Opinions re Reverend Guitars?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by DBCooper, Feb 14, 2008.

1. DBCooper

DBCooper Senior Member

I was looking to buy a cheap MIM Tele or something else in the below $500 market. Someone told me to try a Reverend guitar because one of their models got a nice write up in Guitar Player in a shootout of budget guitars. If nothing else, they are very cool looking.

The Harmony Central site is stocked with glowing reviews. But I bet they're from the company. Each review provides way too much info and says stuff like, "I've been playing for 30 years and think my Reverend sounds just as good as my vintage Lester and my American Strat." Yeah, right. But for the price, I'm tempted to go try one. Is it a waste of time? Has anyone tried one? Thanks.

2. LongBeach

LongBeach Premium Member

I haven't played one, but if you got 5 bills to spend, you can still get a nice axe. MIM Strat, MIM Tele (both nice, and you can always upgrade the electronics at a later date) I know several musicians that play the MIM
    Fender's, and they got the $ to buy the American made. Besides, the wood
    is from the states, they just send it to Mexico for assembly.
    But for the less expensive models, I would stick with MIM Fender's, they take a licking and keep on ticking. my opinion only! (opposed to Epi)

3. Blues Power

Blues Power V.I.P. Member

nothing wrong with them. They were USA made up until last year now i think theryre comming from Korea if you can find a USA model grab it.

abouslutly nothing wrong with reverends

4. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

Reverend Guitars? What a cool frickin name. :)

5. Roman

Roman Master Luthier V.I.P. V.I.P. Member

I was wondering when you would chime in on this one :)

6. shotgunlew

shotgunlew V.I.P. Member

I have played a reverend ( it had p90's no clue on the name ) IT was a pretty nice guitar ( very nice for the money )

7. ReverendJWblues

ReverendJWblues MLP Chaplain V.I.P. Member

:rofl: Brother I'm kinda slow in the mind.

8. mudpuppy

mudpuppy Member

They have a loyal group of devotees over on the Fender Forum in the Misc. Topics. "The Reverend Congregation!" thread at over 11,000 posts there is a wealth of good info on the guitars, the amps as well as the changes the company has undergone.

As far as the reviews go I wouldn't dismiss them.. The guitars have attracted the old school players who are serious about tone.

9. Cantu

Cantu V.I.P. Member

Joe Naylor is the boss at Reverend he has designed some good amps and guitars in his time, Reverend Guitars are top notch especially their necks, excellent!!! He use to own Naylor amplification and sold it to his partner in Texas I believe. He started Reverend making the Spy, Avenger,Commando,Hitman Rocco witch I own and Slingshot wich I also own the Rocco is Humbuckers and Slingshot is P-90's. He also made Basses and his amplifiers are top notch The Kingsnake, Goblin, and Hellhound. The new guitars are made in Korea but are shipped and set up here! Great Guy runs a good company with great customer support! Try one you'll like it!:thumb:

10. Cantu

Cantu V.I.P. Member

Slingshot! if it was an old one the new one's I think are called Warhawk and Jetsream. Warhawk is setneck and Jetstream is bolt neck.
    Had to look those up couldn't remember!!!

11. stink

stink Junior Member

Have a warbird290.
    I don't think you will be displeased.
    Light, quality-build, good tone, great price.
    Find a dealer and put one in your hands.

12. dennistruckdriver

dennistruckdriver V.I.P. Member

I have never played one, but at a friend's jam session a couple years ago, some dude had one, and it ROCKED!
    It is not necessarily the guitar, though. It is the symbiosis between wood and flesh....between your guitar and your hands.
    Heck! Try one! They are not real expensive!

13. b-squared

b-squared Banned

I got to try out a dude's at church on Sunday. Sounds like an LP, plays like a Strat.

Best of both worlds.

[​IMG]

BB

14. toneguy86

toneguy86 V.I.P. Member

They are great and well designed instruments that come set up very, very well. I like the necks and the P90 versions the best. Lots of versatility because of the low contour control. AND...the price is right. As others have said you won't be disappointed.

Mark

15. po-boy

po-boy Member

check out mojocaster.com - he has demo vids of his guitars including reverends - they seem to have a pretty loyal following and are always mentioned when somebody talks about 'best bang for your buck' - their designs are retro cool - as always, the best way to decide is to get your hands on as many as you can - ymmv -

16. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Senior Member

Thanks for mentioning me :)

I love my Revs, no question about it. Joe Naylor makes great, funky guitars, that are totally giggable, be they US or Korean. Joe has a unique flair for, well... the unique!

I have never owned a Rev I didn't love.

For those of you who may be interested, I published an interview w/ Joe Naylor a little while back...

Mojocaster.com - Guitars that don't suck

17. po-boy

po-boy Member

hey mojo - de nada, you demo some cool gear ... or should i say 'guitars that don't suck !'

- i'm not a complete idiot ... some parts are missing -

18. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Senior Member

Ha ha, guitars that don't suck indeed :)

19. teejayh

teejayh Senior Member

I have a Reverend Club King 290 in a Black finish with black p/u covers. It's a great looking guitar and it plays fantastic. I got it very cheap and its definitely a keeper. For the money this Reverend plays a lot better than most MIM Strats, Teles or the new Epi's that I have tried out. I have several guitars here to choose from but right now the Reverend gets the most play. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

20. stink

stink Junior Member

Boy teejayh, that is one sweet lookin' clubking with the black pup covers.
    I'm gonna get 'em for my warhawk290.
    Did you change those yourself?