"Over The Pond Guy" PAFs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Liam, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

2. rykus

rykus Senior Member

Kind sad, this seller is a member here and has some nice stuff..... he had some OTPG pu's..... then sold a very nice set of "rewound DW PAF's" didn't go too high but ? people are strange,

you should start really looking at the actual OTPG pu's before you spend too much on some fakes, or we'll have to change your name to hopelessatI'dingOTPGpu's....

Also you should ask in your posts for help identifying so other members with wide eyes and open wallets don't take you as an authority.IMO.

Thanks again Alex, I will post up pics of mine for reference too!

1 person likes this.
  3. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

i will also take some new pics soon, i have new camera with stand and i am finishing light box :)

2 people like this.
  4. HopelessRomantics

HopelessRomantics Senior Member

i'm waiting my pickups from a low profile winder. but he is not from this forum :thumb:

5. The Thruth

here is one for you guys, i am still learning to take pictures with my camera

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  6. The Thruth

this one is not so good picture, but i just want to show the there are "L" tool marks on the feet but it is hard to capture them because pickups are pretty aged.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I'll take some actual pics of mine next time I do a string change but here's a rough shot.... notice the white is actually white and its not aged to death around the pole pieces unlike the 2 different sets on Ebay(these are OTPG rings too, the color should match them), the covered ones usually have a slight lack of plating where the pole piece holes are stamped through, and they actually dimple in a bit unlike most other covers.
    [​IMG]
    Here are more, still all in guitars though sorry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. rykus

rykus Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  9. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

Graveyard bump!

I just found out about these. Read this thread, saw some banned members. So, are these still considered the holy grail after market pickup given all the new winders that have emerged since this thread started?

10. GySgtFTL

GySgtFTL Senior Member

Yes.
    Hard to find, expensive and often difficult to verify authenticity. But they are available if you have deep pockets.

JMHO

11. geddy402

geddy402 Senior Member

Who made them and why did the stop?

12. korus

korus Senior Member

Initials are BK. Englishman, primarily repairer/restorer of vintage violins. When UK's Guitarist magazine writes on Bursts, he is the consultant of choice, with the usual sentence "OTPG forgot about Bursts more than we all will ever know". You get the idea.

AFAIK he never made pickups as a business. He did make some replicas. He did make PAFs for his and some other UK replicas, but stopped making them (PAFs) completely as he is not interested in the slightest in that/this market with it's ... features. Also health was mentioned and that he has enough work with violins to keep him busy. He actually used OTPG (over the pond guy) instead of his real name in order to avoid unwanted communication on PAFs and Bursts, so you get the idea.

So, as previously said, look for used ones. With deep pockets. There's a set in Member Classifieds for $1500 a this very moment.

1 person likes this.