PAF minihumbuckers: PAF sound?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by josep_cla, Mar 1, 2012.

1. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Curiosity forced me to build some kind of test jig...

[​IMG]

.... got some noice out of one pu; definitely a touch of PAF ... :cool:

I think the other pu needs a new braided lead...:hmm:
    I'll uppload a sound sample when pickup surrounds and pu is fixed. :)

2. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

Great find! If you have to open one to fix the lead, please post some pics of what's inside!

Also.. You probably already know that the cover is about the only thing holding a mini together and when you take it off, they are super easy to damage.

3. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Yeah, it is like one of those cans you open and a spring loaded snake pops out.

2 people like this.
  4. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Thanks Dougie, pics will come if I have to open it.

I didn't know that... :shock: Thanks for warning me!

5. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Vintage mini humbuckers - PAF sound?

What do you think, it's the 7.4k pu mounted in my R9 played through a Fender Deluxe Reverb-Amp.... :cool:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNU4gSccQxA]Vintage Mini Humbucker - YouTube[/ame]

3 people like this.
  6. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

Whoa! That sounds great! I don't know if I would say it's a PAF sound, but it's totally a vintage sounding pickup that has a voice of it's own. Some of the more rhythm stuff sounds PAF-ish but the beginning blues licks got that Atlanta Rhythm Section kinda tone (Barry Bailey - Goldtop LP Deluxe) which is slightly more tele-ish and midrangey than a full size humbucker, but still full of twang and real sweet picking attack.

I think the coils being closer together on a mini makes the tone more even from one coil to the other, where a full size humbucker has more contrast because the coil closer to the bridge gets a more trebly tone and the other coil sounds more bassy because it's farther away from the bridge.

Thanks for posting that! You hardly ever hear what a PAF mini sounds like these days.. Oh and some mighty fine pickin' there too!

Edit: The Epiphone that Otis Rush plays on this 1966 performance of "I Can't Quit You Baby" has the same PAF minis that you have there. This is ~the~ definitive track that so greatly influenced Jimmy Page and Robert Plant, this is Zep's roots!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3Hg3DII8k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR3Hg3DII8k[/ame]

5 people like this.
  7. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Thanks Dougie, for your kind words and comments.
    I agree, it really sounds totally vintage .... :thumb:
    BTW, I dig that Otis 1966 number, thanks again!

8. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

[​IMG]

9. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Arf, arf..., me like that, thanks ...:thumb:

10. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

Zoork, looks like I might be joinin' ya man, your clip got me interested enough to bite on a pair of these minis, they are definitely PAF/PAT# transition period, fingers crossed they will have dark wire..

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. zoork_1

zoork_1 Senior Member

Nice to hear about the pu's, I'll keep my fingers crossed to...:thumb:

12. Dougie

Dougie Senior Member

Whoa damn they came today, NOS minis which are all the same as the PAF minis with only the sticker changed as far as I can tell. Check the thread I started a little while ago.

13. Palladio

Palladio Senior Member

I'm reviving this old thread, since there is some really good information on vintage mini humbuckers here that I thought I'd add to. I've experimented with old mini humbuckers in a couple of guitar projects. The ones I've had previously had the patent # sticker, and what looked to be chrome plating IIRC. They all read in the 6.0K - 6.5K ohm range. I had no way to date them, other than thinking they were mid to late 60's perhaps, given that they still had the patent sticker (later ones from the 70's are stamped on the back) and what I think was chrome plating. They were nice sounding pickups, but I wouldn't say they had much in common with a PAF or T-Top (which I also have in other guitars). They were brighter, with much less low end and punch, than a full sized humbucker. I found them more similar to an early Firebird pickup, but not quite as bright or clear as those. Here are some photos of that model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Recently I bought a '63 Epiphone Sorrento, which has one nickel plated mini humbucker. I was pretty much blown away by how great this pickup sounds. It's much fuller and warmer than the other ones I've had. It also reads out much higher at 7.75K. I don't want to pull the cover to check the wire, but I do wonder with that higher output if it has the old PAF type wire. '63 would be a bit late for it, but you never know with Gibson. They sometimes had old stocks of pickups that got put into guitar years after they were made. I've got a '63 LP/SG that has original PAFs, for example. Anyway, this particular mini humbucker sounds a lot more like a PAF to my ears. A bit brighter and more articulate, with less mids and low end - but it has a wonderful woody quality and fullness that the other mini hums didn't seem to have. This may be mostly due to higher output.

Here's the guitar, with the typical Epiphone black plastic ring with rounded/beveled edges:
    [​IMG]

And here's the back of the pickup:

[​IMG]

Thanks to all the previous posters for their contributions. I've had a hard time finding much solid info about these early mini humbuckers.

14. thrashmetl

thrashmetl Senior Member

I love this thread, now I need some Mini's, thanks ya bastards.

15. 1969 weatherman

1969 weatherman Member

love that thread and had to revive it again. I have minibuckers sitting in my 69 deluxe reading as high as 7.45...and am also wondering if the high reading has any thing to do with the type wire ...enamel? they sound very "paffish".

16. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

LOL.

Those minis are ONLY "PAFs" because the patent for humbuckers was pending..and they share some common materials..

Oh, and PAT# decals run up to '74.

I can't believe some of the stuff I read at this place...:rolleyes:

bulletproof likes this.
  17. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

^ Half the thread is about the epi mini's, which are VERY different to the Gibson deluxe style.

Kris Ford and bulletproof like this.
  18. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Yep, I got that but just because the patent for the humbucker wasn't approved yet (the ONLY reason for that lil decal) won't make them what we consider PAFs..(although by name, they would be)

Also missing from this is the version of mini used in the bridge of EB-3 and EB-2 basses..
    First of those were PAFs..then went PAT number..

19. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

I don't think anyone expects them to be PAF's.....no-one is saying that here. But the shape aside, the constructive elements and random wind nature present in the early 60's will still apply. So they become PAF-esque
    I mean you can get a lot of PAF like qualities out of a P90 (or is that p90 qualities out of a PAF??) and they have almost the same amount of variations between them.

Have you played one of those original 60's epi mini's btw - they sound from the reports like a great option to check out

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Senior Member

Well, the title is PAF Minihumbuckers, PAF sound, right? So I'd think that someone WOULD expect them to be PAFs somewhat.

My point is that the mini is ONLY a "PAF" due to the decal saying the patent hasn't yet been granted..(applied for..the precursor to Patent Pending)..because it is a HUMBUCKER..nothing more. The patent is for the humbucking design...not the tone.

So really despite the common features and even certain build techiniques, materials, etc..the only thing they TRULY have in common is they are humbuckers...

Have never tried myself..closest I got was a PAT# in an EB3.