Peavey Vypyr 75W thoughts?

Discussion in 'Amp Modeling' started by epi les-paul, Oct 6, 2011.

1. epi les-paul

epi les-paul Junior Member

Hey, I was thinking of buying a solid state amp for the reasons of that it has WAY less issues on handling and is a lot less fragile. Though anyway, I believe that the vypyr would be great for me because I not only practice in my room, though I like recording occasionally, and I gig a bit (the volume goes up to 13 and is great.) So, your impressions?

2. Raider08

Raider08 Senior Member

I personally don't like they Vyper series. My brother in law has one, and it's too much crammed into one box for me.

3. r2d2

r2d2 Senior Member

Have you seen Mustang Fenders? I've read a lot of reviews and Mustangs are very nice amps.

Greetings

4. SvdH

SvdH Senior Member

I've got no firsthand experience with the Vyper amps but i've read that they do the high gain thing very nicely but are not really up to par on the cleans.

Fender mustangs on the other hand are the other way around. Great (and then i mean GREAT) cleans and o.k. on the higher gain sounds. I've got the mustang myself because i loved the cleans, especially for that price!

5. SpankMaster

SpankMaster Member

Nvr plyd the Vypyr. Hwvr Id lve 2 try 1.

6. Raider08

Raider08 Senior Member

I thought that the Vyper did everything that a solid state modeling amp should do. (I fear that I came off as a little harsh.) It's not that they're any worse than any other modeler, I just thought it was way difficult to use. Of course, I'm a fan of amp's with the classic [ Volume, ToneStack, Reverb ] set up. I would recommend sitting down with one before you buy it.

7. >Photi G<

>Photi G< Senior Member

The learning curve is steep, as they do try to cram a lot of functionality behind only 8 knobs. However, they sound fantastic. I almost bought one, but saved up my money for a real amp instead. The Mustang III may be comparable, but you need to hook up a computer to access the features of the Mustang. The Vypyr does everything out of the box. You may want to get the footswitch though.

8. epi les-paul

epi les-paul Junior Member

What u mean a real amp?

9. r2d2

r2d2 Senior Member

As "real amp" he may refer to a tube amp.
    You mentioned looking for a modeler, recording capabilities and gig.... I still think a very good option is a Mustang III. It has an usb interface to record directly to PC, includes software.
    But it's true, your choice will depend on the kind of music you play.

Greetings