OTPG's on ebay

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by tuco, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

Ha Ha, thing is OTPG probably knows many of them, and I'm not kidding :applause:

2. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Which bit? The materials selection? The bobbin design, tooling and moulding? The base plate blanking, punching and bending? The poles threads being rolled? The slugs being turned? Or just general winding and assembly? That's before we get near his amazing covers. Shape is right, materials are right, plating is right.

There's an awful lot in this pickup making business, and most choose to go with off-the-shelf components for the greater part of the job, and to get the sound how they want it. I don't think anyone has got into how PAF Humbuckers were made in the same depth as OTPG before or since he started, and nothing about the pickups is off-the-shelf unless he was involved before the shelf existed.

There are quite few pickup makers that carry a load of OTPG knowledge, and many of them are producing great sounding pickups. I think they'd mainly agree that they've learnt how to do it by doing it, and by talking to others that have had deep involvement. To think a youtube video is going to capture that knowledge is delusional.

Liam

2 people like this.
  3. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown Senior Member

Does he make all the parts himself????!!!
    Wow, that is seriously dedicated work.

4. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Is pickup making an art or a science? If the knowledge resides inside the head of a single man on this planet, and cannot be passed onto any other man or woman, then what we have here is a case of wizardry, bordering on unobtainium and the irreproducible. When OTPG dies, are you saying that his knowledge dies with him, and his accomplishment can never be surpassed by any other human? That would be very unfortunate and counterproductive.

5. cooljuk

cooljuk Transducer Producer Premium Member MLP Vendor

Yes, I suspect there may be wizardry involved. :naughty: :D I believe OTPG has shared knowledge with some other winders, actually.

PS - I've found pickup making to be very much BOTH an art AND a science. No doubt about it in my opinion.

6. peach64

peach64 Senior Member

Now that this set just sold on Ebay, how long before another set is listed again?

7. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Not for the humbuckers. However he did all the research, found people that could make the parts that he couldn't, identified all the materials that were used, found people that could make bobbin moulds and do the moulding, and so it went on...

And it's not like the process is ever complete for him, he is always soaking up new knowledge and figuring out more.

I said it can't be passed on through a few minutes of youtube video. I didn't say it can't be passed on. It's not wizardry, it's carefully researched science and deft practical skills. The knowledge won't all die with him, because the places he got it from mostly still exist, and because there are a load of people that he has already shared that knowledge with. Do they want to make youtube videos so that a load of internet enthusiasts can tell them they're wrong? I know I wouldn't.

He wouldn't for a minute claim to be the only person that knows how to do all this stuff, and he has immense respect for other winders. I get the feeling Seymour Duncan was a bit of an idol for him when he was a lot younger, and I know they communicated in writing before the internet was in general use.

Finally, he still helps people out that are just getting into the pickup making business. However it's never a case of giving them some recipe for the perfect PAF. He encourages people to go their own way, and find their own way of making what they want a great pickup to sound like. There are quite a few on this forum that have been helped in this way, not just pickup makers, and not just in the UK.

As I said before, it hasn't made me feel like selling any of my sets.

Liam

8. peach64

peach64 Senior Member

Hi Liam,

everything you stated here is why I want to buy those pickups. He seems to be a humble man, with no airs about him. And he helps other winders out by offering his experience and encouragement. The more you GIVE, the more you DESERVE with a generous attitute.

The next time I won't be outbid!

Peach

9. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

When did it become yours?
    "All i want..."

I doubt it is yours to demand an explanation, one way or another.

10. AngryHatter

AngryHatter Senior Member

My Fenders are THE PAFs of choice.

11. wolla

wolla Junior Member

This OTPG discussions remind me on a fairy tale called the emperor's new clothes (Andersen).
    The final ebay price does not show the real market price for the otpgs.
    1. It was not an open auction - it is very easy to bump up the prices. That is a common way to do so in auctions e.g. for paintings.
    2. Now every holder of OTPGs feels being rich. All want now to sell in future for that high price.
    3. More people try to buy the cheaper pickups direct from OTPG to make profit.
    4. More people will believe in spiritual healer OTPG.
    This all makes it to a classical bubble.
    OTPGs worth is beeing a 100 % clone of pafs.
    If the price will be to high you should go for the real ones- or would you buy a copy chinese ferrari for just the the same price like the real one.
    When it becomes an own brand - it will remain as a niche product.
    How many of the forum own a lot of navigators instead of gibsons?

Just for slashers: I own OTPG, Shed, sheptones, wizz, throbak, klopmanns,
    barfuss, dommenget,amber,j.m.rolph,dryz etc.
    Gibson: real pafs 1959, 1961, pat.no 1962, 1964, T-buckers 1965, Tim shaw etc.

12. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

Well, how do you feel about them? How do they compare to the other ''booteek'' pickups that you own and how do they compare to the ''real thing''?

So far, I also tend to think that ''the King is naked'' as well, but my opinion means jack shit, so...:)

1 person likes this.
  13. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

How do those etc. sound? :cool:

14. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

Art is the implementation of science.

