PAF-ish Poll (now with FREE PICKUPS!)

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by cooljuk, Jan 20, 2012.

What's your preference?

1. Low Output - Double Cream

90 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Low Output - Zebra

61 vote(s)
    15.7%
  3. Low Output - Double Black

29 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Medium Output - Double Cream

91 vote(s)
    23.4%
  5. Medium Output - Zebra

101 vote(s)
    26.0%
  6. Medium Output - Double Black

52 vote(s)
    13.4%
  7. High Output - Double Cream

35 vote(s)
    9.0%
  8. High Output - Zebra

34 vote(s)
    8.7%
  9. High Output - Double Black

30 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Choose your poison.

Vote more than once if you want. Multiple choices available.

If you only like covered, just choose your preferred output level(s) and what you might like under the covers.

BigAl, Shai`tan, Hack and 23 others like this.
  2. cooljuk

To make participation in my poll here a little more fun, I'll give away a free set of my pickups!

On Valentine's day, February 14th, 2012, to show my love for MLP and my appreciation of those participating here, I'll choose one poster in this thread at random and ship them a free set of my pickups in the configuration of their choice.

It doesn't have to be the configuration you voted for, because the votes are private. I'll choose a random poster, contact them for their choice of output and bobbin color, and ship them out a free set.

I'll cover the cost of shipping to any MLP member in the continental US. If you're outside the US, then you'll have to pay for the shipping.

I have one catch though - so this doesn't turn into a s#itstorm. You have to have been a MLP member BEFORE today. I don't want the whole world joining and making just one post here to gain eligibility. If you weren't an MLP member prior to today - sorry, you're not eligible.

Fair deal?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. chriseskew24

chriseskew24 Senior Member

Low output double cream here!

1 person likes this.
  4. cooljuk

Wanna hear 'em?

Just keep in mind that both of these vids start out with the neck tone rolled all the way down for a real "woman tone" sound, they actually brighten up quite well so skip through the video to hear them get brighter. Jordan (the player in these vids) goes through the full range of tone and volume on each pickup and both together, just watch the whole video. ...and man, do they sound great together in the middle position!

The guitar is a totally stock 2008 Gibson USA LP Traditional. Stock (not 50's wiring) wiring. I suggest 50's wiring and better caps/pots with my pickups, but it's all player preference.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAyaMzv4AIg&hd=1]ReWind Demo 2 - Double Cream Stout Set - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caNyKIVQKwo&hd=1]ReWind Demo 1 - Double Cream Stout Set - YouTube[/ame]

The set in these videos is what I consider my "High Output - Double Cream" set. "Low Output" will be brighter and more dynamic. "Medium Output" will fall in the middle, but also uses a mix of different slug/screw alloys and winding patterns on the two coils to create a very harmonically rich and complex sound.

These are all in the range of PAFs, so "High Output" is a relative term. I don't do anything higher than about 9K with an A4 mag, ya dig?

I hope to have some audio and/or video clips up of my medium and low output sets very soon as well as a website with full descriptive details.

PS - I'm not selling these. Just giving away a set here. :D

4 people like this.
  5. JMB1984

JMB1984 Premium Member

I would have voted for covered if it were a choice. Do you want to share the specs for the different types?

2 people like this.
  6. cooljuk

I'll share any info you like. What are you looking for? Resistance measurements? Magnet types? Alloys? Bobbin material? I don't want to get too nerdy if folks aren't interested, but I have no secrets about what parts I'm using. They are all off-the-shelf parts, but they are all off the TOP SHELF. :dude:

btw - I see you are in MD, also. Where about? If you win, I can hand deliver to you. :rofl:

7. LeftyF2003

LeftyF2003 Premium Member

Medium output zebra here

2 people like this.
  8. captain tightpants

captain tightpants Banned

Low output double cream or Zebra. Mostly because I've been wanting a set of either for my black Studio :laugh2:

1 person likes this.
  9. cooljuk

Getting plenty of votes, but not too many posts so I just want to clarify -

I can't see who's voting. The votes are all private. I'll need members to not just vote but also POST in the thread to be entered into the contest.

Thanks guys/gals!

10. your idol

your idol Senior Member

i put some love in for uncovered high output double black. its better to have horsepower and not need it than need it and not have it. good luck brother

1 person likes this.
  11. your idol

your idol Senior Member

a post so nice it posted up twice

12. 68_Mustang

68_Mustang Senior Member

Low output double cream is my vote

1 person likes this.
  13. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

Low output zebra

:thumb:

1 person likes this.
  14. sixstring531

sixstring531 Senior Member

I voted for low black. I prefer the unpotted, open and articulate sound. Shaws have been my favorite humbucker so far.

I think it's cool (no pun) what you're doing.

1 person likes this.
  15. MrKensei

MrKensei Senior Member

Medium Output Double Black here, lovin' the tones on the high output, but I like the idea of a touch more brightness, and I've been dying for new pups to fit to my Studio.

1 person likes this.
  16. StandingWave

StandingWave Senior Member

I'm in, low-output double cream. The description of the medium output version sounds interesting, would like to hear those.

1 person likes this.
  17. cooljuk

Ah, yes. These are all as accurate to PAFs as my materials and knowledge will take me. Being so, they are all unpotted, just like the originals.

I've had my hottest set cranked up in a few rooms with zero squealing problems. I just keep all the physical parts assembled tightly and have no problems with unpotted pickups, even at high gain near a a big amp.

18. TKOjams

TKOjams Senior Member

Low output double blacks.:applause:

Really, what's not to love.:dude:

1 person likes this.
  19. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I just voted for double-creams, but medium output. And... covered at the same time! With the looks of my Studio at the moment, I think that only covered would look great, but in the future perhaps I will swap the plastics for cream and uncover the pickups.

''Medium output'' of course is very vague and has nothing to do with resistance. Let's see... Bridge pickup: A5 magnet, wound around 9,5k, Neck pickup A2 magnet, wound around 8-8,5k, how's that sound...?:fingersx:

1 person likes this.
  20. moldymealworm

moldymealworm Senior Member

Low output zebras

1 person likes this.