Out Of The Stone Age At Last!!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Digger, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Digger

Digger Dingo Lover! V.I.P. Member

I went to put my mobile phone on charge in the kitchen yesterday and looked to find 4 bars of signal?? We haven't had acceptable mobile coverage here in all the time we've had the land which is over 30 years....one of the down sides to living in paradise I suppose! Lucky to get texts in and out and only then if the phone was in the front window. Last year our internet was bought into the current decade when a wireless tower was installed within sight of our property and we now have good internet.

I've been lobbying a succession of communication ministers to get an improvement in mobile phone coverage to cover a 10 kilometre section of highway where there was virtually no mobile access. At times that road carries a lot of traffic as it goes up the east coast and into the snow fields and I've been concerned about accidents and not having means to call for help. The women in my family have been travelling that road for years and if they break down at night have been very vulnerable and so I wanted it fixed.

A break through came when I wrote to our current PM who was previously the communications minister, when he agreed to put us onto a black spot funding program scheduled for completion in 2018. Our local federal minister for this region supported my case and he helped a lot. Once the internet tower was completed I started another round of lobbying suggesting that the black spot site for mobiles could be completed for a fraction of the cost if they sited it on the wireless internet tower which covers the section of road that has been concerning me. This would be a cheaper approach than a stand alone phone cell and that money might connect another black spot that maybe wasn't due for imminent connection?

The local member wrote back saying it was good idea and that he would carry it forward for me.

Last week there were works occurring at the internet tower and I wondered what was going on, but yesterday I found out when I realised we had "in town" signal strength!! Bloody ripper! We now will feel much more secure knowing that if the landline goes down we will have means of contact still available. Now I'm here on my own a lot and in bush fire season feel vulnerable, so having my phone on me around the property I will receive emergency bulletins if a fire is coming. We can even consider ditching the expensive landline if we want to! So now I've got 3 bars in the toilet, 4 bars in my shed and expect there will be coverage right across the property.

See! We're not at all backward here in the sticks~

2. Howard2k

Howard2k Premium Member

Very cool! Nice to see positive action like that. That stuff isn't cheap to install!

Digger likes this.
  3. Digger

It's been a battle over the years part of the problem being that I live in a small rural hamlet which hasn't a lot of residents, meaning not many voters. It's also a safe electoral seat and you get much more attention if you are in a marginal. Funding had been set aside, the trick was to get them to do it earlier than was scheduled.

Anyway I'm very happy with the result now thanks Howard.

4. thatF-INGflyingVguy

thatF-INGflyingVguy Senior Member

Good Work !!!

Digger likes this.
  5. thatF-INGflyingVguy

and here I figured you bought a hammer instead of just tying rocks to sticks :laugh2:

Digger likes this.
  6. Digger

I don't get it?

How do you make a hammer otherwise?

thatF-INGflyingVguy likes this.
  7. thatF-INGflyingVguy

8. staffy

staffy Senior Member

You can buy hammers?????