PAF Reality check!

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by SD Pickups, Jun 20, 2011.

1. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

So, from any point of view you ALL have it wrong!

If woman's where using lesonas for winding, then you all have it wrong, very wrong. The touch of a woman is almost impossible for a man to achive, they are delicate we are not.

Wow, this just turned upside down.

2. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I agree 100% with this statement! And as an owner of not only many vintage PU's but also many of the best current reproductions I have drawn my own very strong conclusions.

That being said with this last comment I will almost immediatly, as I have long been meaning to, buy a set of your PAF replicas. I really appreciate what you contribute to the forum and the manner in which you deliver it. thank you!

I also enjoy the banter between my favorite winders, and in my mind none of these guys would have made it as far as they have come with out the cock sure I've done my research, paid my dues and what i know is the truth attitude, you see it in the top 1% of any field(along with the laid back observers and anti-social recluses).

I would once again like to thank every winder for their passion and dedication and just as a reference of the PU's I've tried so far, and my taste in tone, OTPG,SD and Throbak are my favorites most recently joined by Rolph's, a PU I wouldn't have bough just because I've never heard them hyped that much, got them in a used R8 I bought and I love em!

I like the Rolphs and the SD for thicker tones that maintain clarity and sparkley complexity, and the Throbak and OTPG for brighter harmonically complex tones that cut through heavier gain.

Can't wait to try others like Wizz and Shed which both seem to represent the brighter bitier side and the Scatt's that from what I've heard I think will be more in line with the SD and Rolph's.

Thanks again winders for sharing why your products are the best for the tones your recreating, although it would be nice if you guys could tell us more about what tones your different PU's are trying to recreate than what parts they use or how they where wound to achive it, after all your are talking to a bunch of lowly guitar players....

3. rykus

rykus Senior Member

It would also be really cool if some of you winders would let us know some of your favorite winders and why.
    I would love to hear the guys that you guys feel makes the best parts or has a great ear for tone!
    I know I've seen a lot of you guys give props but I'd like to know why! as nt only a customer but as a tone chaser.

thanks again

4. Garrincha

Garrincha Member

That's exactely what I am thinking. I mean I love what Gregor does, I've seen him playing live on some occasions and I even bought a nice brownface Deluxe from him years before he started selling gear for a living. He is a really nice and down to earth chap and a monster player but on this promo-videos all you hear is the sound of that Okko diabolo pedal and I always thought that was a shame.

On a sidenote, he did own an original Burst at one time. I've seen him when he still had that fiddle and I always thought that was not the PAF sound that I would have gone for. That goes to show how different the perceived "PAF reality" can be sometimes.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

2 people like this.
  6. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

Well Nico, I know some ham fisted women that are about as delicate as a sledge hammer.

I just got my first PAF replica, BK Mule's & they are the best sounding humbucker I have ever played. If they represent what the best pickup makers can do then I am sold. I would also like to try the other makers pickups here in the future.

7. nicolasrivera

Well i´m all in favor of a woman's wind, remember a name, Abigail, she was one of the staff of woman winding fender single coils back in the golden age and she did some special winds for fender some years ago and those pickups fetch huge amounts of money because some are in disbelief on how different and truer the sound is from the normal custom shop wind done today.

I would love to hear a wind of a PAF from a woman that has done it in the past.

1 person likes this.
  8. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

I may be mistaken but I believe she still works for fender winding pups for the Custom Shop.

9. cousingrandpa

cousingrandpa Senior Member

I know who she is, I like my strats just about as much as my Pauls. I was just kinda playin wit ya bro :)

1 person likes this.
  10. captcoolaid

captcoolaid Senior Member

Last I heard Abigail is still with Fender but more in name than anything else at this point.

1 person likes this.
  11. nicolasrivera

I cant remember , i know she does special runs from time to time, but not every day job, but i just don't know.

12. nicolasrivera

:thumb: its all cool man.

13. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

Yer, she must be well old now, and whether she's actually doing any winding or not they can still sell them as AY pups I suppose, do you think Fender would do that :hmm:

:laugh2:

14. Garrincha

Garrincha Member

According to Seth Lover no production PAF was ever handwound. He said in an interview once only some prototypes and possibly some repairs were done by hand. Everything else was machine wound.

The only thing the women at the factory would have done is soldering the leads to the coil. I doubt that there is a gender dependent tonal difference to be found at that stage of assembly ;)

2 people like this.
  15. upl8tr

upl8tr Senior Member

It's rumored that they only employ women with small feet, so that they can get closer to the sink when they are doing the washing up after tea breaks... :shock:

:laugh2:

2 people like this.
  16. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Well, I was just watching this:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ_HlIlGyT0&feature=related]Mark Knopfler - Brother In Arms - YouTube[/ame]

2 people like this.
  17. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Damn, that sounds good. Thanks, man.

18. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

You're welcome brother. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  19. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

I know there is old wood involved in this clip and that makes a difference....but damn if those don't sound like great PAF's to me....

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fkharSoYl0&feature=related[/ame]

6 people like this.
  20. JLH

JLH Senior Member