P-90 replacement need advice

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by irocdave12, Apr 16, 2017.

1. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

I've never touched a p90 or had one out before. What all is involved with replacing a typical p90 neck pup with the SD staple pup? I noticed the staple has the screws out on the corners vs the regular pup with screws in middle. Is there an adapter or am I putting new holes in the guitar?

2. PierM

PierM Premium Member

The Staple is deeper than a P90, and needs proper routing for the two external screws, which sometimes may be a problem because it does match with the Switch routing channel. If you want, there is Lollar which is producing a straight P90 replacement of the Staple.

3. irocdave12

irocdave12 Senior Member

So you are saying it's still a staple pup but fits in same footprint of the p90 no mods?

4. PierM

PierM Premium Member

5. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Yep, the typical alnico staple pickup will require guitar routing.

You can get a good portion of the vintage staple tone simply by building a p90 but with pole magnets like a strat. You keep the same p90 shape and mounting but with the tonal shift that pole magnets gives you. Its just the shape that will make the final difference in tone.

6. kakerlak

kakerlak Senior Member

Look how much is going on below the surface on an alnico pickup and you'll see why the route probably needs deepened (stolen pic from Curtis Novak):
    [​IMG]

7. Mr Alarm

Mr Alarm Senior Member

It needs a bit routing but it can be done. I made it done 3-4 years ago to a black Les Paul GOTW xx.

My luthier was excited doing it, he had never done it before and was very interested in the Staple pu.

He even made a tiny mahogany block with which I filled the routed gap when I sold the guitar.