Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Well for all day yesterday that I was home, and most of today I've just been playing the AMP...no pedals. Which is rare for me. I looooove the drive of this amp. OMG, did I just say that? Finally an amp I can stand to play straight through that isn't a little 10w combo that isn't loud enough to gig with.

But I did give in and start going through my board and I have a bit of a problem. All of my drives on the board right now are a bit too dark and midrangey for this beast. It's a fat sounding warm midrangey amp. It loves my "effects", but like 2/3rds of my drive section just won't work for me.

So I need some transparent or brighter drives like pretty damn quick. OMG I miss my tubescreamer collection baaaaaah, etc. :p I'm used to pushing some serious mids with my smiley face EQ amp. This amp is deep, midrangey as I said, and maybe a bit more beefy than what I'm used to. I tried messing with the EQ on my drives, and it just doesn't quite cut it, except for a couple of pedals. So that's a major change for me. I have to deal with it. Can't be too bassy or midrangey, I needs me some upper mid and treble and or a flat eq (truly flat) or even a bit scooped. It's truly a different ballgame.

So I have those kinds of pedals hanging out on a shelf. I'm thinking things that maybe aren't as high in gain, and more boosty/light drivey type stuff with maybe one medium/medium high gain if I want to go totally clean on the amp. I think my Winford Drive will stay because the EQ is so damn versatile I can make that sucker sound good into anything. That will be my gut buster I think. I also can make it a boost very nicely also. Yeah, it's staying put.

The thing is, I'm not selling my vintage Black/Silver Fenders either. So where as before my board worked with all of my amps because they all had the same EQ/tone curve, not it's not so. I'm thinking of making half of my drives work for one and half for the other, as I really don't want more than one board together at a time. But I don't want more drives than I have now. Instead of 6 maybe 3 and 3 or 4 and 4 (though it would be 8, hmm).

So tomorrow is going to be dedicated to playing musical overdrives and swapping them out to find what I need and rebuild the dirt side of my board.

I will however, likely be selling my 65amps Ventura at some point and DEFINITELY the 5153. I might hang onto the Ventura, we'll see. I want to try some new tubes in it and see if maybe I like it better. Seems a bit quiet for being 20w. The 5153 though is just not my bag. I'm a single channel amp man. :)

kboman and northernguitarguy like this.
  2. gbroadhurst

gbroadhurst Premium Member

Xmas came early, a maple top charcoal burst PRS 408.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All I can say is it's a very well built guitar, no flaws, no stop tail lowering, no trem setup required, no sticky nitro.

kboman, Brocko and Hector Arcadius like this.
  3. gibsonguitar1988

I don't know if we've ever talked about PRS, but I love them. For that exact reason you described. I do block the trem as I'm a heavy handed guy, but it's not their fault. Most people want to use it. Their flawless setup, finish options, wood choice, and playability is second to none. I love that guitar! Nice.

kboman and gbroadhurst like this.
  4. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I see your PRS and I raise you an EVH:

[​IMG]

5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I've currently got three pedals on my board, five if you count the volume pedal and the preamp. No I'm not ill, an explanation will be forthcoming... :)

Until then - merry christmas my friends!

6. Hector Arcadius

Merry Christmas, my PAS brothers! Enjoy the time with your families and loved ones!

73171, kboman and northernguitarguy like this.
  7. Hector Arcadius

Oh, in the meantime, things have been fuzzy around here...

[​IMG]

:dude:

8. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Ooh, I likes me fuzz, best. Enjoy, friend! It's been Bugg-y around here, NPD thread to follow.

Great joy to all, my FX addicted brethren! Have a very, Merry Christmas! :cheers:

Hector Arcadius and kboman like this.
  9. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Oh man I can't wait!

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  10. gibsonguitar1988

Very nice Hec.

I've always wanted a Floyd Rose guitar because I'm a huge 80s fan but A - I'm too heavy handed to have a floating tremolo B - for a simpleton like me they are a bitch to string C - I'm not a shredder. I'm a classic rock/blues guy. I love DeMartini for instance, but it's not what I like to play/do play like.

But I have a 1988 MIJ black Fender Strat that was modified to HSS and I think it'd look better with a Floyd but I'm not gonna do it because I'd hate it.

11. gibsonguitar1988

Merry Christmas PAS friends that are celebrating!

Have a good one. I'm going to be playing the sh!t out of my new amp, eating too much food, and watching movies. :p

12. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Ok, so here's my new plan for conquering pedal GAS: I asked my wife for a relatively small board for Christmas, a Blackbird Feather Board XL. This will now become my ONLY board, and my plan is to only keep as many pedals as will fit on this board at once (around 6-7). Selling the rest. Once I'm down to that small group, if I want/can't live without any new pedals, I have to sell or trade something off the board to make room for it.

We'll see how long this lasts, but it's a great plan. Right?

13. gibsonguitar1988

Good luck. :p

Moar pedals, moar better. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

14. Hector Arcadius

This is my first Floyd Rose guitar and sincerelly it is rocking my world! Not too difficult to re-string and set up, although it's dive only. I wanted a total '80s shred machine, one pickup, Floyd, crazy graphics. This one ticked all the boxes. DeMartini, EVH, Rhoads were all amazing but my personal favourite is actually George Lynch, from this particular period.

I am primarilly and always will be a Les Paul, fixed bridge and chunky neck kind of guy, through and through. But this one with the Floyd is ridiculous fun! Plus, the look is awesome too!

You have plenty of awesome axes, maybe you should give the Floyd a chance...

15. Duane_the_tub

Ok, so here is my new Christmas mini-board. Please excuse the rat's nest of wiring, I just threw it together with patch cables I had laying around to see how it sounded.

20171225_213941.jpg

I am having one major issue, though, that I could use some help with: Whenever I switch on the RV-3 with any of the pedals before it on, it emits an ear-piercing squeal. If everything before it in the chain is off, it functions perfectly. What's going on?

16. gbroadhurst

How are you powering the RV-3, is it daisy chained to other pedals power or isolated? If it's daisy chained try a battery for power see if the noise goes away.

17. Duane_the_tub

Thanks. All the pedals are plugged into a single power supply brick underneath, which supposedly provides isolated power. I will try powering the RV-3 separately and see if that helps.

18. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I kept the last setup for over a year, but the new Bugg demanded a place at the table....and then it sent the Cornish G2 clone packing. I thought that was the last fuzz pedal I'd ever need, but the Raincoat proved otherwise.
    On the end is the Bugg Syntech Harmonic Energizer clone and it's really neat. Dirty, spitty low-fi fuzz. It's in the 'tester' spot where the Soul Food lives. But this Bugg wants in, I gotta figure out how to squeeze it in. I'm not married to my reverb pedal, maybe a hunt for a mini-reverb is on? Maybe the tremelo takes up a lot of space for a basic surf/cowboy setting?

TBC.....

[​IMG]

19. gbroadhurst

Very nice @ngg

northernguitarguy likes this.
  20. gibsonguitar1988

So I grabbed a Walrus Audio Messner on their half off Winter sale from their site. I've always wanted one and for 100 bucks, why not. I think I will love it for my new amp since it's more of a transparent (I said it) drive. I always thought that was their best sounding drive. I guess I will find out soon enough.

And FINALLY RGS just shipped the Jackson Audio Prism I ordered on Black Friday. Sheesh. It was backordered for an eternity.