Parts Esquire!!

Discussion in 'Fender' started by mmd, Sep 10, 2017.

1. mmd

mmd Senior Member

A while back - I guess about a year ago - I decided I wanted to build another Telecaster. Over the years I realized I was not a Strat guy...I am a Tele man, IF I play single coils, lol...

I had built a neat Tele a few years back...Pearloid GFS body, Squire Classic Vibe neck, various parts...anyway, it was a really cool looking guitar. Surprisingly it sounded pretty awesome too!!

[​IMG]

I ended up trading it on a PRS. Time went by, and I missed it a bit. So I decided to make another one. This time I figured I'd go for an Esquire, with a custom flair. I ordered up the parts, and then they sat....

and sat....

and sat....

Until yesterday!! Living in the Tampa area, I spent a big chunk of the past week slowly securing my house for Hurricane Irma. Yesterday rolled around and there wasn't much to do so I decided to build the Esquire. It took about 2.5 hours to assemble. I spent about 2 hours today playing it and doing the set up work. Here she is:

[​IMG]

Here's the parts rundown....

Body: GFS Blue Pearl Telecaster

Neck: Warmoth
    Style: Telecaster®
    Construction: Modern Construction
    Orientation: Right Handed Reverse
    Neck Wood: Maple
    Fingerboard Wood: Maple
    Nut Width: 1-11/16"
    Back Shape: Fatback
    Fret Size: 6150
    Tuner Ream: Vintage Style (11/32")
    Radius: 10-16" Compound
    Scale: 25-1/2"
    Fret #: 22
    Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
    Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: Black Corian - Standard Nut
    Inlays: No Inlay
    Side Dots: Black Side Dots

Pickguard:
    Warmoth Aged Pearl Esquire

Bridge:
    KLUSON® STEEL BRIDGE FOR TELE® W/BRASS SADDLES DUAL STRING THROUGH

Pickup: Fender '64 Telecaster Bridge Pickup

Wiring:
    • Oak Grigsby 4 Way Switch
    • CTS Solid Shaft 250K Audio Taper Pots Vintage Dishback Style
    • U.S.A. Spec. 3/8" bushing diameter x 3/8" bushing length Pots x 1/4" diameter shaft
    • .047uf 200v NOS Vintage Russian Paper in Oil Capacitor
    • .0047uf 200v NOS Vintage Russian Paper in Oil Capacitor
    • Switchcraft #11 Output Jack
    • Vintage Style 22 Gauge Cloth Covered Push Back Wire
    • Raw Brass Electrosocket
    The Special 4-Way Eldred Esquire Mod gives you the following:
    • Switching position #1 – Straight to Output Jack – Maximum Twang
    • Switching position #2 – pickup is routed through the volume control only - hotter, louder lead sound with extra highs.
    • Switching position #3 – pickup routed through the volume and tone controls.
    • Switching position #4 – Eldred Esquire wiring, the pickup is routed through a single, small capacitor and volume control, with the tone control bypassed.
    Tuning Pegs:
    These were courtesy of @LeftyF2003 - thanks again, Fred!! With me ordering a reverse headstock, I needed left handed tuners. Fred offered up a set of Fender/Squire Vintage-style tuners. I mentioned I could use them, and he shipped them over! It was a very cool offer and I am happy I was able to accept the offer!

The build did have a couple of issues. The GFS body is gorgeous, but DOES come with some issues. The pickup rout is never the right size (ugh)!! The neck holes are a bit closer then a standard neck plate. It takes a little bit of extra work, but it's not too bad.

The Warmoth neck is KILLER. I only have one fret (19th) that is a little on the high side. I'll take it over to a friend that is a guitar tech and have him level that fret. For now it's a slight bummer, but it's not a big deal.

I shot a video of the build. The edited version is a little over 30 minutes long. I will post it after it uploads to YouTube, for those of you interested in seeing...

Once Irma passes - we're expected to get hammered beginning in the afternoon into Monday morning - I'll make a demo/review video of it. I will say I am LOVING the tone and playability. It's a nice looking, solid feeling, specific-toned instrument. Can't ask for more than that!!

2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

Very nice!

