Orange Rocker 15 impressions

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by cherrysunburst00, Dec 5, 2017.

1. cherrysunburst00

cherrysunburst00 Senior Member

Ok, so I ordered an Orange Rocker 15 today because I have not been able to play one again--my Orange dealer sold his and gc don't got one.

I tried one earlier in the year at mu Orange dealer and was disappointed --I thought it sounded boxy.

So now I have one at home to try out. The boxy sound was easily fixed by slightly tilting it upward.

WOW, what a difference such a small adjustment made! That beastie will do old school hard and heavy rock for days.

Great for at home playing, which is always my consideration.

Will keep checking it out over the next few days.

2. mandobandit

mandobandit Senior Member

looking forward to your assessments of this unit, I tried one at a local dealer for a few minutes with a guitar off of the wall that was not well set up so I did not get much of a try, may try again after your input, bedroom volume is a must, I currently use a Boss Katana 50 and it does very well, but would like to have a tube combo that could work as well

cherrysunburst00 likes this.
  3. cherrysunburst00

I'll post more impressions later. so far, looks (ugh, sounds) GREAT

4. mandobandit

excellent now get off computer and go wood shed on that rocker:jam::fingersx:

5. ac/dcfan87

ac/dcfan87 Senior Member

@cherrysunburst00
    Interesting comment on tilting the amp upwards. Great idea and can be useful tip for others.

Awhile back I noticed a guy who played his tweed deluxe with the speaker cabinet facing the other way. I was like wth? Wonder why he does that? So I tried it. You get a lot of rich mids from the back of the speaker. And I think allowing the sound (projecting from the front of the amp) to bounce off the walls and come back to you allows the sound a chance to develop, instead of just getting pelted by mids right in your face.

Anyway, I think this should be a lesson to others to use the equipment they have at their disposal and try little things to see what you get!

Oh. And congrats on the new amp! You're putting together quite a collection!

AmpedUp and cherrysunburst00 like this.
  6. cherrysunburst00

I am amazed at the big difference such a small tweak makes

ac/dcfan87 likes this.
  7. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

Congrats!

It's one of my favorite amps.

[​IMG]

8. needlespauls

needlespauls V.I.P. Member

I’ve been hearing a lot of great things about amp stands. You get a small combo tilted up at you so you can actually get an accurate representation of the sound coming out of the amp, also you’re kind of letting the low end even out...for lack of better explanation.
    Some Orange cabs have that special rubber footing to especially be put on a flat and clear surface to help project low end. Some small cabs and combo amps DONT sound good when flat on the floor and need to be off of it to help reduce/tighten low end.

9. mandobandit

Seven are you satisfied with the 10" driver for fullness of tone, many look down on a single 10" speaker in a combo

10. cherrysunburst00

I can clearly hear why :)

The Rocker has those wood slats on the bottom. I have a really nifty small amp stand. It is a Tour Grade (not sure if that's the brand?) TGAS03 Low Profiled Amplifier Stand, and I got it from Amazon a few years back, but it seems like it might not be available anymore???? Ebay might be an option

stand.jpg

Just for kicks, I plugged the Rocker into my PPC112, and it definitely had a bit of a fuller sound. However (and remember, I'm just in the early stages of fiddling with it) the bass pot is very responsive, and you can a fuller sound by turning up the bass, and especially coupled with a slight up tilt.

needlespauls likes this.
  11. cybermgk

cybermgk Singin' the body lectric Premium Member V.I.P. Member

These
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002GO1JI/?tag=mylespaul04-20

[​IMG]

I like it because you don't lose the coupling to the floor BUT also don't get weird floor vibrations. It's also super light and easy to transport.

Used it for my tube amps/CABs, use it now for my FRFR Xitone 2x12.

12. Seven

Seven Silver Supporter

If I didn't know this amp had a 10" speaker I would swear it was a 12".

cybermgk I really like the Amp Wedge too.

[​IMG]

cherrysunburst00 and cybermgk like this.
  13. mandobandit

thanks to all for input, I will continue to follow for a time to see how Cherryburst100 is getting on as well.
    I have my eye on a couple other offerings Reeves custom 12, Fargen mini plexi, and Milkman, but the Rocker 15 would come in at quite a few dollars less, which would leave a little for a good verb pedal.
    I have to get out and try a Rocker again with my guitar this time

14. cherrysunburst00

DEFINITELY try it out again. It sounds really nice, and as @Seven said, it can be easy to forget it is a 10" speaker.

I have a Reeves Custom 10 HG (with power scaling) and that one uses EL 34s, unlike the Custom 12 you mentioned.

This Rocker is definitely in the Marshally camp. I think it is very very good for at home playing.

Here is a sound clip I made. It is in the 80/81ish db range (at about 2 3/4 feet away)--I had it in the "Bedroom" setting and on the "Half" toggle rather than "Full"
    https://app.box.com/s/nreii6ope8d73u0tlke666uk5j5crs39

Seems to be working at the moment, but if not just say, and I'll try again. This is one of those "step away from the computer to avert profound frustration issue" moments

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    AmpedUp and needlespauls like this.
  15. mandobandit

Mr burst thank you for the clip, I will definitely need to demo it again, I am looking to get a Clapton Beno-esque tone, I will assume you had it in dirty channel, nice playing by the way, thanks again

16. cherrysunburst00

Thanks for the kind words :)

Yes, in the dirty mode (I never play clean :laugh2: but I think you can get "edge of breakup" on the clean channel). I think dialing the gain back and possibly turning up the master more might achieve what you want.

Classicplayer likes this.