"Over The Pond Guy" PAFs

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by Liam, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

A pair of "Over The Pond Guy" PAFs arrived for me to try this week thanks to a most excellent forum member. Not had a chance to put them in a guitar yet, but had a quick peek, and they look like PAFs. And by that I mean they really do look like PAFs.

No joking, the materials, construction and finish make me wonder if someone isn't playing a cruel joke by sending me a pair of real ones to try out.

I'm going to pop a couple of screws out and check the bobbin colours (or color for some spellings) like we do with the real ones just in case.

Hopefully let you all know if I like the sound next week. I won't be posting sound clips as they all sound pretty similar to me through youtube/MP3. You have to be there...

El Kabong, RAG7890, JMV and 11 others like this.
  2. Nugget

Nugget V.I.P. Member V.I.P. Member

Looking forward to reading your assessment. Would like to see some pictures too as OTPG PAFs are quite a rarity.

3. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

Excuse the small Hi-Jack Liam.The Wife took delivery of a set of Over The Pond Guy PAF`s for me this week.Trouble is ,i can`t get to play them for a long time yet,they`re in the UK,and i`m in Afghanistan :rolleyes:.Ah well,it`s something to look forward to.I`ll leave the pictures to you.But the Wife sent me a couple,here`s one,just as a little Taster.:applause:

[​IMG]

4. ledfree

ledfree Senior Member

Never heard "Over The Pond Guy" pickups. Done some seaching on this forum and Google with no joy! Any one got a link?

5. Fixxxer

Fixxxer V.I.P. Member

what pond is this guy over?:hmm:

6. RMC1

RMC1 Senior Member

There`s no point Googling (that has to be spelt wrong!),you won`t find anything,except maybe a link to MLP,where they get mentioned.Those in the know,know that they are legendary.

7. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

The atlantic ocean.

8. 5F6-A

5F6-A Senior Member

yes.. but which side?? east or west??

9. jonesy

jonesy GLOBAL WIRING GURU MLP Vendor

Ask the Clown he knows him...

10. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

As requested by Nugget, a couple of (not great) photos of the pickups. Not aged as much as RMC1s, but still very cute...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Over the Pond Guy lives this side of the Pond.

11. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

Anyone interested in more info on OTP , Please either PM me or Email me at bobbovisme@aol.com !!!

[​IMG]

12. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

this R0 was raped of its zebras a few weeks ago... could use a DW neck and Zebra bridge...

[​IMG]

13. kluson

kluson Senior Member

that is a gorgeous looking guitar, i always fancied an R0 and that's a beauty:)

14. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

those pickups look great. Covers look really good.

15. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

The OTP covers are identical to PAF covers in every way !!! I heard DMC copied his !!! :wow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Had an afternoon of messing about with pickups. Started out just playing my R9 Hysteric with it's current Amalfitanos, and also had a play with my 50s Junior (The Old Lady) through the same amp on the same settings. Just so I had some sort of gauge of pickup output, and to act as some sort of tone reference. I used my old Princeton Reverb throughout.

Next job, whipped out the Amafitanos and installed "Over the Pond Guy" humbuckers. They certainly look the part...

[​IMG]

Like decoy205 says the covers are particularly impressive.

Plugged in and the first thing that's obvious is that they are microphonic. Not massively, just the right amount for me. I find a lot of pickups are potted so well that they are microphonically silent, which makes them sound a bit sterile somehow. Second thing I notice is that they have an "open-ness" to the tone that you just don't get with a lot of humbuckers. It's something they share with the Amalfitanos, but they possibly don't have quite as much. Could be to do with the low turns count on the Amalfitanos, mearuring in at 7.7K and 7.4K compared with 7.95K and 7.56K for the OTPGs. Note that the Amalfitanos make no attempt to look real from underneath - however the construction is a really good attempt at capturing a great PAF tone.

[​IMG]

At this point I did a little AB test between the R9 and The Old Lady just to see if I could get the same bite out of the OTPG PAFS. Surprisingly close, but not much touches a good P90 for bite and agression, and of course that "open-ness" that I was talking about.

[​IMG]

So I'm thinking, OTPGs are nice, I prefer them to the Amalfitanos, they have a little more midrange honk, a bit more output, but maybe don't have quite the sparkle, hard to say. I needed another comparison, and then thought, how about some 57 Classics, I always liked them, and I've got an old Standard with a pair in it.

[​IMG]

Swapping between the two guitars I realise just how good the OTPG pickups are. I'm not knocking the Classics, the first thing I thought when I plugged the Black Standard in was that I'd forgotten what a great sounding guitar it is. But playing phrases with drone strings ringing over bent notes, the top E retains bell like clarity with the OTPGs, something the Classics just can't do. The bridge pickup has warmth as well as bite, the neck pickup isn't in the slightest muddy (worst thing about Classics), but has the deep vocal moan that you get from a good Lester when playing around the 12th fret on the D and G strings.

I had done a similar exercise when I got the Amalfitanos, and had loved them, but it took me a long time to get used to the top end sparkle. In fact I had to lightly wax pot them to get them under control when cranked. The OTPGs lie somewhere between the two, probably closer to the Amafitanos than the Classics. It would be interesting to pop the covers off the OTPGs and see just how much closer the tones got.

Swapped between guitars for a bit longer, and found myself just wanting to play the Hysteric more and more, wanting to find more noises that I could make it do (Led Zep, The Rover. Don't know why, but that riff was made for these pickups!) Half an hour passed like 2 minutes and I realised I'm really going to struggle to give these pickups back.

So in summary - disturbingly realistic looking, tone is very difficult to fault, definitely have the "magic" factor that only a few of the boutique pickups seem to achieve, substantially cheaper than real PAfs (now that's an experiment I'd enjoy), almost impossibe to get, and evidently quite long lead times on ordering them.

I was loaned these to try out. I'm buying a pair...

Many, many thanks for the loan, mate. (I'll not identify the forum member in case you all want to borrow them!) Are you sure you need them back? :naughty:

Liam

missio likes this.
  17. decoy205

decoy205 Senior Member

Great tone report Liam! That was really informative.

18. BOBBO

BOBBO Banned

19. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

As a follow up to this, just ordered a pair of Zebra "Over the Pond Guy" PAFs, but with "double black" tonal qualities. I really can't wait...

Liam

20. River

River Senior Member

Guy?