087 - me thinks you are beyond help :cool: with NO HOPE of recovery :lol: