Painting a Fender maple neck...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by JoeBguitar, Oct 5, 2017.

1. JoeBguitar

JoeBguitar Senior Member

So, I've decided to use a heat gun to remove the poly from my Strat. I'm going to use some nitro spray cans to paint the body. I don't think I'll have any issues with this.

I also considered spraying some tinted nitro on the neck to give it a more amber colored vintage look. However, I'm pretty sure the neck has poly on it too (even though it's a satin finish). Can you just spray some tinted clear over that poly and sand/buff it? Or would you have to strip it first too? I don't plan on stripping the neck so I may just leave it as is.

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Member

I don't know about fully stripping the neck, as lacquer can go over poly, but you might want to knock some of it down so that the finish does not end up a mile thick. The good thing is that if you miss a few little spots or leave a light layer on, it won't mess with the lacquer. On the other hand, unless you absolutely HATE the feel of the poly, you could just leave it, as you mentioned!
    Just My $.02,
    Gene

3. WhiteEpiLP

WhiteEpiLP Senior Member

Or buy an unfinished neck, spray it and bolt it on.

4. Freddy G

Freddy G V.I.P. Member

scuff sand the neck with 320 grit. you don't need to take off much, as Fender necks do not have a thick finish. before you spray the nitro, clean the crap out of the neck with naphtha. then use a clean cloth and clean it with naphtha again....every corner and crevice. You need to decontaminate the neck of any possible deposits of oils, silicones, polish etc....or you will get fisheyes when you spray nitro.