PAF Reality check!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SD Pickups, Jun 20, 2011.

1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

2. battweek

battweek Senior Member

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

4. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

I am not sure, a customer sent it to me, but I am pretty sure it is a plexi.

5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

I have a set of the VL 2's and imo they sound better than this recording. Only the set of OTPG pups, bumped them out and I miss having them in a guitar at the moment. Dave winds great pickups imo and are a very close 2nd to OTPG.
    I've ordered a set of the VL61's 'cause I like them so much.:wow:

As for the SKATTERBRANE's I have a set (EarthBranes/Wood -uncovered anyway) in the 60 Replica and i'm liking them a lot. I've had them for a while now, and just put them in a few weeks ago . Sorry I waited so long. These are fine sounding pickups and a great take on the a PAF wind.
    When i do the 1 guitar, "pickup shoot out" which I'll start later this month or early next month , I'll include all the pickups I have. This will take some time to put together, but should be interesting.

6. JLH

JLH Senior Member

Looking forward to your "shoot out" will you have the 61's by then?

7. korus

korus Senior Member

Since Sheds are gone - then it will be : OTPG, Throbak, Dave Stephens VL, Skatterbrane, Sheptones ... ? I know what it takes - time and effort - just to put all those in and out of the same guitar ... Thanks for your effort in advance. And for your willingness to share with us.

3 people like this.
  8. bodark

bodark Senior Member

^^^^ +1

9. jamman

jamman Premium Member

From the lead time Dave gave me , I don't think they will be here. Right now, it looks like the end of the Summer ~. It would be nice If I got them sooner , but I'd rather wait for him to make them the way he feels are correct. He does make fine pickups. and you can't rush him anyway. But, imo worth the wait.

As for the others, I also have other Sheds which I'll put into the mix
    (Blues & 2's and another set of PAF Daddy's) A set of Shaws . I'll bypass the Gibsons and Duncans as I don't think It's worth the time involved.
    This time, I'm thinking to only do clean channel demo's as it becomes double work and "takes" to get a dirty channel demo. So off the top of my head it looks like these:
    OTPG , SD - VL2's , Sheptone -Tributes , Throbak - 101 ltd , Shed -as above, SBranes - Earthbranes , Shaws , Zhangbuckers . And any i've forgot at the moment. I'll be using the '59 Replica for all the pickups going into the Marshall JVM/ 1960ax cabinet. same settings as before. I'll post photos of the amp settings.
    I'll be busy for a while, I think :lol:

4 people like this.
  10. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

If you're going to take it this far, why not include some of the new offers as well from OX4 and Wizz?

1 person likes this.
  11. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

& BKP also.

1 person likes this.
  12. blamo

blamo Senior Member

money doesn't grow on trees

1 person likes this.
  13. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

It's made from trees though.

Perhaps if the cost of pickups is an issue, some member(s) here would be kind enough to offer up a set of loners in the name of PU science?

:hmm:

14. River

River Senior Member

Someone should start Rent-A-Pup!

5 people like this.
  15. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Nope. Contrary to common belief, money are made out of cotton. True.

Carry on boys!

4 people like this.
  16. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Now, that's just funny guys.:lol: And it's correct about the money part . This little adventure has been costly . which is ok, but even I have limits . And the wife doesn't like to see more packages in the mail right now.:wow:
    And than it's a time factor .
    But if any winders want to send some pups my way, I will gladly return them, after doing a demo that I could post here for everyone to see. PM me and we could work out the details .:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  17. rykus

rykus Senior Member

seems to me if I cut a bunch of flamed maple off my property then yes money does grow on trees, just a thought.....bet a nice old growth brazilian rosewood could bring in a couple bucks too!

2 people like this.
  18. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:hmm:...........not in Australia................it is made form a Polymer............so it lasts longer. :laugh2:

My 2c FWIW..............my '58 Replica just arrived last week with Sheptone Tributes + Throbak Covers............I am astounded by how close they sound to a set of Vintage PAF's that we recorded in the same guitar under the same conditions.

I now plan to change the magnets from DG A5 to A4, order a set of SD VL '61's with A4's & get a set of OTPG pickups if the opportunity ever arises.

Once I clear out the guitars I am not keeping I'll buy a set of Vintage PAF's.

:cheers:

3 people like this.
  19. JLH

JLH Senior Member

I have a set of Sheptones, three sets of SD VL 61's a set of SD VL2's and I have a set of real PAFs, I just need to get a REAL BURST, If I sell all these pickups, I may be able to buy one :dude:

2 people like this.
  20. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

:laugh2:..............you crack me up. :)

Seriously though, an overview of what you think about these pickups & how they sound compared to your Vintage PAF's would be cool.

:cheers:

2 people like this.