Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Way to go, Karl! Because... why the hell not? ;)

kboman likes this.
  2. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Right? :D

Hector Arcadius likes this.
  3. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

Wow, that I have to try. I even have an extra FS-5L.

By the way, I have a ton of stuff to setup my pedalboard with but I have been super busy. I will post some picks or a vid when I finally get around to doing the work.

kboman likes this.
  4. efstop

efstop Senior Member

I bought another pedal, even though I just received my TC electronic T2 reverb this past Monday. A TC Electronic Sub 'n' Up. I'll make a separate post.

5. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Good to see you back, Bede!

6. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

I have not bought a pedal in a year! What is wrong with me? I guess I like my stuffs! :) Nice to see everyone is still hangin' out! I was playing my LP through a revved up Champ today and thought about you guys in this thread, howdy from Alaska!

7. 73171

73171 Senior Member

Going thru pedals like crazy lately....returned the EHX Green Russian reissue..good pedal, but I like the EHX Deluxe Big Muff better.
    Now I have one of these on order....
    [​IMG]

8. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Hey, good to see you here!

That's ok, I've got enough pedals for the both of us.

I'm probably going to be holding off for a few months before I buy any more but I definitely have my eyes set on at least 4-5.

The latest pedals I got have proved to be worthwhile, and are still on the board.

2009LPGT likes this.
  9. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Ok, so I gigged the BE-OD, Rockaway Archer, and Majestic last weekend at Ausfest.

I really thought they all sounded amazing.

The Majestic was on for all of my dirty rhythm classic crunch tones. Anything classic rock or modern country that needed some crunch, that was the guy. It's a fairly low gain pedal, so I cranked that gain knob all the way up and it wasn't that gainy. The .45 Caliber definitely has more gain I think but I find myself gravitating to the Majestic. I find that funny because I always thought the .45 was JTM45 in a box, and I always thought Super Lead Plexi/JMP amps had more gain than JTM45s, and I thought the Majestic was the Plexi pedal. However, I think the .45 in some cases can sound heavier than the Majestic. Still, I dig the Majestic because it's got this thick gooey sound to it that just makes my bright Fenders sing with that Marshall tone. Probably the best lower gain MIAB I've ever tried, maybe even better than my beloved ZVEX Box Of Rock, which has always been my go to for a Malcolm Young-ish rhythm tone. But it may get dethroned.

The BE-OD was my solo pedal for anything hard rock or just really over the top. I'm not a shred guy, but anything needing some firepower, that was the pedal. Sounded good. Also good for a high gain rhythm thing but the BE-OD on this show was a solo pedal. And it killed. Really good.

The Rockaway Archer came in for anything where I just wanted a little gain. Cleaner rhythms with an edge of breakup Fender-y tone. A lot of blues shuffle type stuff. Or older sounding country. However, if I wanted to take a solo that wasn't screaming, I would put the Rockaway into the Majestic stacked for my solo instead of the BE-OD by itself for a solo. So I used it into the Majestic for some of my solos too and it worked well for a nice pushed classic Marshall tone.

My other electric guitarist at the show is a big shred metal/hard rock guy and he LOVED the BE-OD. He plays through a DSL Marshall and a Ibanez and he loved the tone. We are complete polar opposites as players, and that's why we work well together. We aren't trying to outplay each other. He takes the fast stuff, I do the bluesier rock leads, and we divvy(sp?) everything up between us and there is never any competing with each other than when we intentionally trade licks in the final song. I'm confortable being the non technical blues based rocker, and he's comfortable being the more technical faster fluid soloist. We really don't compete, and I love that as I hate any kind of competition, my self-esteem (ego) is far too sensitive for that hahaha.

We had 2 acoustic guitarists, and 2 electric guitarists. One of the acoustic guys brought an electric hollowbody but ended up playing mostly acoustic stuff. The other guy only brought an acoustic, and he was new to our little group, as it was an open format and anyone is welcome.

However, I lent the new guy an amp as we didn't have any ports left on the PA, and sure enough it blew the speaker. He had the bass cranked on his acoustic electric and it was going through my 5E3 Deluxe and it blew it up. It was a vintage speaker, which sucks, but it will be ok. It wasn't his fault, he just hits the guitar really hard and I think it just blew. He was a good player, but I really wish I hadn't lent him my amp. I will have to think of another option in the future. It really sucks.

Well, that's all for this update.

10. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Glad to see you too Ken! It's been over a year for me too, but at least I can blame the baby ;)

11. 2009LPGT

2009LPGT Senior Member

Cool, congrats Karl!! Boy or girl?

Did I miss the cigars or did you hand out Tube Screamers instead?? :)

northernguitarguy and kboman like this.
  12. kboman

kboman Senior Member

It was probably pretty low key hehe! Just over a year ago now. Intense stuff but wonderful. I'm in the middle of six months of parental leave so need to be very frugal indeed with the materialistic stuff.

2009LPGT and northernguitarguy like this.
  13. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Ok so this is pretty much complete - just waiting for the One Control Basilisk to replace the Gecko in the corner - more midi channels (I need 4 and the Gecko only has two)

Attached Files:

14. Hector Arcadius

New (for me and practically in condition) pedal day, here. A Bad Monkey for 20 €! Score! :h5:

15. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

Awesome. Most underrated OD pedal ever?

16. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I think it is quite well rated. It got a lot of love after Phil X made it popular.

northernguitarguy likes this.
  17. Hector Arcadius

Let me put it this way: if it's a Tubescreamer you're looking for, this one is one of the best I have tried. More gain & more volume than the original one, plus bixandal EQ which makes it 10 times more useful. So, it's really nice. You know... for a Tubescreamer. :D

I only used it with the Strat so far and got that classic bluesy sound. It's so classic that, for me, it ends up being boring, to be honest, but, hey, it's a nice tone. I do prefer my Timmy over it, but is is a nice & useful OD pedal. I will give it a go with the Les Paul and report back.

No doubt, the best 20 € ever spent on a pedal, for me!

northernguitarguy likes this.
  18. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

I checked out a B:assmaster. Killer pedal. I would love to own it but not sure if I could find a use for it on my board.

What I want is a fuzz with a rich creamy mid that has a dumble type sound but is different enough to have a unique sound.

Any ideas?

19. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Basic Audio Fuzz Mutant. If you act really fast you can probably still get 20% off this weekend!

20. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

K is the fuzz expert but have a look at the Pigtronix Polysaturator