Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Quote Of The Day:

Joe Bonamassa can eat a dick.

(psst, if you wonder why, go check out the article on Reverb.com)

2. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I would strongly suggest a bag of dicks.

What an arrogant, ignorant, self-indulgent & self-righteous prick he is proven to be. I am really impressed and think that I have always disliked him. But he certainly surpassed himself.

3. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I don't' care! I have more money than talent, and I'll buy all the pedals in the world if I want to :D
    Maybe I should buy a '59 burst, strum it, and stare at my shoes all night - now that would be lazy, wouldn't it?

4. gibsonguitar1988

That'll work too.

Agreed.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I honestly thought he had a more open mind than that. Imagine being that boring!

6. gibsonguitar1988

The people that get off to Joe's comments are the old stuffy guys with vintage guitars and a thinking that anything other than Les Paul > cord > Plexi is just not cool. Most of them bankers, lawyers, doctors, and such. I have nothing against guys who play for the fun of it and not professionally, but don't look down your nose at others who do it differently. Sheesh.

It makes those of us who love vintage guitars and sing their praises and also classic rock diehards look bad as if we are all pretentious dicks who are stuck in the 60s/70s. You may not like a certain style, gear, or music, but you can't dismiss it as trash just because it isn't your thing.

I love old guitars and classic blues/rock n' roll, but no way do I discount new music or styles or gear and no way do I think everything has to be just like it was in 1970. There was a time when I would have been slightly stuffier, but not anywhere close to Joe's level and I think I've even opened up more, especially in terms of gear and music and it'd be good for Joe to do the same.

There is a reason he hangs out at the LPF and not MLP. MLP is too openminded and diverse for him. The LPF is more his style - old rich dudes with huge vintage guitar collections and think everything done past the 70s is utter garbage. And if it isn't a 50/60s guitar or amp, it's trash. And how dare you own a pedal unless it's an Echoplex, a Clyde era Wah, or a Fuzz Face. lol. They eat comments like these up with a spoon over at that place. They do know vintage guitars and a lot of details, but the corksniffery is so bad it just makes me want to scream. And I love vintage gear and old rock. But f@ck me, I'm not as stuck up as those people and Joe are. Never will be.

kboman, Hector Arcadius and JohnnyN like this.
  7. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

JB uses a massive pedalboard, a 4 amp head set up, plus a rack effects unit. He also has numerous signature pedals. What the F is he talking about?

8. kboman

kboman Senior Member

He did have that rig, not anymore though. Now he just has four vintage tweed fenders, a wha and a booster... Oh and loads of vintage Gibsons. Keeping it simple for the regular folks!

9. gibsonguitar1988

Tis true...

But if he wants to be all uppity about it, he probably should turn down future sig pedal offers or he just looks like a hypocrite, but he does already.

I mean the dude just put out the Doubleland Special 2 in 1 overdrive with Way Huge.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  10. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Ah i stand corrected! Thanks K.

But then he used all that stuff up until quite recently. Its still massive hypocrisy.

11. gbroadhurst

gbroadhurst Premium Member

Sadly the chap is rather goddamn boring. I listen to some of his music but I cannot whistle it back to you. His best work is with Beth Hart.

12. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

kboman likes this.
  13. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Coooool

14. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Yeah, enough about Bonamassa. Anyone know where I can score a Flux Capacitor delay? I don't even care how it works, I just want to look down at it on my board. @Brocko , do you own the one in your sig?

15. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Thats just a pic of the flux capacitor. I did think about building a Flux capacitor based pedal - bit more than just a delay. There is a guy who makes one but it looks fairly basic

16. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

17. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

Yeah, I emailed him quite a while ago asking to get put on any waiting list he might have (he doesn't) or to at least get a heads-up if he plans on releasing any more. Haven't heard a thing.

Of course it's silly, but I figured a thread like this is designed just for such silliness.

18. gibsonguitar1988

Sorry, but I had to say what I said. The guy is an overrated douchebag of the worst kind and I felt it had to be said as he was attacking a big population of great guitarists where pedals are their sound as much as anything else. He just showed his ass, as usual with the guy. No biggie.

19. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Back on topic...
    I picked up a Strymon timeline and an xotic ep booster tonight.
    Only fooled around with the timeline for a half hour, gonna take a while to learn this pedal. The ep booster is a nice and straight forward pedal. It with the timeline on d tape does a nice echoplexish tone.

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  20. gibsonguitar1988

I got a new pedal today, but I have a funny story to go with it.

I'm vacationing but I saw the Guitar Center had the Friedman Dirty Shirley OD, so I called to make sure they could keep it so I wouldn't travel over an hour for nothing.

There was a woman that answered in the accessories department, and holy hell was she a flirt.

Me, being a shy doofus, I played along the best I could. I had to tell her my full name and she said "suuuuuch a cool name". "I'd hate to see you drive all the way here honey to have it not be here, I'll hold it for you". "I'll be at lunch from X-Z and so if you could, be there after that or before that but if you have to, just tell whoever's working that I saved it for you". And I can't remember the exact phrases other than that but sweetheart, honey, etc was used a whole lot. She asked what kind of music I played, and what gear I had. I was beginning to blush a bit, thank god it was on the phone and not in person.

I can't say it was because she was trying to make a sale because I was already getting the pedal, I think she just likes to do it :D It made me smile, so I guess it was worth the feeling nervous. ;) I was taken aback more than anything. I'm used to bitchy people who act upset that you are bothering them, lmao.

So anywho, I make the trek up there after lunch, was late, and she is gone at lunch, so I got my pedal and left. I was a bit sad but also relieved I didn't have to worry about being a doofus in person, in case she tried to flirt in person. It's a bit easier to play along online or on the phone.

dickjonesify and kboman like this.