Over the pond pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Rapdog, May 28, 2017.

1. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

I have a chance to pick up a set and wondered what people thought of these pickups? Anybody have some and want to share? How much would you say is a good price to buy them? I searched the forum and have read about them but would love some more input. Thanks In Advance! JR

2. korus

korus Senior Member

They are no longer being made. At the pick of hype they have reached $1300-$1500. While being excellent PAF replicas tonally, that cost does not make sense. Current most expensive replicas still being made reach $500-$750, which is also a bit high but market is obviously OK with that.

The irony in paying these amounts is in the fact that these sometimes go into guitars with wrong hardware parts and altered primary tone, which would not sound like original design even with the BEST selected PAF originals costing even $5000 and above. Or get played at bedroom level through anything but proper tube amp loud. It is more sad than funny, but it is OK as long as the buyer is happy with the end result.

You should try them in your guitar before you pay as price will be probably relatively high, and it might not be exactly what you expect them to sound like, which usually ends in selling them very likely at loss right after the honeymoon euphoria is over.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Guitar Rod, Rapdog and jcsk8 like this.
  3. ARandall

ARandall Senior Member

Echoing the above, these were the cream of the crop before the boutique market took off and the inner workings of the PAF were known. In those days they were unique.

Now you have winders able to copy practically every detail with the same sort of clear tone available from about $200 for the pair…..and in some cases the clones are wound with NOS wire which makes a pickup better for accurate tone than what newer wire seems able. And still for less price than what the OTPG ones sell for.

Its like the Klon Centaur…….demand has pushed the price too high for something available elsewhere for mere fractions of the price.

4. Rapdog

Rapdog Senior Member

Thank you for the replies. If I get his price down and pick them up I will let you know what comes of them.

5. jamman

jamman Premium Member

korus ,,,,

"You should try them in your guitar before you pay as price will be probably relatively high, and it might not be exactly what you expect them to sound like, which usually ends in selling them very likely at loss right after the honeymoon euphoria is over."

Really ??? Please,, if you know someone who's willing to let you have the pups(limited availability and no longer made) to try before paying , PM me .. :facepalm: Happens to be that OTPG pups ,normally re-sell at cost or close to it .. Unless you're desperate to move them at any price , fast ...

There is no Irony in how any one plays ,or at what loudness . Good pups with be heard at any volume . If your thinking /talking about 1 type of tone ,that only loud playing achieves ,,well the yes , you wont hear it . But many guitar players don't play super loud or using high gain and are able to find Great pickups ,,for them (including Real PAF's) .

What parts (wrong or not really don't have much effect on a guitars tone) ,,, The pups ,Amp , strings, pick type and most of all The player do )

Funny thing is , When PAF's were invented .... Rock and Blues (as we know it) Music was a few years away .
    ******************************************************************************
    I'll disagree , Every Winder has their own "take " with the sound of their pups ... Whatever the reason is , There is a difference ... Good or bad , is in the ear of the player .... Some ,imo sound better then others ... If they were all ~ the same ... S.Duncan would own the market ..
    I can't stand his pups ... (But that's me and my tastes) . Some love his pups .

Many have found OTPG 's pups ,"better" then all others ,less Vintage . And at a lessor price ...
    And that's how his pups are measured ,,,

Pups are bought with risk ,risk that they may not mesh together with your guitar well and sound good in it ....

CheopisIV and Skit like this.
  6. missio

missio Member

It is indisputable that the creation of OTPG pickups is one of the most important events in the history of the humbucker pickup. Regardless of the fact more recent winders can duplicate elements of original PAF pickups for less money today, the artistic brilliance of the creator of OTPG pickups will continue to serve as a great benchmark in the history of the PAF pickup—fifty or sixty years from now. If you are buying a pickup set in your quest for the perfect sound in your personal guitar, that is one thing. Happy hunting. If you are collecting pickup sets that changed the entire landscape of humbucker thought, then OTPG will continue to demand premium prices, especially now that no more sets will be produced from the OTPG bench.