Good move on choosing the three saddle bridge for it!
    :thumb:

Malikon, rikko and mmd like this.
  3. Walt_T

Walt_T Senior Member

I like it!

mmd likes this.
  4. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Right on!! As far as I am concerned, there is only ONE way to "do" a Tele.....three brass saddles with a top load!! I know a lot of guys prefer the string through body way to string, but I played one of my uncle's Telecasters - an '83 - and loved the string tension...so, now it's always a "top loader"!!

Benjammin and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  5. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Very nice! I'm glad those tuners got such a good home :)

Happy new guitar build and I hope you made it through the storm OK :wave:

6. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thanks again! We survived the storm damage free... Even managed to keep power all the way through! But yesterday some jackhole was cutting a broken limb and took down our power at 2pm!!!! GAH!!!!! Duke Energy said it could be several days to a week before we get it back. Hahaha, it sucks, but at least we're safe!

7. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Sounds like it could have been worse. Do you have a generator?

8. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Haha, yeah it could have been a lot worse, though really the damage is minimal throughout the city. No generator...we're doing it 1800s style. Open windows and doors, cold water, hot drinks... come to think of it, it's like the 1970s, lol. While annoying it's not too bad yet. There is still a nice breeze!!

9. rikko

rikko Senior Member

Three barrels are UNSTOPPABLE...

Malikon, mmd and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  10. rikko

rikko Senior Member

(And that is pretty DANG SEXY!!!)

mmd and Bobby Mahogany like this.
  11. OldBenKenobi

OldBenKenobi Senior Member

What do you think of the GFS bodies? I want a doublebound black one but I've heard not-so-good things about the QC.

12. mmd

mmd Senior Member

It's a beautiful piece, but it had issues. This is the second one I have used and the issues were about the same..

1. The pickup hole is too small. I had to rework the rout to make it right. Luckily they use soft wood. My dremel with a coarse sanding wheel took care of it in a few minutes.

2. The white pearl body had that issue plus the jack hole needed to be expanded to fit the electro socket. I guess if you didn't use one of those it would be fine. The blue body didn't have that problem.

3. The blue body's neck holes were not 100% aligned with a Fender neck plate. Frustrating, but it still worked. The neck pocket was fine and the neck seated square.

For the price expect some issues. If I didn't want the pearl finish I would not use a GFS body. If you are okay with doing some work they aren't too bad. Lightweight and finished nicely.... the tone is surprisingly good too!

13. redcoats1976

redcoats1976 Senior Member

nice work,they both look killer.we are in central florida,just got power back friday.

mmd likes this.
  14. mmd

mmd Senior Member

Thank God. It sucked something fierce, huh? We were out for 6 days. Got it back around 7pm last night.

Thanks on the guitar! It plays REALLY well. I am surprised, lol!! Just gotta get that ONE fret levelled and it'll be PERFECT!

15. Malikon

Malikon 仮面ライダー V.I.P. Member

that looks cool, dig that reverse headstock. :dude:

is that a hole in the side of the neck down around the 20th fret?

mmd likes this.
  16. Paul46

Paul46 Senior Member

That's where you adjust the truss rod on some Warmoth necks, and very convenient it is too!

17. Malikon

wow never seen that.

I think I'll stick with the Luddite way, that just looks weird to me. :laugh2:

18. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I feel ya. The first time I got that on a neck was when I built a Jazzmaster. I thought it looked really odd, but after time I began to LOVE how easy it is to adjust the truss rod. NO removing the neck!!!! It is even easier than a headstock adjustment. No strings in the way. I have had EBMM guitars with the wheel at the bottom of the fretboard. That's easy to use too, but that adjustment on the Warmoth is really the BEST I have ever used.

19. Malikon

I guess? I never had a problem with sticking an allen wrench in the headstock. It fits right between the D and G string with no problem.

Old Fender necks adjusted at the heel are more of a PITA of course. :laugh2: For all of Leo's genius in designing amps and guitars...heel neck adjustment sucks. :laugh2:

I've seen some tricks like just loosening the neck plate screws to angle the neck up, (to make the neck rod readily accessible), instead of dealing with the pickguard,..but it's still a PITA.

Anyway your Blue Tele is cool. Hope you post pics when it's all done and strung up.