Paul Kossoff

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by billy, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Angus

Angus Senior Member

Issue 102 of The (wonderful) Free Appreciation Society magazine is dedicated to Koss' guitars and apparently that one is with somebody calling himself "Fenton Groover".

2. Ride on a Pony

Ride on a Pony Senior Member

Cool, any chance of some scans? :fingersx:

3. Angus

Angus Senior Member

The FAS magazine is great, and David pushed out the boat on this issue in order to include a fair few colour images which are more expensive for him to get done. Having said that its not glossy magazine quality, its a limited distribution fan magazine run on love of the music (it seems to me). But I think the majority of the pictures of the guitars are fairly well known ones seen on the dvd etc.

Honestly though I recommend any serious Free fan becoming an FAS member - its a great on-going supplement to the book, "Heavy Load".

4. flashriffs

flashriffs Senior Member

The late great paul by David Kossoff

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lL5DfQVSzcI&feature=related]YouTube - Late Great Paul (Kossoff) - Part One of Five[/ame] 1

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnPDhvEk-FI&feature=related]YouTube - Late Great Paul (Kossoff) - Part Two of Five[/ame] 2

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5URKoARLHk&feature=related]YouTube - Late Great Paul (Kossoff) - Part Three of Five[/ame] 3

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYy_zyHeCMo&feature=related]YouTube - Late Great Paul (Kossoff) - Part Four of Five[/ame] 4

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVLDtx_DnJw&feature=related]YouTube - Late Great Paul (Kossoff) - Part Five of Five[/ame] 5
    PAUL KOSSOFF | ONE OF ENGLAND'S FINEST BLUES GUITARISTS

5. Gemm

Gemm Senior Member

I had an opportunity to visit Paul Rodgers' house years ago, and he let me play the Les Paul that once belonged to Kossoff. It looked, felt and sounded great (I had to try his vibrato on it!). He also had another beautiful mint burst (58 or 59, he told me, I think) which he said the case was even in mint condition when he bought it.

6. Jessenoah

Jessenoah Senior Member

how I love that squeaky lead tone that starts about 1:45!:D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXE_NbRu6Ag[/ame]

weirdotis likes this.
  7. circusboy28

circusboy28 Senior Member

Wonderful thread. I just thought to mention Andy Fraser, again very under rated. His style certainly complimented Paul Kossoff. The four members of Free were different but in my opinion equal to the four members of Zep.

8. EasyAce

EasyAce Senior Member

You could actually make the case that, for crunchy blues-oriented riff rock in a guitar-bass-drums-singer lineup, Free beat Led Zeppelin to the punch by a few months and perhaps almost a full year with Tons of Sobs. (I remember seeing jackets on the American version misprinted as Tobs of Sobs.)

This is allmusic.com's review of that album:

Here's my personal favourite performance by Free with Paul Kossoff . . .

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YylGLV_nANU]Free, "Moonshine"[/ame]

9. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

10. JoBeans

JoBeans Senior Member

11. HOT-BRIT

HOT-BRIT V.I.P. Member

12. tonebone

tonebone Senior Member

OK, I'm hooked.

Just watched the Fire and Water youtube, . . . about 20 times. I'm lovin that "stripped" burst. Incredible. Inlays look like flattened diamonds, fretboard as black as the finest Afgani temple sh!t, and a shimmering goldish top - played and battered to hell and back.

And the way Kossoff is playing it . . . un-freaking-believable.

Paul was a pretty good guy, wasn't he?

:( I'm missin' him. We need more guys like him.

13. DrewG

DrewG Senior Member

Joe Bonamassa play's one of Kossofs guitars in Newcastle, at a gig recently...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCvqBkyct4]YouTube - joe bonamassa plays mr big on paul kossoff,s guitar at newca[/ame]

14. guitarbob123

guitarbob123 Senior Member

I wish I had gone to that gig now!

I saw Joe and met him after the show he did in May in Birmingham and I was going to get tickets for Newcastle as I have relatives up there but I decided not to! It would have been great to see the Kossoff burst being played again, especially by someone who can appreciate his talents so much and really pay tribute to him.

15. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

Ha looking back through this post and when I hi-jacked it with Gary Moore stuff.........anyway........

Ive got a gig on 19th march.....Debating if we should play a free song..???......My band doesnt do covers now but....One of my 2 only guitar idols Paul Kossoff, being its 35 years since he passed I cant really not play some FREE, especially because we are playing with a local old skool rock band who have reformed recently so should be a good crowd.

Im having the same debate about playing Parisian Walkways at our next gig on the 4th march as a tribute..Depends if my brother can come along and sing/play bass for us on that song.

I cant gig on the 19th and not play a FREE song, Id never forgive myself...

My band when we had my bother on bass with us and a diff drummer we used to play fire and water and Mr Big..........but I think Id like to do The Hunter and kick out that vibrato....

Fire and water or the hunter as a tribute to koss on the 19th march???

16. Barber

Barber Senior Member

Whilst I love both songs!

Fire and water is more of a tribute to Koss, because with the Hunter - Free were already paying tribute to Albert I guess...

theres plenty of room for insane vibrato's on that too, haha

Koss was my sole guitar hero when I was a bit younger and the Free Live version of Fire and Water blew my mind, I think I must have listened to it on repeat for months - quite literally !

17. moodyedge

moodyedge Senior Member

True..I guess free made the hunter their own though.

18. Longgone

Longgone Member

I liked Kosoffs economic use of notes, he could say so much with so little. A lesson to be learned. Great player!

19. ceeya68

ceeya68 Member

20. Marshallow

Marshallow Senior Member

If you can't enough of Koss, "Heavy Load" is a must-read. Fantastic book.

[​IMG]
    Amazing pre-Free burst. Now THAT's flame:
    [​IMG]
    Rare take with a wha:
    [​IMG]

planks likes this.