[Opinions] - To change Pickups or not to change Pickups...

Discussion in 'The Custom Shop' started by G|_|itarGod, Oct 13, 2009.

1. G|_|itarGod

G|_|itarGod Member

Afternoon,

I'm currently sitting with my 3 month old Gibson Les Paul Traditional. I'm thinking of changing the following:

Neck Pickup - '57 Classic to SD Alnico II Pro APH-1
    Bridge Pickup - '57 Classic Plus to SD Alnico II Pro APH-1 or SD SH-11 Custom

I'm very much into Old Rock, Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Blues. I got a Fender Strat that pretty much covers my Blues needs so I want MLP to be the 'rock' guitar.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2. dwagar

dwagar V.I.P. Member

personally, I like the 57 Classics. I'd suggest you look to pots and caps first, maybe spend some time with pickup adjustments.

3. DreamKing

DreamKing Senior Member

I agree. I think a lot of people make the mistake of changing pickups without experimenting with their stock pickups. Try adjusting the pickup height (if you haven't already). My LP sounded pretty bad through an amp when I first got it, but I adjusted the pickups and got it to sound a lot better.

4. vkennedy

vkennedy Member

Send me the Classics when you're done with them.

5. HiLifeRocker

HiLifeRocker Senior Member

My $0.02 - I may not have a Traditional or R8/R9, but I can't help but want to hear my '05 LPC scream a little hotter than the stock pups. I'm never going to sell the guitar, so I'm not really worrried about resale value per se. I know that a set of Duncans like JB/Jazz combo would ADD a bit to the already stellar tone the guitar produces... ah, choices, choices! ;)

6. MrRhoads

MrRhoads Senior Member

Change the pots and caps without a doubt.
    I did that with my Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded about 6 months ago.
    I put in a RS Guitarworks vintage kit.
    If you´re still not happy after pot and cap change then you should look into other pickups.
    The 57classics will do any kind of music IMO as long as you have the amp for it :)

7. dspelman

dspelman Senior Member

I'm not at all sure you're gaining anything by doing that. You already have pickups in the guitar that will do exactly what you want to do.

8. MaliBoo

MaliBoo Senior Member

I don't know do you think you'll get Slash's sound with that pups, but i have 57's and i think they're great for classic rock...

What exactly are you searching for? More treble? Gain?

9. LiveOak

LiveOak Senior Member

+1 You should get in touth with Jonsey and tell him what you are trying to accomplish with your tone and he will offer his great advice.

10. Creature

Creature Junior Member

i want more versatile pickups in my traditional soemitmes i play really hard rock and sometimes light blues but i know the 57s arent cutting it sad as that is and i dont know what i should got for now? myb a super distortion?

11. jason_mazzy

jason_mazzy V.I.P. Member

before you change pups, have you looked at your caps and pots? also check the wiring. replacing that and cleaning up a wiring job will do alot to bring out the best in ur pups.