Peavey 6505 MH. Should I keep it? And how are the stock speakers?

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by 2manyGuitars, Oct 12, 2018.

1. 2manyGuitars

2manyGuitars Senior Member

I popped into the local shop for something totally unrelated and as often happens, they had a killer (and I mean KILLER) deal on something I really didn’t intend on buying. It was a used Peavey 6505 MH head and matching 112 cabinet. It had only been on the floor a few hours and the sharks (staff) were already circling. The main reason I was interested was because I’ve been looking for a 1x12 cab for a 65Amps head I recently acquired. The sign said the cab had a Celestion Greenback which is the speaker I’ve been looking for. The price they were asking would have been a smoking deal for just the head. The cab was a bonus. I figured I could always just keep the cab and flip the head if I didn’t like it.

After trying it out for a bit, I bought it and once I got home, I opened up the cab and it turns out it wasn’t the $299 one with the greenback but the $129 one with the no-name (Blue Marvel?) speaker. The store has a 30 day return policy and I called right away to give them a heads-up that I might be bringing it back.

My dilemma...
    If I return it, I’m still on the hunt for a cab. If I keep it, I can always just find a speaker and use this box. Mind you, this one is probably particle board. And who knows? Maybe this speaker will sound okay with the other head. Taking the cab out of the equation, how is the 6505 MH? Anyone have any firsthand experience?

2. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell

I own one and it's big brother as well.
    Fantastic little amp, very close to the big 120 Watt model sound wise. Surprisingly versatile as well, the first channel can sound nice with some low gain pickups and a touch of reverb. Good crunch sounds are possible as well. Or crank the gain, hit the crunch and bright switches and hit it with high output pickups for a fat metal rhythm sound. And then there is the lead channel with more gain than you'll ever need...

Quite loud in the 20W mode, 5W is better suited to home playing. 1W mode sounds s little flat to me and has no headroom.

USB, effect loop and DI out with speaker defeat are nice for recording.
    Very complete amp IMHO.
    But it sounds like a 6505, and not much else. If you don't like the base sound of a 5150/6505, you won't make a Fender or Marshall out of it. But it's quite versatile, it can do much more than just metal

2manyGuitars and Who like this.

3. C_Becker

C_Becker Dat Gibson smell

Forgot to say, another great thing is that it has the same controls as the big ones, i.e. presence AND resonance, which I found very, very useful. I also use the same EQ settings on both the mini head and the big one, shows how close they are.

I run mine through a Marshall MX212 (vertical 212) with a V30 and a G12T75 at home. I did try it out for rehearsal, and 3/4 on the master volume was loud enough to match our drummer. It doesn't quite have the oomph of the big iron, but what small head does ?

Buy it, flip the cab if it sucks - the amp is great.

2manyGuitars and Who like this.

4. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

Put the head on Craigslist for what you paid for the whole deal.

You have 28 days to sell it. If it sells.... you have a free cab. If not, you've had the 30 days to make up your mind.

2manyGuitars likes this.

5. 2manyGuitars

And just for a frame of reference (and since I won’t be selling it here), I got the head and cab for $240 plus tax.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Who likes this.

6. Who

Who I'm back. Back in the New York groove.

That IS a deal!

2manyGuitars likes this.

7. 2manyGuitars

What?! You thought I was lying? ;)

So I tried out the cabinet with my 65Amps London Pro and it’s the same issue I was having with the other one. Lots of mids and no bottom end. I also tried both heads (6505 and 65Amps) through the Peavey cab and also a Blackheart 1x12 loaded with an Emminance something-or-other. The difference was night and day. The Peavey cab sucks.

I also fooled around with the head quite a bit and while the rhythm channel was really cool with a lot of versatility, the lead channel is way too dirty to be of any use to me. I decided to return it an had it packed up, ready to go when I thought “why not throw it up on kijiji (Canadian craigslist) for the weekend and see if I get any bites”. I have it up for $400 and I’ll see if I get any offers.

C_Becker and Who like this.

8. efstop

efstop Senior Member

$240 is a good price for the head, for sure. The cab is no bargain at any price if it sucks :D I bought a new Classic 20 MH from Cosmo Music for $400 in January (list $600) and it sounds great through the headphones or the H&K 112 w/V30. But, I may sell it anyway. I have too many amps. I figure I can easily get $400 for it, I'll eat the taxes I paid.

2manyGuitars likes this.

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Senior Member

If the cab has good construction, why not try swapping out speakers before getting rid of it?. You might get the sound you like with different speakers.
    Al

2manyGuitars likes this.

10. 2manyGuitars

I sold the head today for 15 bucks more than I paid for the whole package. So basically, I got paid $15 to take a free 112 cab home from the music store.

Although it’s not the greatest, I might try throwing a different speaker in it. At the end of the day, I’m sure I could probably get 60 bucks for it if I decide to flip it.

Who likes this.