Pearl Les Pau copyl: Made in Japan - rare ??

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Zenzeypher, Jan 17, 2013.

1. zolko

zolko Junior Member

More input to the specs of this Pearl Les Paul model (lets call it "Pearl Custom Lite" cause it lacks a bottom binding and headstock "tulip"):
    Neck is 60's slim taper.
    Mine has serial number 2001209 (if anyone know what it means please share), Fingerboard inlays are made of the real Mother of Pearl, but it could be done later on.

2. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

Not sure what in your pics make you think it would be one piece body. Maybe you could point it out. Most of the nicer les paul copies from this era copied what Gibson was doing in the 1970's...3 piece top caps and maple necks. How many pieces of wood make up the back is tough to say cause a lot of times a thin slice of decorative wood will span the entire back side making it look like one piece.

Best thing to do is to hold the bottom of the guitar up to a regular lamp and move the guitar around at different angles. No matter how well its painted, once you hit the right angle you will see hidden seams.

3. SiriusAbbott

SiriusAbbott Senior Member

[​IMG]
    a bit closer view.......
    note the visible join of two pieces......
    also,silver plastic(not pearloid)block inlays
    7 ply top binding
    5 ply back binding
    single ply fretboard binding
    5 ply headstock binding
    its original color was called dark cherry,but in actuality was a maroon
    this one now has stainless frets too :dude:

4. zolko

zolko Junior Member

Back to the topic guitar.
    Indeed - closer inspection under a lamp show two hidden "seams" on the back.
    Confirmed :)
    No matter what eqiupment I use I can't detect similar seams on the top.
    The body is 41mm thick at the switch and 45mm at the bottom strap button.
    Sounds noble, somewhat midrange'y but in very musical way. I have changed SD Pearly Gates which was IMO too bright for her voice with TB-6 (bass strings are off the poles now) but SH-4 is waiting.
    Merry Xmass especially to anonymous japanese luthiers!

5. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

I forgot to ask this, but have you knocked your fist just below the stop-tailpiece?

If you get a hollow sound when you do this, then it is not a true solid cap. It is a bent-ply top.

If no hollow sound then it's a solid top cap.

Doing the knock test is a simpler alternative to removing the pickups and peering inside

6. zolko

zolko Junior Member

I am glad you asked! I love to knock and everytime I play this guitar I knock. It is definitely solid. Very solid and resonant.
    But how can I be sure it has a cap (top)? That Pearl Custom from the other Pearl thread and SiriusAbbott axe have visible seams on the top. Does it mean those 3 pcs of wood are forming the whole body?
    Removing the pickups tells nothing cause cavities are painted. Some peeling before peering would probably help to find out, but I don't know yet if I am so curious.

7. warmachine

warmachine Senior Member

This is my set-neck Fujigen made les paul....basically an unbranded Ibanez from 1974.
    [​IMG]

What's hiding beneath the pickup rings is the bent ply top (thin thin stuff)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is my Aria Pro II PE-125
    [​IMG]

Here's what's hiding under the neck pickup ring. Solid like a legit Gibson, 2 piece center seam top in this case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. zolko

zolko Junior Member

truckermde likes this.