P90 repair questions

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by xguitardevilx, Oct 2, 2017.

1. xguitardevilx

xguitardevilx Senior Member

I just bought this 2000 Gibson Les Paul Jr Special and the neck pickup was all the way up, and would not lower at all. I took the strings off and the pickup pulled right out. This is the first guitar with P90's I've ever owned, so I'm not familiar with what it should look like inside the cavity, but it looks like these gold bits were supposed to be pressed into those holes, but they came right out of the holes, threaded onto the screws. How would I go about fixing this? 20171001_150206.jpg

2. Leña_Costoso

Leña_Costoso Senior Member

Find screws that fit the escutcheons (those threaded bits). Thread the screw into the escutcheon, and glue into the hole.

The question remains... which glue. Depends on the fit, but assuming the fit is rather sloppy as it stands, I think I'd use some 2 part epoxy as opposed to super-glue. Yes, the cure time is longer, but maybe something like JB-Quick would be ok. Be sure to mix well, I'd also coat the screw lightly with petroleum jelly as a release agent, in case you get epoxy on the threads. Key word there is --> lightly <---

Some Gibbys of that era also used a plate under the P90. That plate can be gotten from parts suppliers. The plate screws to the body with short wood screws, the pickup screws to the plate with machine screws and springs. I like the escutcheons better, but ended up making plates for my own SG conversion to P90s.

xguitardevilx likes this.
  3. xguitardevilx

Thanks for the reply! This is exactly what I was thinking. Gonna have to glue those bits into the holes.

4. Leña_Costoso

Just keep in mind there's limited depth so you may have to adjust screw lengths to get the pickup height that you like

5. xguitardevilx

Problem solved!
    20171001_164726.jpg

6. Leña_Costoso

Hey...what problem? :)

7. xguitardevilx

Super glue did the trick. I got this baby for $175, and all it took was a couple dollar bottle of super glue :)

garybaldy likes this.