Pawn Stars 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Fishman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

I know that. In the TV show, the nephew was asking $130,000 or something, and in the end they settled on $90,000. But the article has a small section on tips when selling your antiques and say ,"Don't undersell yourself. Recently the store bought a Les Paul Guitar for $90,000.00 but the seller originally asked only $30,000.00. " I'll put a pic up...

2. HRC

HRC Senior Member

Apparently "we all" don't. :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  3. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

The second pic is the article, and the first one is what I was talking about.

Attached Files:

4. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

I would be ashamed to admit it

5. LAVisitor

LAVisitor Junior Member

I dont know hasbeenracer and its been years since I've touched any form of instrument, but I can say that everything that he said is accurate. I played in one of Greg's first bands, and remember he and Carol telling me the history of the guitar. I used to mindlessly strum it. Had I known it was worth so much. Here is a picture of Greg on stage playing it. Excuse the 80's fashion atrocities.

Attached Files:

6. Happy Trees

Happy Trees Senior Member

epic thread

7. kharrison

kharrison Senior Member

Epic example of people with too much time on their hands. Gibson SG's are IMHO, and I say it fondly, an enigma. Saying that an example is a 61, or 63 is just crazy. These guitars were poorly designed, were changed and repaired many times and their necks are all over the place. Countless things over the years could have been done to change the guitar to make it look like a newer model. The heel joint, neck shape, and serial numbers were all over the place as were peoples memories going back fifty years. With Gibson, there is no right or wrong and you guys should know this. This guitar was Mary Ford's and all the info from the family members make sense. Is it a '61, '62, or '63? Who cares, it's not a burst. Authenticating SG's are like searching for Unicorns, you are just chasing your tail.:cool:

8. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Well, you know what they say... opinions are like...... and you're certainly entitled to yours.

3 people like this.
  9. kharrison

kharrison Senior Member

It just seemed that a cool thread about a guitar with history turned into folks trying to prove a point. MY point is that authenticating Gibsons especially SG's can be tough. There were a lot of changes made and some gradual so to say something is definitely a specific year is just really hard. With this guitar the shipping ledger was found so its a closed case but a lot of times we don't have that info. SG's are just tough in the vintage market.

10. Kevin James

Its not that hard when you have the serial number and the shipping ledger page.

1 person likes this.
  11. kharrison

kharrison Senior Member

You describe the characteristics of a '63 neck. I have a '61 Melody Maker that has the same dimensions and feel as my '63 LP/SG. I have a late '62 ES 330 that has the described characteristics of a slim taper '61 neck. My point is that no one can say that with certain features that a vintage Gibson is an EXACT year, especially SG's. With this one you called Gibson and got verification with the serial number, you proved your point, great, but without this info I don't see how you could tell this guy who has no clue about vintage that his guitar was definately a '63. It's really no big deal, but in all the years that I have had with old guitars, especially Gibson, I've learned not to fall into that trap.:)

12. Kevin James

Whatever you say brother.

1 person likes this.
  13. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

I think failing to do the most basic due diligence on a 6 digit serial number equals no clue in this case.

14. Otto

Otto Senior Member

15. Tidewater

Tidewater Senior Member

I don't know of anyone who ever built a fake SG.

16. JCarno

JCarno Senior Member

I'm no Columbo, but looking at that quote from the description, I'd say yes. :)

2 people like this.
  17. Kevin James

For the love of God, not this thread again :io:

4 people like this.