PAFs with FAT mids?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by marshallplexi, Oct 16, 2017.

1. marshallplexi

marshallplexi Junior Member

Hello all,

I have a very nice LP replica here that I'm having a hard time finding the right pups for...

The guitar is light (8lbs even!!, not chambered) and has a pretty good tone BUT it definitely lack some weight in the mids/low mids department.

I've tried several sets so far: BK Mules and PGs, Area 59s PAFs, SD Bonamassa Skinnerburst PAFs and Wizz LTD vintage wire.

All sounded pretty good... The Mules were good except for the A4 mags which I don't care for, especially in this guitar. The Bonamassa set is nice especially the neck pup, not thrilled with the bridge.
    The Wizz vintage wire set (first edition) with A2 mags (my preference) sounds the best in this particular guitar but the mids sound a little too thin to my ears.

Anyone could recommend a PAF set with some rich/pronounced mids/low mids, tight-ish low end while preserving some good clarity in the top end?

2. freefrog

freefrog Senior Member

IME, mids/low mids are not the kind of frequencies enhanced by vintage voiced pickups.

Now, with a vintage set like the Wizz, I'd simply use... a "vintage" cable. IOW, a cable exhibiting high capacitance, wether it is a long cable or a coiled one.
    EDIT: a high capacitance cable can be emulated just by adding a small capacitor (500pF to a few nanofarads) between the hot and ground of a standard cable, BTW.

Reason: as any passive pickup forms a LRC filter once associated to pots and guitar cable, cable capacitance shifts down its "resonant peak" and enhances the mids once high enough. That's how guitar heroes obtained warm tones from bright P.A.F.'s, back in the days.

Now, if you prefer to shift down the resonant frequencies towards the mids by other means, there's plenty of "hot" pickups ready to do the job, going from overwound P.A.F. replicas to models like the Duncan Custom (or the JB, well known for its "mid hump").

Good luck in your quest...

3. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Senior Member

Well, if you use A2 magnets that provide those buttery mids, they do it at the expense of tight lows. I like the buttery mids, so I use Alnico II Pros. They are vintage output, but the mids are really musical and dynamic.

4. Pappy58

Pappy58 Senior Member

Still too many variables..Unknown body composition, Pot values, what amp are you using, etc... But I would probably go with the Whizz based on your post and attempt to fix any annoyances downstream.

Nice Tweed amp with one of these: cd9758_72bdf835a9a9489fb22ea6ed2ca93c6a.jpg

5. The_Nuge

The_Nuge Senior Member

I've had great success with Electric City Pickups (RD59) and Tyson Tone Lab (can't remember which model I have) in my "difficult" R7BB.
    Both are members here, and you can talk to them directly for advice and custom options!

Wraptail likes this.
  6. ntotoro

ntotoro Member

I have a set of Rolph Pretender 58's in my Oxblood R4 and they definitely have a little thicker midrange without being honky. Really nice highs, but a nice bit of chunk, also.

Nick

7. Dilver

Dilver Senior Member

I just went through the pickup quest. I found the OX4s to be pretty mid-forward, but they were too middy in my R8. But OX4s typically use A4 magnets. I’ve come to realize that I don’t like bridge pickups with A4s.

8. moreles

moreles Senior Member

Sticking with reasonably-priced PUs, I can second the Duncan Alnico II Pros. They are great OUs, and in my setup have great mid presence -- not overpowering, but not scooped away.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. mdubya

mdubya Senior Member

10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Senior Member

I'd just swap out the magnet in the neck of the Wizz.

11. AbbeSauniere

AbbeSauniere Senior Member

I have a Burny RSA semi that is very light and bright and can be a little anemic with pickups that sound bigger in other guitars. I replaced the Wizz, which had some serious upper mid and high end emphasis in that guitar with Throbak Pre-Ts. Lost of lower mid range grunt, but well balanced from lows to highs. More compressed sounding than most PAF style pickups. Harmonically rich too.

WCR Good Woods might work as well. Had a set in a light and bright Burny SG. Really mid forward, just verging on honky, mellow highs and pretty taught low end.