Pedal Acquisition Syndrome PAS group

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by switchback, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Eventide H9 Max
    Eventide H9 Core
    Empress Reverb
    Free The Tone Flight Time Delay
    Supro Drive
    Rockett Dude
    Bluguitar Amp 1
    Friedman Dirty Shirley 1x12 cab
    Drybell Vibe Machine mk2
    Classic Audio Roller exp
    Boss CP-1X compressor
    One Control White Loop
    One Control Gecko (midi control)
    MXR tap

Stuff i am keeping (for now - lol)

Cali 76 Compact Deluxe
    Trex Spindoctor
    Pigtronix Polysaturator
    Ibanez Stereo Chorus
    Dawner Prince Boonar
    Adrenalinn
    G-Lab Wowee Wah

2. kboman

kboman Senior Member

I've also started saving up for a Helix... :p

dickjonesify and Hector Arcadius like this.
  3. gibsonguitar1988

gibsonguitar1988 Senior Member

Ughhhhhh lol.

I'm kidding (kinda), I'm happy for ya's. But I just can't go without stomp boxes and there are so many by so many companies, they look cool, sound cool, and I love the inspiration and acquiring them and unboxing them and taking pedalboard shots. :D It's a big part of why I love guitar.

To just have a Fractal, Kemper, Line 6, is cool but to me I like the pedal dance and having a board with all the pretty colors and tones and palettes. It's an addiction I don't plan on curing ever.

It's why I love Nashville so much, it's all pedals and so many cool pedalboards for all the session and live guys there and it's all about dirt pedals and Strymon and M9s and H9s and such. LA and NY have gone to this whole modeling thing and using less pedals while Nashville new country is still using tube amps and pedalboards and I'm heavily inspired by that stuff, pop drivel or not.

To have everything in one box is just not as exciting and you don't keep buying pedals. :( lol

I mean I totally get it, it kills the pedal buying and obsession, and you have everything under one roof. But for me that's exactly why I don't like it. It's too easy. Forgetting digital modelers vs analog, regardless of sound, I just like having big pedalboards. I like pedalboards. I love them.

I'm a tube amp snob, yet I think I'd go for a Kemper and still use pedals before I go without. That said, I still like having vintage Fender tube amps for my clean platform. I just really like them.

I'm not saying I use my pedalboard as a crutch, I CAN play without it, but I don't WANT to. It's not a pleasant experience for me. I just feel like I'm missing something. And I play better with one, not because I'm hiding behind distortion or effects, but because I miss the inspiration and vibe I get by using tons of pedals. Some would say it's a crutch, but it's not. And I'm a classic rock guy and those guys did the guitar > cord > cranked amp thing with very few pedals but I just can't go there. I love that stuff, but I love Nashville new country that has effects throughout.

For me, again right or wrong, it's just not the same without the pedalboard. I realize some might see that as having my priorities fudged up, and maybe they are but I just don't care. I can honestly say I'm not using them to cover anything up, I'm just simply addicted to them and their inspiration and the wide variety of tones, and yes, the fact they are pedals on a board. I digress.

Who knows, this time next year maybe I'll do it but for me PAS is not something I want to go away, I plan on keep buying pedals I like and changing them at a whim. I don't think it hurts my musicality or chops any, and while I'm not an amazing (IMO) player, I feel confident that my pedal addiction isn't keeping me from advancing or playing what I want to play and playing music. I never wanted to be a virtuoso shred technical theory master like Steve Vai. I wanted to be the best Angus Young I could be, keeping it bluesy and just rock n' roll 101 guitar playing. Not just saying that because it's "easier", I could do the shred thing if I wanted to learn it, I honestly just am not into that as much as I am simple classic AOR rock records. I just like old rock n' roll.

4. gibsonguitar1988

At least I have Johan and NGG and the others who can keep me company over here. :p

5. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

I'll be around! I'm looking for a kewl mini distortion pedal. Not sure if I want a RAT copy or something a little more DS-1.

6. northernguitarguy

northernguitarguy SWeAT hOg

You sir, are a whore! ;)

gbroadhurst likes this.
  7. kboman

kboman Senior Member

Much love Austin - as always! Rock on.

My journey started out with modeling gear - a borrowed Yamaha DG amp and then several years and many gigs + rehearsals with a Boss GT-8 - so it's never been any sort of adjustment for me. I had my AC15 for a few years but ultimately it was like playing with a straightjacket on because it couldn't deliver what I needed. Not a fault of the amp itself, it was lovely, but I have other needs because I'm so looping focused. Having the baby also changed a lot of things, especially since I want to start recording a lot more.