15. wolla

wolla Junior Member

I just got a special Gibson used by dealers. That is a Les Paul to change pickups in seconds. That means I have different slide in units for the pickups. So I will then compare the pickups sounding in that one LP.
    Used amps will be 1. Blackstar artisan 2. Vox AC 30 orig. 3. Fender Super Reverb blackface 4. Dumble clone
    Then we will see and hear the differences.

1 person likes this.
  16. rykus

rykus Senior Member

I also own quite a few vintage and boutique PU's.... I think that Rolph and Stephens come as close as OTPG, and honestly sound more like the PAF's and PAT# I have owned.
    That being said I love the OTPG's I own and think that they probably sound like a really great set of PAF's as well, Just not the ones I own!

Really no point in bitching though, if u want to try em buck up! I bet you won't sell but if you do I also doubt you'd loose much $ wise.

I think that from what I've heard OTPG has been more generous with his knowledge than almost any other winder, and doesn't want to make a living winding PU's so has no vested interest in holding back knowledge!

from what I know both Shed and BKP's have worked with him.

17. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

A few of us have been through a lot of pickup testing. It's not emporers new clothes, they're really good. I'm not saying the OTPG is a mystical healer, he's a really nice bloke that happens to know a fair bit more about old instruments than anyone else I've ever met or spoken to.

But whether the pickups are to everyones taste is another question. Much like a good vintage P90, the sound is on the raw side. I like it, but I wouldn't expect everyone to like it.

I'm actually doing very little pickup experimentation nowadays, but my messing around told me that '57 Classics and SD '59s are really under-rated. I also learnt that I generally prefer P90s to PAF Humbuckers. Which is good because they're loads cheaper.

Liam

18. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

I don't know who is more mysterious, Greta Garbo, Howard Hughes or OTPG? What is wrong with videotaping the man for several hours making a pickup? Everything we know about him is from second hand sources. It is about time we got the truth first hand. 60 Minutes has interviewed some of the most elusive men in the world. I can learn more in 15 minutes of a master speaking than all the repeated hearsay on the internet. Any other pickup maker (part time or full time) is 1000 times more accessible than OTPG, yet we seem to ignore these other men and their work. Why? Maybe it is the human condition to become fascinated with the arcane, never to be satisfied. The more shrouded in mystery, the more curious we become. Just imagine what will happen when a famous tier one guitarist records with an OTPG pickup. The hunt for pond guy will turn him into a worldwide celebrity. He may as well come out of the closet now, when he can control how he is presented to the world. Or maybe he is a hoax, a creation of our colleagues on the British isles?

19. Hector Arcadius

Hector Arcadius Senior Member

I don't want to turn this thread into a flame war and, deep down, since I'm not remotelly interested in ever acquiring a pair of pickups from the OTPG, you can easily say that it's not my business. and it's not. But then, since we do all share the same forum there are a few things that bug me with the whole story.

First of all, while everybody claims that OTPG has no interest in making a fortune out of pickup-winding, the fact that someone is making big money from his work is pretty clear. I have no idea who this somebody is. Close friends of him, relatives, enthusiasts of his work, I don't know and I don't care. But, while at the same time they value his work so damn much and find it very hard to part with a set, somehow they put up e-bay auctions and get the loot. I guess when the money is right...

I have yet to hear a demonstration of these pickups, in comparison with the work of other winders on the planet, bearing one single proof or indication that these pickups can justify the high prices they fetch. Not one. Did I miss a thread or something?

And finally, there is a pickup shoot-out in the Pickups Forum (made already a ''sticky'') where OTPG PAFs are among the 17 sets that are show-cased. After 5 pages of thread I still did not see a reply from one of the OTPG enthusiasts even estimating which set of the 17 the OTPG's are. Well, if you claim that they are that good and you say that you trust your ears...

To sum it up, I think that we have seen this story before. Those dealing even slightly with pedals must have heard / read the elusive Klon story. For me, it's the same old song and dance, all over again.

Your money is your money folks, not mine. Do as you see fit with them. I guess I cannot keep my mouth shut when I get the feeling that I get the wool over my eyes pulled. YMMV.

Rant over. Thanks for your time. :cool:

20. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Maybe he doesn't want to be videotaped making a pickup?

No you can't. Don't be silly. How many pickups have you wound up to now? If it's not a load, you'll probably learn as much as you would watching a wheelmaker making wooden wheels.

No we don't. We speak to them too.

I'm guessing actinic isn't your real name. He has the same right to privacy as you have.

I already said, I have never sold a set, but I gave a set away.

They in no way justify the high prices they fetch. But people still buy them. Bobbo sold them for $600 a set, which wasn't outrageous, but he was making a bit on it. Since then they haven't been available to buy except for used sets, which people seem to be willing to pay a lot for.

I trust my ears, but unfortunately there's quite a lot of machinery between the pickups making a signal, and that signal getting to my ears. I really can't cope with MP3 compression when listening to clips, and I'd be lucky to tell a Les Paul from a Telecaster with many of them.

I like pedals too. I must say I think the Klon Centaur is a great sounding pedal, as are many of the clones. Wouldn't go to a gig without one nowadays, has all but taken over from the TS as my favourite OD.

Liam

1 person likes this.