passport renewal question

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by sk8rat, Sep 24, 2017.

1. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

anyone know if you do the two week expedited passport if you get it exactly in two weeks?

I planned a trip to europe for mid october but my passport is expired.

there is a passport office but you need proof of flight/hotel reservations to get an appointment. I dont want to make reservations until I know I can make them.

just my luck, I missed my one opportunity to an appointment without having to show reservations :rolleyes:.

2. LPMarshall Hack

LPMarshall Hack Senior Member

Be prepared to pay...bigly.

Who likes this.
  3. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

I did mine and only paid $50
    for the express pickup in 1 week. Then again it's a different country and prob not relevant to your situation.

4. PRCJ

PRCJ Senior Member

If your duck are in a row it could happen in two weeks. Remember that it's probably two weeks of business days.

5. SteveC

SteveC Village Elder V.I.P. Member

The mail in/Fed-X process, with expedited renewal, works perfectly. I can't say if it was exactly 2 weeks, but I think mine came back in less than that.

Make sure that you FED-X it to them and pay for them to FED-X it back to you.

Yep - it costs a bit more. But, if you need your passport quickly, there are no other options.

Well, I guess that you could go buy a REFUNDABLE ticket to an international destination, make an appointment, then cancel the ticket when you get your passport.

6. Donal

Donal ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Premium Member

Maybe you can get a letter from your company stating you need to go on business travel? :naughty:

7. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

Most county courts are authorized to handle passport applications- just find one in a rural area. Usually no waiting at all, much less any need for an appointment

8. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Reserve your flight (i.e. book, but but don't pay for it) on one of the airline websites. Print out your itinerary (i.e. your proof of travel). Request an appointment at your closest office (see link below) and take it and all the other necessary to the passport office. I think you can get it back in a day or two.

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/passports/services/expedited.html#expedite

Back in the '90s, I lived in NYC and had to get one next day. Four hours standing in line to drop it off. Four hours standing in line the next day to pick it up. I swore I'd never leave it to the last minute again. When that one expired, I had overseas business pop up and had to get one over night, again. This time I was in a suburban passport office and it was easy. My passport recently expired and I am sure that I will have to do this hustle all over again.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  9. Chicago John

Chicago John Senior Member

I think you can get it expedited through the post office. If so, use them, not the service company.

10. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

I have done expedited at my local passport agency and using a service. For the agency, I had an inside contact who expedites these sort of things for one of the local pro sports teams. Even with his help, I wound up spending almost the entire day in lines and waiting. Many of the others who arrived the same time I did were told to come back the next day.

I have now used the same passport service for my passport renewal and visas to China and Brazil. The China visa was most worrisome because the visa required more than two open pages on my passport and it had exactly two. So in order to get my visa, I needed to first get a new passport then submit that for my visa. Oh yeah, my trip was in 9 days. I went in person to the local office for the passport service I use to make sure they had every little thing they needed. They took care of the rest and I had my new passport with Chinese visa delivered to my door in about 6 days. It was costly, but I could not miss this trip.

If you have time to stand around a day or two, a passport agency is the most economical. If you don't have time or hate standing in line, find a good passport service but be prepared to pay for the convenience.

11. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

Brazil deliberately makes getting visas difficult for Americans. I have to go into NYC to their consulate, drop my passport and visa application and come back the next day. Last time I did it, the drop off window was only open until noon. I got there at 12:05. Nope, sorry come back tomorrow...

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  12. NotScott

NotScott Premium Member

That's why I choose to pay more for an agency, especially since I typically travel on short notice.

13. sk8rat

sk8rat Senior Member

thanks for all the replies.

unfortunately because my passport is so old I am not eligible to renew it through the mail. I have to do it in person. the bitch of it is the passport office is closed on weekends and only open 8am-3pm weekdays and I dont get off work until 4:30pm. I dont work next monday so I will probably go in then.

weather is a big factor so I might be postponing the trip until next year.

ah! I forgot about that. we had a meeting at work on tuesday about city hall doing passports and they said as of now they wont but the county court does and they are right down the street. they have the same hours as the passport office but are way closer so I will make an appointment there instead.

Harmony likes this.
  14. Marshall & Moonshine

Marshall & Moonshine Senior Member

I’m actually about a week into having my PP expedited. I’ll keep you posted.
    :)

15. Marshall & Moonshine

Ah, I didn’t get to this part before I posted. Sorry.
    Mine has to be done before it expires or I can’t make the bacon.

16. Pennyman

Pennyman Senior Member

On a related topic:

I recently booked a flight for late next March using my current passport information, which expires next August. Most (if not all) countries require passports to have 6 month's validity in order for you to enter the country. So, I'll need to renew my passport sometime in February. Which means I'll be using a different passport from the one I used to book the flight.

I'm sure this kind of thing happens all the time, wondering if anyone here has had this experience? I'll probably take both passports with me just in case.

Harmony likes this.
  17. Marshall & Moonshine

I’ve renewed my PP and hopped right on a ship that went to lots of countries with no problem, but we deal with local immagration agents that are probably used to the shipping industry.
    For personal travel, I really don’t know.

18. Tone deaf

Tone deaf Senior Member

You also have to be careful with a passport that is about to expire (less than 6 mos). Some countries won't let you in.

I was going to a third world country and the guy started to give me some guff about it. They are concerned that people won't leave the country before their passport expires. It took all of my patience and discipline not to say "Why the f*ck would I want to stay here,* when this thing will get me out of this godforsaken place and back into the USA?"

* I was doing business there. Perfectly lovely place to visit, but there is a reason why all the people who live there would like to come here.

Harmony likes this.
  19. Harmony

Harmony V.I.P. Member

I have taken both new and expired passports with me without problem, but it will depend of course the country you going from and to. Also whether you have any visa's etc in them.

20. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

Do you have any flex days or sick days you can use?