P/U's

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by jc2000, Dec 4, 2017.

1. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

Has anyone ever spun their PU's around so the pole pieces are facing the middle of the guitar body? I have heard this will change the sound of the PU?? Thoughts?

2. Bobby Mahogany

Bobby Mahogany Senior Member

3. DavGrape

DavGrape Silver Supporter

I think the wire is going to be too short.
    But then, I think all electric guitars sound the same, no matter what you do.
    Align the screwheads straight, (along the same line) and ye shall achieve optimum tone.

NewDayHappy and RichBrew like this.
  4. Bill Hicklin

Bill Hicklin Senior Member

According to Seth Lover who designed the things, they were installed the way they were because they looked better that way, no other reason. His original prototype didn't have adjustable pole pieces at all; those were forced on him by the sales force, who considered "adjustable" to be a marketable buzzword "feature."

Remember, the pickup's magnetic field is generated across its entire width and length by the broad Alnico inside. The pole pieces aren't even necessary on such a pickup (unlike a Fender or a DeArmond, where the pole pieces are the magnets).

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  5. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

I have done this with the neck pickup on a couple of guitars. I've read that Wes Montgomery and Gary Moore did this to make the neck pickup brighter. I've also read that Dimebag Darrell did this with his bridge pickup to make it less bright.

jc2000 likes this.
  6. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

That's great news.. Thanks. and is there a concern as Davgrape said about the wire being too short??

7. Uncle Remus

Uncle Remus Silver Supporter

Depends on the length of wire. I have never not had enough, but it is possible depending on the route.

8. parts

parts Senior Member

I have my 65 ES175 pickup reversed..does make it brighter. It has been that way for many years.. Great for single PU guitar..

9. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Depends on the pickup. The slugs have more mass, and less length below the pickup winding. Hence the magnetic field shape is different to the screws. Which could well be a different alloy too.
    And of course if the coils are wound differently this adds to the effect.

Most pickups have symmetrical coils hence any difference is minimal.....until you start adjusting poles.

10. jc2000

jc2000 Senior Member

I have a 2013 Trad Pro II with classic 57 and super 57's. Has anyone dug into there PU cavity and see if the wire is long enough to spin it around? I am no guitar tech, and I would hate to have to try this and have it not be possible. Thanks for all your help.

11. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Well, I, for one, I'd say that what you're trying to do won't make any difference at all, unless you change the height of the p'ups in relationship with the strings.

If I was you, I wouldn't even bother.

jeffy and Bill Hicklin like this.