Paul Kossoff

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by billy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus Senior Member

Time for another Koss picture.

This is a favourite of mine and is from '72 while the original band had reformed, possibly around the time Koss recorded Tuesday Morning for his solo album. Its got the essentials, the axe, the angst, and a quite a formidable looking left hand.

Attached Files:

weirdotis likes this.
  2. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

Never seen that shot before-- good stuff. Are there any videos from when Free reformed and they still had Koss with them?

3. Angus

Angus Senior Member

I don't think so, in fact the sad fact is, as far as I know, the latest bit of Koss on film is the video for My Brother Jake - which was right before the break-up (the first). There's supposed to be footage of their gig at Randwick Race course Australia which was the last gig, or close to it - before the break-up, but its existence isn't confirmed.

Sad to think, between '71 and '76 there's no footage of him performing.
    There's footage of Kiss in '76 and BSC supported them, with Koss apparently playing well, and it would be nice to think that the camera team shot some footage at least of the support band, but its optimistic.

4. Monstronaut

Monstronaut Senior Member

My old man was at the filming of the 'My Brother Jake' video. It was done at the ITV news at 10 studios. They just flipped the cameras round and filmed the band playing where the crew normally stood during the news! My Dad didn't know them, just met a couple the guys in a pub before hand. A love of the blues was enough for the band to let him and his mate tag along!

5. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

Wow! See...I love Koss. No question that what he did for those few short years had a significant impact on music...and he does not get his due. BUT...that said, Paul Rodgers is THE voice of rock in my opinion. There has not been, nor ever will be, another singer with that power, tone....Everything that Koss had on the guitar Paul has in spades in his voice. He ain't a bad guitar player himself either. I had the opportunity to see him with Page back when they toured together and Paul kept up with Pagey admirably.

What a great opportunity to hang out with a master.

weirdotis likes this.
  6. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

I happen to work with someone who was at that gig,as well as Zeppelin's/Sabbath's and a whole heap of others that most of us dream about.
    I'll ask him if he knows anything about it being filmed when I see him…

7. weirdotis

weirdotis Senior Member

I did not know that. That's too bad. I wish there were some video of Back Street Crawler as well... that band just flat out ROCKED.

8. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

Well I've spoken to my workmate about the gig and he has no recollection of the Randwick Concert being filmed or of any cameras/film crews being there.
    It must've been a freakn great gig;he said apart from Free,there was also Mannfred Mann's Earth Band,a great Oz band called Piranha AND Deep Purple on
    the same bill!!!
    Going to sit down later on and suck his brains on this The Faces(one of my faves)and the Led Zepp gig and others…

9. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

all the signature models Gibson have now done and not one for Kossoff! it is a disgrace!

Lowdown and weirdotis like this.
  10. Angus

Angus Senior Member

Nice story - would your Dad remember any more details? There was a rumour that they recorded (and have since broadcast) two different versions of the song - but only one version could be found for the dvd. Maybe they recorded some other songs?

11. Angus

Angus Senior Member

Thanks for the info - the thing is there are some good stills of the performance, and at least one appears to show professional quality cine cameras being used.

12. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

Can you post these pics? Maybe someone here may be able to identify if they are in fact film cameras…

13. SJB353

SJB353 Member

To jessenoah,
    That picture with Jimmy P. was taken at Geenlake Aqua Theatre, Seattle and I was sitting at the EXACT place where that picture was taken.
    He stood off to the side during three dog night holding his tele, danelectro, and his LP strapped on. No one bugged him. This was '69 or so, and most people were not aware of who he was. It was hot and I remember thinking how cool he looked just hangin' by the stage.
    My memory tells me they started w/train k.Rollin, and rice pudding in there somewhere. I got close as possible when they played a blues, it must have been can't quit you, and he blazed from open A up by the nut to a bend to high E on the E string and blazed his way back down.
    I understand many will laugh at me but I don't care, that 2 minutes or so changed my life forever. He was in my eyes Godlike, I was maybe 15? Or so and had never, ever, seen anyone do that live. I was close enough by then to toss a fistful of paper towel and hit him. I knew, from that moment on, nothing else in my life mattered except to learn and understand what I had just seen.
    We couldn't believe J.Bonham had only one bass drum. J. Page started off with the tele first then quickly went to the LP.
    He was James Dean cool of the music world to me. Got to briefly interact with him later, but that is an even longer story and I know I talk too much. I just got so transfixed to see my personal holy grail of L.Zep. performances in a picture. That changed my life.
    Thanks for the link, I gotta go back and look at it some more!!
    Steve B.

14. Monstronaut

Monstronaut Senior Member

Yes, they did it a few times as Paul Rogers was unhappy with his performance. He was singing live but the band were miming. Andy Fraser apparently was a bit stroppy about having to do multiple takes.

15. Marlboro13

Marlboro13 Senior Member

16. Angus

Angus Senior Member

No scanner access - but if you go to Google images and type in:

1971 randwick racecourse kossoff

Its the 3rd picture I can see, a black and white shot from behind the band, looking out into the audience, with the film camera being just under Paul Rodgers right hand - I'm only able to access the low res image here, but I think that's it.

17. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

I tried to find out what I could about the Randwick filming from some old timers that I know - even older than me! Nobody had seen any actual footage from the show, the opinion I got was that they were probably camera men from a local TV news crew, with a little footage from the gig being shown on the next nights news.

I can remember from when I was a kid that you'd occassionally see a quick clip from a concert on the news. Don't know if they did that in other countries, don't know if any film would have been kept, or who would have it...maybe the local TV station archives? It's hard to imagine anyone else over here having the resourses to pro shoot a concert back then other than the local TV stations.

The other opinion that I got was that the cameras may have been recording the gig for a TV show called GTK that ran on ABC 2 TV in the early to mid 70's. GTK ran for 10 minutes at dinner time four nights a week, showed live performances from mostly local artists, though I remember seeing some Zeppelin segments that were filmed live at Kooyong in Melbourne (1971...? My big brother went to that gig btw).

18. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

The ABC ( Australian Broadcasting Commission) do actually have a film archive of music and live clips that goes back decades - so IF it was filmed by them there's a chance that it still exists - because the Zep/Kooyong material still exists, and there's also 1972 footage of The Rolling Stones at Kooyong too - about 4 or 5 songs of each I believe. So you never know...

(Kooyong was the old Tennis stadium where they played the Australian Open. I believe that Pink Floyd played there too in 1972.)

19. Lowdown

Lowdown Senior Member

Exactly what I thought re. GTK if there were cameras there.

We have an allnight w/end music show here called "Rage" that every now and then airs songs from the Zepp showground gig and also Stay With Me from the Faces gig.
    Unfortunately our music archival tv footage tends not to be as well kept and respected and is usually discarded or even taped over! National comedy acts and inane soapie dramas seem to be of more significant national importance :rolleyes:

I'll do some more digging…

20. flashriffs

flashriffs Senior Member

Not sure if these have been seen on this thread, outtakes from The Beat club in Germany, Koss is playing the Stripped Burst in one and the Darkburst in the other, if these surfaced after all this time, there may be hope yet for the Randwick gig, dont hold your breath though, the BSC gig in my home town was filmed, I know for a stone cold fact, the guy who filmed it was standing next to me, dont know who he was and never seen him ever again !!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOr1stg9lds&feature=player_embedded]Free - Be My Friend - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q5ea_ggGtc&nofeather=True]Free - Free Me (Beat Club Outtakes, 1970) - YouTube[/ame]