P90 wiring....What can be done?

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by irocdave12, Sep 14, 2017.

1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I'm familiar with what can be done with two HB in a les paul with push pull pots and Jimmy Page harness but what would be possible to do with two p90's if you wanted all the bells n whistles? Is a couple of coil taps and series parallel about all you can do? I'm looking to do one up and have something out of the ordinary with wiring options

2. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

If you don't have coil taps as part of the pickup itself then that is impossible to wire in of course.

OOP and series/parallel for both on is all you add in if they are true p90's

3. BigM

BigM Senior Member

The only other thing i can think of is switching between 50's and modern wiring. It would just be switching the cap location on the volume pot between pin one and two.

M

4. DarrellV

DarrellV Murry Chrirstmers to earl! Silver Supporter Premium Member

Hey AR, don't they make a coil split (tapped) P-90 these days?

I thought i saw one offered a while back from Gibson on a couple of their models....

Looks like a GC exclusive, but they may be out there in the market by now...

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro Electric Guitar with Coil-Splitting P-90 Pickups Ebony

Beyond the look and feel of this great new member of the Les Paul family, a pair of Gibson USA's new Tapped P-90 pickups take the Les Paul Traditional Pro with Tapped P-90s right over the top. A "coil tap" feature usually refers to splitting a humbucking pickup, but in the truer sense of the term these new single-coil units are wound with a "tap wire" that eliminates a portion of the coil, to access a second sound from each pickup. In full mode each pickup sounds like a traditional thick, snarly Alnico V P-90 in its position (approximately 7.0k ohm in the neck position and 8.6k ohm in the bridge), but lift the push-pull switch on each pickup's volume control, and resistance levels drop to 5.0k ohm and 6.0k ohm respectively, for a brighter, sharper single-coil sound that is still rich and authentic, and not as thin as other pickups that are split entirely in half. A great new feature, this pickup makes its debut on the Les Paul Traditional Pro with Tapped P-90s, exclusive from Guitar Center.

XpensiveWino likes this.
  5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Thats why I said 'if coil taps are not part of the pickup'

DarrellV likes this.
  6. Tubejockey

Tubejockey Junior Member

You may want to look at a half-out-of -phase option. I have used it extensively on Strats and Tele's to great effect. Sounds fantastic with strat pickups. You may have to play with the capacitor value to get it working to your liking, but well worth it. Start with .01uF.
    Series with P-90's generally just makes mud. Full out-of-phase sounds very thin.

guitarjoem likes this.