Currently I use the Amplifire as a pedal sized amp+cab package with an fx loop and a few built in fx too and that works great, I get my dirt from OD and fuzz pedals as well as various delays. The Helix would be an expansion of this concept with way better built-in fx and far more interesting internal routing possibilities - I don't see myself giving up on pedals in any way, especially given all the amazing fuzz that's out there, but I suspect I won't need quite as many standalone units. I can save up for the strange and unusual instead of the basics... :Ohno:

I'm looking at the rack version btw in another step to simplify my life and minimise my rig size (and keep things away from prying little hands!) - Adrian Belew's rig is a great inspiration: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21784-rig-rundown-adrian-belew

So I'm not leaving this thread :D

northernguitarguy likes this.
  8. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

I've also bought rack gear. A Focusrite 18i20, not a pedal but gear is gear and I look forward to using it and start recording more! :)

9. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

LOL Austin. Did you see the pedals i was keeping? Still makes up a pretty sweet little board.

10. JohanHaellgren

JohanHaellgren Senior Member

Anyways, this is my current board.. Never thought I could fit so many good pedals, but this has everything I would ever use!
    [​IMG]
    The king of tone is absolutely magical, shines at high volumes and it also takes the Archer really well.

11. gibsonguitar1988

True.

I just would miss using them exclusively and hence why I don't make the jump. I like pedals. :p

12. Eric R

Eric R Member

So,.. I just came from the T-rex pedals topic.
    I've been PAS sober for almost a year now but I relapsed just now. I am dying to buy myself a T-Rex Mudhoney of Twister pedal.

kboman likes this.
  13. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

On other pedal-related news, I moved the La Machine at the beginning of the pedal chain, right after the tuner. Apparently, the buffer on the Ricochet (which is always on, when using the Monentary switch) was messing badly with the La Machine and created quite a lot of noise. The move certainly remedied that. What I hadn't notice, was that the La Machine, when placed at the end of the pedal chain, had some bad impact on the rest dirt-boxes! After the move, they all sound their best again, being more "clear" and "defined". The La Machine is still under the testing period, not sure it's a long-time keeper or something I will quickly grow over. So far, it's a fun fuzz-box, which is wilder than the Scarab, which I sometimes need.

14. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

Never say never. That way you never end up doing the things you said you would never do.

15. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

I have always found that with any of the Whammy product buffers. They are very good and transparent but often dont play nice with other dirt. Sometimes having another pedal in between fixed the issue.

16. Hector Arcadius

The rest of the dirt pedals (Timmy, Scarab, Sovereign, Animal) seem to not be bothered by the buffer of the Ricochet. Which is strange, because I do recall especially the Sovereign and the Scarab to really hate other buffers I have placed in the past in front of them... Anyways, everything seems to be in order now. I guess if you don't actually try something, you never really know...

kboman likes this.
  17. gibsonguitar1988

I think I will eventually get on the octave train. I think either a POG of some sort or a Pitch Fork or BOSS octave, maybe the Ricochet, something. I don't want a ramping feature like a Whammy pedal, but rather a preset amount of octave lowering or raising. There are some featured in modern country and I like being able to get closer to those tones. A fair bit of the songs in the set feature one and I don't use one and my other guitar player doesn't either. Songs like Young And Crazy (Frankie Ballard), Somewhere On A Beach (Dierks Bentley), Cruise (Florida Georgia Line).

18. Hector Arcadius

Even if you're not looking for ramping, definitely check the Ricochet out. You leave the switch on the on-off operation, the rise/fall times at minimum and then you can choose from multiple up or down intervals. Note that you can blend in the dry signal only with an octave up or down, not in the in-between intervals, though.

Another 2 octave pedals that I would also suggest are the EQD Organizer (which can be used in a more conventional way as well, but shines at... organ sounds, of course) and the TCE Sub'N'Up.

It's a fun world, the pitch-shifting one which can offer a multitude of sounds. Have fun on this journey, Austin!

gibsonguitar1988 likes this.
  19. Brocko

Brocko Senior Member

Just get yourself an H9 Austin.

I should still have the Core for sale eventually, if Karl gets a Helix

gibsonguitar1988 and kboman like this.
  20. st.bede

st.bede V.I.P. Member

Eventide's pitch shifting sound the best (least artifacts) to me. However, sometimes funky artifacts or the grim that other pitch stuff has is perfect for a certain setting.