Ordered a little 59 for my 2014 American Strat

Discussion in 'Fender' started by Leumas, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

I just cant take it anymore. I love the feel of my American strat, I love some of the sounds it makes in the neck and mid position, but I've spent two years not picking it up because when I need it it doesn't have that little extra, so I'm trying the SD single sized humbucker. It was between the 59 and the bonamassa model, but the 59 seemed more versatile.

After I put p90s in the mexi-strat it sounded like I always wanted it to, so I'm hoping with this I can hit a really diverse range of usable sounds and still be stratty when I want to be. I'll report back when I've installed and had a chance to give it the right there Fred.

Anybody else done this here?

Benjammin likes this.
  2. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

:thumb: I use Hot Noiseless (stacked HBs) in all positions in my strat, for me its the best of both worlds. Hooking up the bridge pickup to a tone control goes a long way too (if yours isn't already wired that way)

Leumas likes this.
  3. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

I undid the bridge tone on this one because I like being able to have the tone rolled off the middle and full blast from the bridge in position 2. I might have to reassign it.

4. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

ah, that is a sweet setting (all the better with the bridge HB), you'll probably be happy. I've read a few accounts from people who didn't like strats, then tried one with the bridge on a tone control, and that changed everything. Single sized HBs and master tone controls can go along way in the versatility dept

steveb63 and Leumas like this.
  5. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

I use Hot Noiseless in the neck & middle positions, and a JB Jr. at the bridge.
    The bottom tone control for the bridge, the first tone control for the neck & middle.

6. dsmcl77

dsmcl77 Senior Member

Yep!
    SD little '59 in bridge, DM Area 58 middle and Area 67 neck. I love it.

7. gball

gball Senior Member

Good call. I am inching closer to getting the same pickup for my G&L Legacy.

8. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Are you talking about the "Jeff Beck Hot Noiseless" pickups or is there another "Hot Noiseless" pickups I'm not aware of?

You mentioned "stacked humbuckers".

9. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

yes, there is only one "Hot Noiseless" set, and yes, they are stacked coil humbuckers

10. scozz

scozz Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

I guess I knew they are "stacked coil pickups" because they're so thick/deep. I just never heard anyone refer to them as "stacked humbuckers". That's why I thought maybe you were talking about something different than the Jeff Beck pickups.

I've got them in a loaded pickguard in my Strat and I love them too! I've also got the bottom tone control wired to the bridge pickup. What a difference this makes, It makes the bridge pickup much more usable now. I hardly ever used the bridge on my Strat before because it was way to trebley, now I can dial in a much better tone by taming the treble some...or a lot if I prefer.

I highly recommend these pickups, (JB Hot Noiseless) they sound great! They retain all the characteristics and tone of regular Strat single coils minus the hum...and they look great too!

[​IMG]

Benjammin and winexprt like this.
  11. Leumas

Leumas Senior Member

Hey! This thread was brought back just in time! I wired in the little 59 last weekend and I absolutely love it. It's got the humbucker response that I was looking for, while retaining just enough strat personality to make it interesting. Strat purists probably would not like it at all, but for me it's the sound I've always wanted a strat bridge to sound like.

So a bucket in the bridge while still having the singles in the neck and mid made this guitar SO much more playable and versatile for me.

Benjammin and LPCollector like this.
  12. LPCollector

LPCollector V.I.P. Member

No doubt it sounds killer, Leu!!!

13. Benjammin

Benjammin Senior Member

yeah, they don't make it too clear that "noiseless" basically means the same as "humbucking pickup", I assume it's some kind of Fender trademark deal (or an attempt disguise the fact that they are not true single coils). I've never taken mine apart, but from everything I've read, they are stacked coils. I had to route-out some extra room in the neck and middle routes in my CP60 to get to them to sit where I like. They are great pickups, I can't recommend them enough to people to want an all-around good Strat sound, with the added noiseless operation and "girth" of dual coils

I'm glad the lil 59 worked out :thumb: