Orville Gibson Japan or Edwards E-LP92

Discussion in 'Other Single-Cuts' started by Damiendunky, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Damiendunky

Damiendunky Junior Member

Hello again, sorry for all the questions but feel if anyone has the answers they'll be here :) anyway, which looks like the best deal, and what should be my best offer on either? Thanks.
    https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/red...on-japan-les-paul-custom-will-post/1141597208

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/cal...ell-edwards-e-lp92-les-paul-custom/1152848064 He thinks this is a 2013 model.

The Edwards is a 5 hr drive away so i can try it out but the Orville is toooo faraway to try but will post.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. jimmyjames

jimmyjames Senior Member

Orville's gone, I woulda backed that one

3. dmoss74

dmoss74 Senior Member

i have the e-lp98 in black, and can vouch for how nice those guitars are. i did swap out the duncans for some other pickups, though. i forgot which versions came stock, but they were duds. you said you can drive (albeit a bit of a journey) to play it. i'd say go for it. if it's fairly well setup, and there are no major problems, you just might enjoy the heck out of that guitar, as i do mine.

the ad doesn't specify if it's one of the lacquer finished models. mine is the "lacquer touch", which in essence is a coat of lacquer over a poly (or other) color coat.

the nice thing about the edwards is how they have real ebony boards. sure, the inlays aren't the best, but the ebony makes up for that in spades.

the seller seems to be open to offers, too. i'm wondering why there are no pics of the back. it might have some rash/dings. contact him/her and see if you can get more details on the condition.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

5. NJDevil

NJDevil Senior Member

I have an Edwards LP-92 goldtop with 500k pots and Lollar P90s. I love that guitar and bought it 3 years ago for $750 mint condition. An Edwards with an ebony fretboard is killer and I would jump all over that. It would be nice if the condition is mint but I think the $700 price is a bargain compared to the quality of the instrument.

6. tosh78

tosh78 Senior Member

I have both: an Orville and an Edwards. Both are great, but my Edwards is a bit heavier than the Orville. So, if it was well made (some Orville are made a bit different as they were made in different plants) I would have backed the Orville.
    Since it's gone, the Edwards is a really nice alternative and I really like them too. Ask about the weight and if you don't mind driving 5 hours to try it, go and feel it for yourself.
    Alternatively, I can sell you mine which is in NZ but it's not a custom :)