7. rclausen

rclausen Senior Member

I feel fortunate to have a set of OTPG pickups. I've been through a lot of boutique offerings and feel I can say that these are wonderful pickups. Are they the best? I don't know. Do I love the way to sound in my guitar? Absolutely. They aren't cheap but if you want the experience, sometimes you have to pay for it.
    There are other exceptional winders, with James at ReWind among the top imo. We are really spoiled

8. LtKojak

LtKojak Senior Member

Without arguing the excellent job mr. OTPG did on his PAF replicas or depriving you the right to have an opinion, I find your assessment way "Over The Top", pun intended. Nothing wrong in being a fan, but being a fanboi, well... I rest my case.

HTH,

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Brutus, John6:66 and RAG7890 like this.
  9. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

+ 10, :thumb: :applause:

When I read it I thought several things..............the poster owns several Sets or he's related to Bharat. :rofl:

Funny, several friends who have owned them cashed in & sold them and bought other clones & told me the replacements sounded just as good to their ears.............& way cheaper.

Still Bharat did a great job at the time. :)

:cheers2:

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

First of all let me preface everything I state here as nothing but rumors and conjecture. That said here's what I learned over the years. Bharat Khandekar or Over the Pond Guy, is a Master Violin Luthier who also made some awesome '59 replica Les Pauls. In those guitars he added his own reproduction "PAF" humbuckers. These are supposed to be very close to real PAFs in both appearance and tone. So much so that these pickups have become almost a collectors item complete with prices to match.
    I have also read in various forums that people have even sold other pickups claiming that they were OTPG pups and that it can be difficult to verify the authenticity.
    Last but not least I heard somewhere that he still makes pups occasionally for certain people (friends perhaps?) but I can't verify any of this.

So there it is. Everything I either know or don't know as most or all of it could be incorrect.
    Good luck with the pups.

RAG7890 likes this.
  11. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

He made PU's for people who wanted to buy them, at the time. They were not expensive new, unlike some Boutique PU's nowadays that are just (IMHO) stupid money new. From memory they were 250 Quid a Set. He also made some really nice P90's.

I know quite a few that he made PU's for, some were indeed friends & some won't ever sell them as they are great PU's. They are not $1,250 great though.............again IMHO.

The only thing that I do not agree with is the Replicas. A friend in the UK has played 2 or 3 of them & he's owned a number of Replicas. He said they were nothing special when compared to others. From the photos I have, I'd have to agree from at least a looks perspective.

I know Bharat certainly didn't appreciate that when I told him what I thought. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

His expertise is Violins / Violas not making Replicas. Italian job leaves them dead.

I just hope he is in good health because he has had some major health issues.

My 2c FWIW.

TM1 and cooljuk like this.
  12. scovell001

scovell001 Senior Member

All the OTPG stuff happened 'before' I joined this forum (or had a LP for that matter) - can someone clarify - didn't the OTPG pickups 'formula' end up going to Shed pickups ? Am I also right (I think I found it on here) that Alex at Wizz got at least 2 sets of OTPG pickups & re-verse engineered them, then developed what we know today as the Wizz Premium Paf clone ?

13. RAG7890

RAG7890 Premium Member

From what I understand Bharat helped a number of winders. Oops, I forgot who they are. :dunno: :naughty:

The funny thing here is that I own several really good sets of Vintage PAF's & I can tell you that you do not need to buy a Set of OTPG PU's to replicate the tones of a good set of PAF's. There is a winder in Sydney I know who's PU's are every bit as good as a great set of PAF's. Mark's OX4's are great too.................& there are many others like him ReWind, Tyson Tone, Throbak etc. etc. The list is long.

IMHO Vintage PU's should be used for Restorations & Replicas...........or that super special Historic where you're looking to get that itch scratched. You also really need to try several Sets in a specific Guitar to hear what really works in that Guitar & matches the tones you have or think you have in your head.

A friend of mine who has owned ~ 24 Bursts told me it was not uncommon in the day to swap PAF's around between Bursts / GT's to get the best possible outcome.

Lastly, what is it with people paying big money to get the underside of their PU's looking like Vintage PAF's? They are not Vintage PAF's & apart from the Covers why get hung up about stuff you don't see. You'd be better off putting the money towards a Vintage Harness.

Oh, I should say there are quite a few fake sets of OTPG PU's in circulation, so caveat emptor. Where there is money there will always be thieves.

My 2c FWIW. :)