OTPG's on ebay

Discussion in 'eBay Deals' started by tuco, Mar 14, 2012.

1. 59gibson

59gibson Senior Member

That has been my experience with just once exception. I've been through manys many PAF clones and the ones that sounded closest to my ideal PAF tone always had A-4 mags.:dude:

The one exceoption was a short mag original PAF that Jon at Throbak rewound for me, He suggested his short A-5 magnet to replace its' original
    mag. I took his advice and that pup just sounds unreal.:)

2 people like this.
  2. Pukiman

Pukiman Member

Ive never held or played OTPG ..what Ive seen on youtube tells me OTPG means
    "OVER THE PRICED GUY".

I dont care if it replicates the look of original PAF,this seems to be an important issue for guys who owns Relica's (I like think of as Forgery..imho)for me if a pick-up sounds good then its good enough for me no matter what it looks like or who makes them..gosh wouldn't it be a boring world if we all look and sound the same? :hyper:

3. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Senior Member

No body knows who they are made, only Throbak pickups are known to use the same machines use for the vintage PAF's and replicate down to the mm every detail.

4. yeti

yeti Senior Member

To me the only legitimate reason to buy a 99% correct replica is if I need to replace a missing original in an original guitar.

5. Nigel Tufnel's tech

Nigel Tufnel's tech Senior Member

That is what OTPG pickups were intended for, and not a production line product. I wish people would stop bitching about the price, he didn't set them at that amount, the demand for them makes people pay what they want to pay, OTPG can't dictate second hand prices.

14 people like this.
  6. Fiftywattmafia

Fiftywattmafia Senior Member

All due respect...what you heard on youtube? If your forumlating your opinion based on that alone....

Furthermore, I think you are seeing the $$ so high because the bidders DON'T want to sound like everyone else. Granted it is very debatable if OTPG's will accomplish this for anyone...people find many ways to chase the dream.

Prolly better off buying a songbook and spending time with that...

That being said...I LOVE buying boutique pickups...but OTPG too steep for me

1 person likes this.
  7. jamman

jamman Premium Member

Well ,if it was just about looks ., They wouldn't be the price that they are. and what makes you think they all sound the same . Similar to real PAF's no 2 are quite alike , but have some similar underlying quality's (think tone) that are the same .

And yes I own some , and not at the price ,like the auction right now .People pay those prices because they feel it's worth it, and they are that good.

Well Nico that's not really true. People know his name and know who he is ,but choose not to use it,. Out of respect for his wishes, among other things.
    ThroBak's are fine pickups, and yes i have a set . But doesn't S Duncan also use that Winder to make Ants ? IIRC they do . In fact i recall seeing a video from SD and they said they have the Original machine that Gibson used . IIRC they said Gibson sold it to SD .

1 person likes this.
  8. Fletch

Fletch V.I.P. Member

I'm on the list for a set too. No money was sent or requested, and the deal was no pressure... when they are done they are done. I have contacted Brian once or twice (although not lately) with a friendly and gentle reminder that I'm ready to go cash-in-hand when pickups are done. I've always had a great response from him on that approach. If I never get OTPGs from Brian then that's okay too...

Based on the terms of my getting on that list for a set, I think Nico is way out of line with his constant complaining about it and possibly (probably) causing everybody else who agreed to a great price for extreme patience to get a set to be in jeopardy of ever taking delivery as well.

fletch

9. nicolasrivera

I was seeking a answer to where Brian has gone, I had him on constant reminders and then the no longer visited he forum, for a long time, but now I know he is dealing with serious personal matters and I totally understand that.

My true intention to get a set is to try it against other sets that I have been acquiring, my initial enthusiasm has been put at ease thanks first for owning sets from WIZZ and Throbaks, both amazing PAF's, and then by true PAF experts that told me OTPG are not close replicas in to the truE sound of a vintage one.

Yet I still what to try them my self, and as those that truly know Brian, he is a man of his word and when ready he will come thru with our initial agreement.

10. Dr. Brown

Dr. Brown Senior Member

Man, the way you've conducted yourself here in this thread if I was Brian I would wash my hands of you. I hope that he doesn't do that though.
    Seriously Nico, I know you are a passionate man but really you should step away from the keyboard sometimes and think for a few mins about what you are going to write and how it may come across to others keeping in mind that tone of voice and body language cannot be taken into account over the internet.
    This is not a personal attack, it's just an observation so please don't wade in calling me names etc.

1 person likes this.
  11. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

12. nicolasrivera

Well i get it, but you need to put your self in my shoes for a moment and understand what this ebay sale initially made me feel, now its all good and i hope Brian solves his family issues successfully.

13. Mike60

Mike60 V.I.P. Member

1 person likes this.
  14. jamman

jamman Premium Member

They are more difficult to get than Real PAF's . And although they are not real PAF's, they are really the next best thing ,imo . I believe that because things have changed over time (Mfg. tech.) the real PAF will never be reproduced 100% .

