"Over The Pond Guy" PAFs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Liam, Dec 6, 2008.

1. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Just me,But I don 't really go for Aging but I really like dulled Nickel covers that ain't all shinny and if they are Dulled up nicely I think they look great .
    Dulled Nickel hardware with a gloss finish is it for me . is that like polar or something ? :lol:

Care to post a pic so we can see what your talking about ? Or better yet start a thread of your own and don't derail this `1 ?

2. The Thruth

The Thruth wizzard MLP Sponsor

yes this have, but it is difficult to take a picture of them, maybe in future i post some more pics :thumb:

3. Mouse

Mouse Senior Member

be careful while taking photos. leg-base junction. :thumb:

4. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

OTPG has never charged a great deal for the pickups, but reduced the cost a little if supplying them un-aged IIRC. I've always chosen to have them aged because I'm basically not worried about $15 in the cost of a set of pickups.

I think the OTPG ethos at the start of his mission was something like "no-one seems to know what makes them sound great, so if I just make them the same down to the minutest detail none of it will make them any worse". And OK, he got a bit carried away with the detail, but they look and sound great. Why knock it?

Liam

4 people like this.
  5. Jakeislove

Jakeislove Senior Member

Thanks!

We don't really see many sets popping up anymore.

6. The Thruth

oh i get it, looks like you don't believe this are OTPG pickups?

7. MUSTANGCAT

MUSTANGCAT Banned

I must have a tin ear because I heard two demos on youtube with some English cat playing on a Marshall C5 and he was just playing clean. It put me to sleep. I like to hear some Jimi Page PAF crunch. I want some bite from the PAF. Either the demo sucks or this shit is all hype. I mean the emperor is naked dad! I'm not a 14 year who wants to lick Slash's crack here, I want tone for my money, before I drop it Sherlock! This double secret probation shit won't work on us old farts. With every form of respect due put on a decent sound byte sample or you ain't got shit son.

8. The Thruth

as far as i know nobody is offering you OTPG pickups that you must buy, and if want to buy them i am not sure you can find any available set for sale

3 people like this.
  9. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

i held an aged OTPG pickup last week and thought it was an actual 50s PAF for the first two minutes. :D

2 people like this.
  10. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

11. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I bought that set off Brian, They sound much better than that demo.... not really a fan of the tone on those vids either but I have 3 sets and they are all very good. 2 of the 6 are unreal sounding and they all look way to real. In fact I'm sure more than the odd one has been sold as real PAF's!

1 person likes this.
  12. HopelessRomantics

HopelessRomantics Senior Member

13. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

14. snaredrum

snaredrum V.I.P. Member

honestly, there are winders on this forum that will wind you a pickup as good (or nearly as good if you're pre-loaded with "i need some OTPGs") for like, under 1/3 of that.

15. BrazenPicker

BrazenPicker Senior Member

Well, honestly, I've played probably about 20 different boutique sets (including multiple from the same winder) and the OTPGs had a magic I didn't hear in the others. That doesn't mean I didn't like the other winders' products or that they didn't have their own unique thing that I really liked, but I was really blown away with the OTPGs. In fact, the "discovery" that there was something else out there was what made me go out an buy a pair of early patent numbers (Dave Stephens authenticated them), and I like the tonality of the OTPGs (that belong to a friend) better. I used to think a lot of this was hype too, but now I've heard them and want a set, alongside a few others that I also like for different things.

16. HopelessRomantics

It seems real to me :laugh2:
    just look at the angle of the pickup covers...it was just like the shared picture OTPG covers in this forum. well, I'm just assuming..not necessarily correct.
    but the OTPG on fleebay seems to be potted a bit

17. jamman

jamman Premium Member

From what I know about OTPG pups , those are not his . Some things i see in those pics on Ebay are not correct, compared to what I have see on every OTPG pups . :hmm:

18. HopelessRomantics

19. The Thruth

2 people like this.
  20. HopelessRomantics

hope this can help~ :thumb: