Pawn Stars 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Fishman, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

$20K less auction fees

2. beakos

beakos Member

Anyone know how much the auction fees are?

3. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

Near as I can tell about $2K give or take

4. Highway Starr

Highway Starr Junior Member

a 20K turnaround hardly seems worth all the effort and fanfare .....I'd say this deal was a bust in their minds ............

5. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

I have a hunch that pawn stars never really bought the guitar for $90k, that was just a set up for the show. It was probably owned by Cowtown and they worked out a deal or something where they each get a percentage. Since the reserve was met I'd imagine they got what they were looking for, and the BIN was just "pie in the sky".

But again, just a hunch....

fletch

6 people like this.
  6. HRC

HRC Senior Member

A very good hunch at that...

7. Kevin James

Kevin James V.I.P. Member

Hey guys.... some new information has just surfaced (which I have been waiting for, for a few days) and I think it proves beyond any doubt that the guitar did belong to Mary Ford.

A few days ago I privately contacted Tom Wittrock and asked him if he was still in contact with Robb Lawrence and if he could get in touch with him. Tom was kind enough to help get me in touch with Robb and also ended up contacting Robb himself. The question was posed how the guitar was brought to his attention for inclusion in his book "The Les Paul Legacy" and how it was proved to be Mary's guitar. It was obviouse there must have been something that proved it enough for him to put his neck on the line and show the guitar in his book listed as Mary's.

Two days ago I did get a response from Robb noting that he had also been contacted by Tom and had just sent him the entire story. Tom posted over at LPF that he spoke with Robb and that Robb did confirm this is the same guitar and also confirmed Greg as Mary's nephew.

Early this morning Robb posted the entire story at LPF and if this doesn't prove it was Mary's than I don't think anything will satisfy you guys LOL

Robb stated he met Greg Corona and his cousin Colleen backstage at one of Les's shows at the House of Blues. Colleen is Les and Mary's daughter. If they were not who they said they were it would have been very easy to prove right then and there as this was in Les's backstage area. This is when the guitar was brought to Robb's attention by both Greg and Colleen (again, Les and Mary's daughter) and told this was Mary's guitar. He noted there was other evidence presented as well but did not disclose what that evidence was. I think this info in itself though proves the connection between Greg and Mary and that it is Mary's guitar.

Another interesting tidbit Robb noted was that Les had told him the SG/LP's that were used on the album covers were borrowed from local music shops, they were not their personal guitars so this is not the guitar on the albums.

5 people like this.
  8. davebz

davebz Senior Member

I've been following this thread the whole time since it started.
    It's been really interesting,to say the least.
    Today I had some time to mess around with photoshop.
    so I thought I'd try to bring out the serial # from the photo on here
    I was surprised I was able to see the 6&7 pretty good.
    Here's the pics if anyone cares anymore.LOL
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a more zoomed in view below

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

So cool Kevin! Thanks!

10. TheX

TheX Voice of Reason

Losing sucks, doesn't it?

11. Breakfastime

Breakfastime Member

Nobody's losing here if the story is legit. I think it's legit now for sure too.

If Les and Mary could "borrow from local music shops" (which makes perfect sense, duh... to me now) and Mary was taking the kids to California at pretty much that moment in time, she could've probably walked into any guitar shop between Jersey and Los Angeles and grabbed a guitar. Not to mention the stack of unopened boxes at home.

So that explains why it could be such a 'fresh' guitar, she was pretty much on her way out the door with the kids. That's a good story, I like it. Historically speaking, it makes perfect sense considering the events of the timeline. The sensitive nature of this story pretty much explains why the guys on the show might want to smudge the timeline and story a bit ( '61/'63 and "this guitar has been on album covers").

Pics of Mary playing this guitar don't exist because--there may not be any pics of Mary playing any guitar after her time w/Les. I don't think she's even pictured on the covers of any records w/Millie Pace Trio from what I can tell. Have not found a copy of her solo single or any publicity photos of her as Mary Ford solo artist. It's likely that none exist.

12. LPSGME

LPSGME Senior Member

Even though all the questions have been cleared up - I still can't believe there're no photos of the guitar in the 30 years prior to 1993.

- Being that the guitar had part of a set list purportedly used by Mary, doesn't that suggest she used the guitar playing out somewhere - albeit apparently where no one takes photos.

- Moreover, why isn't there a photo of Greg with that guitar - being his aunt gave it to him as a gift?

And while Mary's daughter did say it was her mom's guitar - I wonder if she would have been able to discern one early SG from another (in 1993) that may have belonged to her mom.

BTW, if that set list was Mary's. Why and how did it ever survive all the use and modifications by Greg. After all it's apparent that he wasn't all that concerned about preserving it in any historical sense.

Then there is the disparity, regarding the pickups, between what Robb's and hasbeenracer's said. According to hasbeenracer, Greg put the 2 other original PAF pickups into his Tele and Strat during the early-mid '80s - whereas Robb has Greg saying (in 1993) that he doesn't know where the pickups are.

Robb said that when he took the photo he "had to put a couple of pickups and covers in it for the photos since some were missing". "Greg said they disappeared along with their small white Gretsch unfortunately."

Why would Greg not know (in 1993) that he put the PAF's into his Strat and Tele in the early 1980s - but then know where they were in 2009?

1 person likes this.
  13. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

So much mystery, still.....

14. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Bottom line is that (apparently) someone just paid 7 to 10 times what this guitar is worth. It's a non original '63 SG with changed parts and repairs. And a story - is it a $100K worth of story? Hmmmmmmm...

Certainly Les Paul had nothing to do with this guitar. Mary apparently owned and played it - well after her golden era. Not an object of great musical or historical importance, just an old SG with repairs.

3 people like this.
  15. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

It will be interesting to know who has bought it, if any one actually has gone through with the sale.

1 person likes this.
  16. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

I was just looking through the new issue of TIME, and it had an article about Rick Harrison. Turns out the show is all staged (WHAT!?), and when Les Pauls nephew came to sell the guitar originally, he was only asking $30,000.

17. KRaZeE

KRaZeE Senior Member

I sincerely hope that is a big heaping cup of good ol' sarcasm. :fingersx:

18. android13

android13 Senior Member

I'd guess he just ran out of purple ink :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  19. ElectricMagick

ElectricMagick Senior Member

Nope! I sh!t you not. Its in TIME.

20. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member