optical or laser adjustable effect...

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by LoKi, Dec 11, 2007.

1. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

So I saw this guy who had a guitar effect that sounded sort of like a whammy pedal, except it was on a stand, and projected a beam of light into the air (I'm assuming a laser). The effect was modulated by him breaking the beam by karate chopping it, or moving his hand vertically in the beam, with pitch modulation as he moved his hand up and down... I've never seen anything like it but it peaked my interest.

Anybody know what this might be? I think I could build one but it'd be nice to have something to go by. The other possibility is the audience was duped, and he really had some sort of Whammy pedal or pitch shifter being moved with his foot while he pretended to work the beam... but it looked really convincing. And I still think I could make something like that... using a laser (out of a laser measurement tool or something similiar) instead of a pot.

I want to know what it is!

2. Tone Seeker

Tone Seeker Senior Member

3. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

It was like that, only much smaller.. and the guy was using it just as an effect, not a modeller.

That is pretty cool though! I'm gonna have to try and make one. :)

4. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

D Beam sounds about right. This one actually seemed to give off light through the smoke machine though... whereas the D Beam is infrared... but it could have just been stage lighting. I need a D Beam controller that isn't attached to some big keyboard or synth that I'll never use. Haha

Thanks!

5. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

After a little digging, it seems the company that designed the D beam used to sell it as a stand alone controller until Roland bought the rights to it... now the only way to get one is to buy some stupid synth or over complicated device that the majority of the world won't use, and the people who do will make crappy elevator music with.

6. LesPRS

LesPRS Senior Member

Zvex has those Probe pedals. Kinda works like a Theremin, except with your foot.

7. LoKi

LoKi V.I.P. Member

Kinda neat... the Fuzz anyway... the Trem would be annoying because you have to rock your foot to make trem noises.

Theremin's are cool. I used to have one, and I'm thinking about buying another soon.

I'm pretty sure this guy was using an old standalone DBeam with a whammy... making Theremin type noises *they were covering Led Zeppelin*. It was super cool, and I imagine you could use a D Beam as an expression control for any sort of effect that has an outboard expression pedal option... Or wire it up in place of a pot on any given effect.

I could have fun with one of those and a Boss ME-50 or something. :)