Original 1960 Les Paul Burst 85k obo

Discussion in 'Member Classifieds' started by tvmalsv, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

**** this Im going to Canada

4 people like this.
  2. croaker

croaker Member

You being a student would only be on the hook for about 18% or whatever your tax rate is so (85k - standard deductable) * .18 (or whatever) , still would be a sizable amt but you could set up a payment plan with the IRS and pay it over time to avoid having to sell the guitar.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kenny Davidoff

Kenny Davidoff Senior Member

Better be smart about the area as sales tax rates vary from 5 to nearly 15% depending on the province.

I don't know of too many (or any) Americans denouncing their US citizenship and moving to Canada in an effort to escape taxation.

4. tvmalsv

tvmalsv Premium Member

Damn this really sucks, I really do not want any lawsuits, or legal hassles with a raffle. It should not be this difficult, just trying to do a cool thing and the red tape and government rules get in the way. Think I will list it on the Bay and hope it sells. Thank you to everyone for your support. Maybe we can still figure this out.

2 people like this.
  5. KS 5150

KS 5150 Senior Member

One difference between Canada & the US is that items won (lottery, etc and possibly raffles) are tax-free....oh and not as many guns.....:wave:

3 people like this.
  6. Funkadelic

Funkadelic Senior Member

You will have to pay taxes anyway, no matter how you collect (raffle or not). You either keep it cash, or you're gonna have to kick money up to Uncle Sam. 85k is a lot of money, the amounts we usually deal with in the classifieds are peanuts compared to that.

You should go with the raffle anyway. Seriously.

7. DADGAD

DADGAD Senior Member

how about the$150 for being for the ticket only. The "winning" ticket is traded straight up for an opportunity to provide him a service. (not that kind you dirty mongrels) You are really raffling a ticket which in turn is traded for services. You go mow his lawn and then that service is bartered by him giving you a burst.

it can be called, "Mow the burst man's lawn" contest.

4 people like this.
  8. tvmalsv

tvmalsv Premium Member

The taxes are not the issue, I will be taking a loss on the guitar. It is more the hiring of attorney to get a raffle permit in this state, and any potential non winners threatening a lawsuit.

9. Greco

Greco Senior Member

Wait run this shit by me again. So in America, if you don't win the lottery/bet/raffle you can file a lawsuit? Wtf?

10. Funkadelic

Funkadelic Senior Member

No, I think what he means is that envious members could sue him for actually having a raffle going on, in a desperate action after not winning the burst themselves.

I don't think that's going to happen. However, there are ways around this. Here you can see it a lot with ticket resales (illegal), so the deal is "I'll sell you a BIC pen for 200$ and will give away a Mark Knopfler concert ticket, for free". See the idea ;)

TBH, I think there are countless ways around the issue.

11. Shadowplayer

Shadowplayer Senior Member

but its open to everyone here who pays right?

And with what the last few people are saying, I like the idea of the guitar being second to the fact. Not the thing that you win but it comes "complimentary" if you will with winning

12. chriseskew24

chriseskew24 Senior Member

Id take 2 tickets

13. Matt_21

Matt_21 Senior Member

As cool as this idea is, I agree it's going to be waaay to complicated.
    If for instance I won, to import it into Canada I'd have to pay 13% tax on the value. Thats over 10k.
    Good luck selling this OP. and cool idea about the raffle but i think it might just be too complicated.

14. hoss

hoss Senior Member

I won't limit tickets per person. Most users will find middle men who buy tickets for them.

15. zeronalo

zeronalo Senior Member

a great idea shot to shit by people who don't know what they are talking about and if they possibly did, they still don't have all the information.

could have been a great thing.

congrats on having a great guitar and good luck with the sale.

Freddy

P.S. various tax laws would apply depending on the state the winner lives in and the laws of the state where the seller lives. On top of that the feds will want something from the winner, not so sure about the seller but before he listens to anyone here he should ask a (his) accountant.

16. Panhdlce

Panhdlce Junior Member

Don't reinvent the wheel, they have a auctions all the time and have for years now..... AZ Billiards

17. Bluesky

Bluesky Premium Member

Or we explain this to people first , those that can afford $10,000 for a $85,000 guitar will buy tickets. I'd have to sell some stuff, But I could make it happen.

18. Cozmik Cowboy

Cozmik Cowboy Senior Member

$150 = 1:566 shot at a '60? Hmmmmmm. But limit it to 1 ticket per customer, I'd say.

19. d1m1

d1m1 Senior Member

and the winner will be surprisingly a super mod or something :D

1 person likes this.
  20. Schmenge

Schmenge Junior Member

If this gets off the ground, count me very much in. Twice.