It's the complete package of what they are made from (PAF's), that makes them what they are . Like the total of the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts, or something like that. The OTPG pickups are about as good as you can get, shy of Buying real PAF's.
    When I played them comparing them (OTPG) to the rest of my pups it was a clear difference how much better they are . And when i compared them to the Early Pat,#'s that I have ,Imo, the difference was easy to hear . Imo, theEarly Pat. #'s were better . :shock: Problem being that even Early Pat. #'s are about double the cost as OTPG pups now . Pick your poison :wow::lol:

15. BillB1960

BillB1960 Senior Member

16. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Let us say that the OTPG pickups on ebay sell for $1400/pair. The last single OTPG (or purported OTPG) pickup sold for $700. The Gibson early patent sticker pickups sell for $2300/pair and you can probably cut a deal for the pair, so the out of pocket cost is $2100/pr. For a measly $600 - $700 difference why would anyone in his right mind buy OTPG? If I were restoring a '68 Gibson Les Paul GT or a mid-50's GT that was re-routed for humbuckers, why not put in the best pickup that will help the guitar retain value, and hopefully increase in value? To me, that pickup has to be a Gibson. Joe Ganzler unloaded his pair of OTPGs. Why? Because they were not irreplaceable, and not the sine qua non of available pickups.

If, on the other hand, the guitar is a Gibson historic made in the last 16 years, I'd still think twice about an OTPG vs. the usual gang of suspects. Because OTPG (at auction prices) costs twice as much as the competition.

17. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Banned

As much as I hate to say this, being that I am in the business. If what Jamman says is true (and he HAS had many to listen to lately) if costing twice as much gets you that much closer to the real deal, it is worth it if you can afford it. It is about tone. There really is no other reason to change pickups other than to improve the tone.

(unless you just like to tinker for the hell of it)

But I do agree, if you are going to pay that much, what is another $700-$1200 to get early Pat Nos or even late PAFs. Once you go so far, why not go all the way? $10,000 for 1959 double whites!

The OTPG pickups are rare. That is one big factor. If you can wait for them, they are VERY reasonably priced.

I got flak for critisizing that someone would pay almost $100K for tennis shoes in the backstage:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160744195892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

You could buy an almost MINT 1958 Goldtop for that!

18. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

I underestimated the closing price of the auction. It ended at 1020 GBP, or $1616.09. There is a pent-up demand for these pickups, it is the stuff of modern legends. I am glad that the Pond Guy has consented to making more of his special pickups. His greatest service to the community would be to pass on his knowledge to some other winders, so they could "share" the wealth. Not that PG benefited monetarily from this auction, but he could increase the price to $800/pr and still have a huge order backlog. Ebay auctions lead to resentment by buyers, in much the same way that second hand Klon Centaurs drive people crazy. Eventually, you either bite the bullet, or just fester in not being fulfilled. Which member could not take it anymore, and had to buy the OTPG's on Ebay? :hmm:

19. Liam

Liam V.I.P. Member

Can't believe I missed this thread... The OTP guy has shared a lot of wealth with other pickup winders - in fact I'd bet he's shared quite a bit more than he has earnt himself. There are several pickup businesses that owe much of their PAF knowledge to the OTP guy. His service to the community goes far beyond that, and has included a lot of authentication work, sharing a vast knowledge of how vintage guitars were manufactured and assembled. I, amongst others, consult him regularly when I come across something that doesn't make sense in guitar history. His depth of knowledge is unparalleled, and I am frequently amazed by his intelligence and resourcefulness whilst retaining total humility.

He has no interest in getting rich by winding pickups. They get made when they get made, and there's always a backlog.

I think I do. I've had 6 sets of OTPG for various guitars, 4 of them being Humbuckers. I couldn't sell any of them for the sort of money the set in the auction went for. One day if I'm really broke, I might consider selling a set, but I've got a vintage guitar or 2 that I'd find it easier to part with.

But here's the weird thing. When a very dear friend got to the age of 40, I parted with an unused set that I had on the shelf. Me and another good mate went halves on the cost of them, because although I couldn't face the idea of selling them, giving them away felt pretty good, especially when I knew what beautiful music they were going to make.

Weird thing, OTPG pickups. They seem to thrive on general goodness. I've said before that they turn up for people that really need them. Nic, you need to think about the kind of person Brian is. If pickups that were ordered for others had turned up, would Brian get a shop to sell them for him for a bigger profit? You need to think carefully about what you would do in Brian's position, because you judged him by a pretty low standard. I can assure you that it's not the way he rolls.

Liam

6 people like this.
  20. Actinic

Actinic Senior Member

Next time the Pond Guy is ready to build a pickup, could one of you MLP'ers in the UK videotape the process, and post it on Youtube? Like world hunger, there are more guitars to feed than hands to make the pickups. Imagine what the world would be like if Antonio Stradavari's secrets were documented by historians?