PAF repro magnets on ebay

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by retrobob, Apr 15, 2017.

1. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

There is a guy on ebay, (addiction fx.) selling sand cast alnico magnets.
    They look pretty good. And only 2.50 each.
    Anyone have any info on these?
    Thinking about ordering some to try out in some paf clones.
    Just wondering how close they could be to real paf magnets?

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Old School Premium Member

I don't know if they are close to real PAF magnets, but the sandcast unpolished magnets seems to have a more vintage vibe - in my opinion. I have bought sandcast magnets of different alnico grades at Addiction FX, and have no complaints :)

If you are in Europe you can buy from MLP member LtKojak (http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/member.php?u=17510). He can also give you some great advice on what could be the best choice fo ryou.

3. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I've bought from Him and was good with the purchase . Are they like a Vintage magnets ? (No link to exact 1's your referring to )
    I'd say No, (But they Still are good magnets ) . I don't know the make up of these newer magnets are different .
    So, You'd have to go to Thro-Bak or find another seller who has special made magnets done to get something similar to a REAL PAF magnet
    OR ,,,, A Hint , buy (spend the $$$) Real ones

@ $2.50 a piece... If they don't do what you want ,,, your not out a large chunk of change. Turnaround being , even with Vintage Mags ,, They may not do what your wanting either ...It's the whole pup ,guitar and Amp and not only 1 part ....
    I wish it was ... I (and a few other here)would have saved a LOT of $$$ if it was .

4. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Bob, being sandcast or roughcast don't make'em "PAF repros" magnets.

Another thing, there are several different Alnico grades used by Gibson in their p'ups. There isn't only one "real PAF magnet".

AddictionFX have been in the magnet business for quite some time, and I like a lot their A4s, A8s and UOA5s. The other Alnico grades they offer are good too.

HTH,

5. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Thanks for the replys.
    Yep can't beat the price for sure.
    I'm wondering if he makes his own magnets, or imports them from China?
    I have heard that the Chinese magnets are supposed to be pretty good because they are low tech. Like our yesteryear magnets were.
    Supposedly US magnet makers are too high tech these days to produce magnets like they used to.
    Any thought on this or is it BS?

BTW Im getting some of his A2s to full around with.

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Magnets are wide and varied. Unless you have done an analysis on the precise components of a 50's era magnet, the chances of it being anywhere close is unlikely.

And yes, there have been tests done on various sources of magnets and how they affect pickup tone. An A4 is NOT all the same.......even amongst modern mags where the purity of element extraction is almost infinitely more than back in the 50's.

And I have seen this myself too. I have got mags from a PAF clone winder and compared them to the vintage mags in a 50's p90 set. There was a distinct difference in tone and feel and the grades were the 'same'.

I'd be interested to see where your above quote came from too. I'd bet it was from someone (?you) 'making a guess' rather than actually knowing anything about what goes on either in the US or China.
    There are plenty of foundries doing custom castings as Throbak and even ReWind can attest to.

7. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member

They are Chinese. You can just ask Dennis or Hannah (the owner and his daughter). I don't think they try to hide that fact. The cost alone is proof they are not US made, as US magnets cost near $10/ea even at quantities of 1,000+ units.

This quote is from something Dave Stevens said. To me, that source is enough to know it's BS. If you read the things he's said over the years, his statements contradict each other and change over time. It's as if he doesn't realize the internet is documenting it all or he knows people won't do the leg work to put that together.

There are still at least two US facilities mass-producing cast AlNiCo magnets and both are very willing to work with individuals and small companies, as long as quantity and budget is in line with their requirements.

Are today's Chinese guitars more like vintage American guitars because vintage American guitar factories were cruder int he 1950s than they are now?

8. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Yes I think the guys name was Stevens. The info came from his video on youtube.
    Thanks for confirming that its BS.

Your last comment had me laughing pretty good! thanks.

9. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Magnets weaken over time.
    What about slightly degaussing pickup magnets?
    And the best way to do that?
    Might be worth a try at only $2.50 a pop.

10. cooljuk

Most guitar pickup magnets don't really weaken over time, alone. It takes external influence via electromagnetic fields or physical shock to weaken a magnet.

There are exceptions, like the already weak A3 magnets situated opposing each other in early P-90s and the thinner humbucker magnets of the 70's (when the polar face of a magnet is too small in relation to it's other surfaces it can become weak more easily). Some types and designs hold a charge better than others.

To de-gauss a magnet, you generally have to put some intentional effort into it with a stronger magnet. Leaning a guitar against a typical Marshall cab is not generally enough to do harm.

11. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

I have some A2s coming.
    I'm wondering if my old tape head degausser would have an effect.
    Keeping it at a distance, not right on the magnet of course.

Or maybe just order some A3s if they are weaker.

12. cooljuk

An electronic tape head demagnetizer is basically a small AC coil at the end of a wand that generates an alternating field. Yes, it will almost certainly work. I would start far from the pickups and come in just a little at a time each swipe, listening for change frequently.

13. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

I appreciate the good info. Thanks! :cheers:

14. cooljuk

Ya, man! No problem.

I meant to also say that you can (and should) do this with the pickups in the guitar, strings on, plugged in.

You'll hear your demagnetizer though your amp, since it's a steady AC signal, so turn the volume down until you know how loud and awful it will sound.

Swipe the demagnetizer over the pickups from a distance, don't actually touch them or the strings, strum and listen. Then repeat as needed. It's easy to go too far and it even seems that demagnetization takes an extra step in the direction you are heading after you stop so take your time with it.

Let us know how it turns out.

15. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

A huge part of the reason that today's manufacturers have in producing magnets like they used to? I think it's repeated recycling of the materials. I remember once when Dave said that old magnets had more impurities. Actually, it's quite the opposite, according to some testing that was done recently. Most likely, due to recycling over and over of aluminum, etc, today's magnets have more impurities.

16. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Ok, will do. I'm thinking slightly less drag on the strings & more sustain, with a slightly weaker magnet. As has been discussed here before.
    Thanks again.

17. retrobob

retrobob Senior Member

Never thought of that, Good stuff.

Thanks.