PAF minihumbuckers: PAF sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by josep_cla, Mar 1, 2012.

1. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well, actually if you read the thread then they do seem like they have more of the tonal properties of a PAF than say a normal mini.
    Of course that is assuming you believe the word of the people who have tried them. I personally haven't.

Kris Ford likes this.
  2. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Stands to reason..same wire and magnet..BUT..part of what we know as PAF magic..could be related to it's physical size? :hmm:

3. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Redundant links, but anyway....

4. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Physical size is no doubt influential, as anyone could conclude after a few seconds critical thought. But PAF like, as is being described here, means there are a lot of elements close but a few elements different.

5. 1969 weatherman

1969 weatherman Senior Member

aside the little argument epi mini vs pafs (personally i think they share the paf tone in spades) didn't the early deluxes got the 60's epi mini's? anybody has real info on that one?

6. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Well, the word is that 'leftover parts got used'. Whether any of the parts were all together as pickups I don't know. But if they were then its likely they were with the same wire type and magnets as what were being used at the time anyhow - from about 65 the winding, wire and mags were all the same through until about '74

1969 weatherman likes this.