Original 1958 Gibson M-69 Cream Pickup Ring - VALUE?

Discussion in 'Vintage Les Pauls' started by blue_skydog71, May 16, 2013.

1. blue_skydog71

blue_skydog71 Junior Member

I am a vintage Gibson collector and I recently acquired an original Cream M-69 Gibson pickup mounting ring from 1958. This is the short ring for a pickup mounted in the Neck position. The ring that I have was removed from a rare 1958 Gibson Ultratone Lap Steel guitar that was equipped with a factory Patent Applied For (PAF) humbucker pickup. The guitar sustained severe damage (beyond repair) and therefore it was parted out. The M-69 ring is in excellent condition, as it was protected under a plastic bridge cover since new. This is probably the cleanest and nicest condition Cream M-69 ring that I have ever seen.

I have done extensive research online to determine the value of this rare Gibson part, but I have come up empty. I cannot find a single original cream M-69 ring for sale. The only information regarding price or value that I have come across was on LesPaulForum.com. There is an old thread discussing a PAIR of original cream M-69 rings being sold for $15,000.00. That figure seems high, but I have nothing else to compare it to.

The cream M-69 ring that I have is for sale, but I have no idea what price to ask for it. I have contacted Gruhn and several other vintage guitar authorities, but I would like a few other perspectives as well.

Does anyone here have any RELIABLE information as to the current market value of this rare Gibson part? Again, this is a Cream M-69 Gibson pickup mounting ring from 1958. Any information that you guys are able to provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. asapmaz

asapmaz Senior Member

If your end goal is to sell the thing, why do you care where it ends up? I have some vintage parts on my replica and I thought my guitar was a great place to "store" vintage parts while getting some enjoyment out of them at the same time. If someone is looking to upgrade their number 1 historic, replica or conversion, you're unnecessarily limiting your market with your expectations. If someone is willing to spend the money to put that part on their favorite reissue, more power to them.
    Regarding the value, I would trust Steve Poole of Vintage Haven of UK to give you a reliable and honest opinion as to what it's worth. He carries every vintage Gibson part.

1 person likes this.
  3. blue_skydog71

You make a valid point. Post edited. I would still like to hear other opinions on the current market value of the ring...

4. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Hey, you asked for perspective.

[​IMG]

I'd love to see this trashed lapsteel. They are pretty hard to destroy.

Left Paw, 61LPSG and Rhye like this.
  5. 58burst

58burst Senior Member

Original cream m69 rings are very rare, you can ask whatever you want, see what the market will bear. I've been looking for a bridge m-69 for my '58 burst for thirty years (it has the original neck ring like yours, but the bridge ring was apparently damaged before I got it, apparently a fairly common occurrence, replaced by a cream m-8). Ten years ago uncle lou was offering pairs of rings for 10k that I looked into- I'd say you could easily get 5k IF you can connect with a motivated buyer, maybe more.

The challenge may be verifying it, there are lots of very good repros out there now (if you have any pics of it on the broken lap steel, or pictures of that it may help), and also offering only one...

Good luck!

6. Alex

Alex Administrator Super Mod Premium Member

I agree with what he said. I got this pair from Uncle Lou.

[​IMG]

7. Brown Recluse

Brown Recluse Senior Member

8. 767400

767400 Senior Member

Nice find!!!!!!

9. Consarnit

Consarnit Senior Member

It's a relatively inconsequential tiny piece of plastic that happens to be really old. Five bucks if the buyer's head is screwed on straight. Probably much more if it isn't. Luckily for you, lots of people don't have their heads screwed on straight.

jwinger, dsess, Skerries1 and 2 others like this.
  10. Lefty Elmo

Lefty Elmo Senior Member

I'd be interested in the ring. Please PM me when you have a price in mind.

11. eric ernest

eric ernest V.I.P. Member

3 people like this.
  12. eric ernest

Now he has re-listed the steel and taken the lies out of the auction.

(BTW. If you look at his feedback you will see he bought all of the parts off ebay to swap out.! You know, the ones he doesn't know how or when they were swapped! LOL!)

Note to self. Do not bid on anything from "63unibody."

1 person likes this.
  13. blue_skydog71

Thanks for all of the replies and information guys. Hard to believe that a little piece of plastic can hold this level of value. Hope I will be able to find a buyer who really needs this part.

Eric, as far as that Ultratone that sold on eBay...that's crazy. Definitely the same kind of lap steel that my M-69 ring came from.

I guess there are more of these out there than I thought??

14. pinefd

pinefd V.I.P. Member Premium Member V.I.P. Member

Hey, blue, so here's my thinking on this (and I know some experts who share this view). I know uncle Lou had a set for sale at $10K for the longest time. I know Alex ended up buying them (see post #6 above), but I don't know what he actually paid for them.

A full set can command quite a bit, although based on the uncle Lou/Alex example above, I'm not sure what the current value is for a set. Also, with regard to a "set", providing they're from the same guitar, you're pretty much guaranteed that the color will match each other...as there are different shades of "cream" that came on the late '50s guitars. When you have "only" one, and if you can find a buyer, it's a crap shoot for the buyer as to whether it will be a match for a taller ring that they may have (if applicable).

Also, because these shorter rings were put on these lapsteel guitars, they are more plentiful than the taller rings, which I believe, were only put on Les Pauls. This would make the value of the shorter ring somewhat less than the taller one.

The other interesting "dilemma" with regard to this ring is the fact that it's in excellent condition. If someone is looking for just a neck ring to match an existing bridge ring, it's likely that their bridge ring is fairly worn from years of exposure to playing and the elements. Sure, there are some LPs in excellent condition where this ring might be a good match condition and color-wise, but a guitar this nice is less likely to need a replacement neck ring.

Frank

15. eric ernest

Sorry Daniel Griffin , if that is your REAL name, but I'm gonna have to out you.

You came here to hawk your pickup ring with a bold face lie, meanwhile you are emailing others privately and lying to them too.

You are the same person who bought the steal on eBay simply to use this forum to flip it.

Here is one of your auction names:

Vintage 1958 Gibson Ultratone Lapsteel Lap Steel Guitar No PAF | eBay

...and here is the other.

Gibson Historic Custom Shop P 90 Soapbar Bridge Pickup Les Paul Custom 55 R5 R4 | eBay

I did screen saves of all your lying ebay auction....unless you disappear real quick, I'm gonna slam all of them on here...your call.

jwinger, b-squared, wulfman and 4 others like this.
  16. tag2

tag2 Senior Member

Ya know, the vintage guitar community isn't really that big in our small world. It is hard to hide miscreant behavior and it is taken seriously.

Thanks Eric!

1 person likes this.
  17. MiniB

MiniB Senior Member

So are you a scammer or aren't you?

18. Jimmi

Jimmi Senior Member

Wondered where you were going with the first few posts. :hmm:

19. Greco

Greco Senior Member

LOL! Good work Eric.

1 person likes this.
  20. Ducati

Ducati V.I.P. Member

Nothing like a little dealer on dealer crime for my forum entertainment value :dude: