ONGD (Old New Gear Day) and a question???

Discussion in 'The Squawk Box' started by apfelbaum, Aug 9, 2017.

1. apfelbaum

apfelbaum Senior Member

I've been having some serious gas for a while for a speaker cab, and... I always like to up-sell myself. So after searching Craigslist for a long while, and taking too long to jump on a cosmetically awful 1960A cab ($200), I finally decided to lay down some cold hard cash for this beast: (it was affordable)

FullSizeRender.jpg

This is a 99' Johnson Amplification J412VS. Not a great cab, but I bought it because it has these inside which I believe are worth more for one then what I paid for the entire cab.

IMG_5269.JPG

English release Celestion V30 at 8 Ohms

The good: The speakers are fantastic, sounds creamy, smooth and warm. I'm glad I went this route.
    The Bad: I can see why this company went defunct. Though the ideas may have been sound, the cab is made of MDF and is covered in a thin sheet of spray on truck bed-liner all the way around. There is no way to remove the rear panel, to access everything you have to pull the handles and the speakers out the front. Also the mdf seems a bit suspect. But I didn't buy it for the wood.

For interested parties, here is the sales brochure from this era, I'm glad we've moved on... Wow

http://www.jedistar.com/pdf/Johnson_amplification_2000_catalog.pdf

So here is my question. The cab came with a switch wired for 8 Ohm mono or 4 Ohm stereo operation. I have rewired it to run 16 Ohm stereo for now. 16 Ohm stereo and 8 Ohm mono is what I need for this cab to really make it perfect. From the diagrams I have seen online, this seems possible if I use a Marshall type switch or .... maybe? Like this:

jack plate.png
    I know the labeling will have to be fixed but...?

Anyone that is more familiar with how this kind of wiring works, please chime in. Logic tells me this should work, but fear of blowing up an amp tells me to be sure. I'll place my order from Amplified Parts today! Thanks in advance

2. D'tar

D'tar Senior Member

[​IMG]

apfelbaum likes this.
  3. DarrellV

DarrellV Almost 1 Year old this month! Premium Member

Looks like you have achieved your bliss!
    Just use a nice heavy duty switch, no plastic junk!

You could do the same thing with switching jacks and eliminate the switch.
    Label one side mono the other stereo. Plugging in either side enables or disables the other jack. Your call.

[​IMG]

apfelbaum and bulletproof like this.
  4. eaglewolf

eaglewolf Senior Member

Looks right, and the math works out. If you use a good quality switch and soldering techniques, you should be fine.

Depending on how you wired it, the switching jack shown above might be an even better solution if you want to avoid having to use a switch.

apfelbaum likes this.
  5. apfelbaum

apfelbaum Senior Member

Thank you all for the help. I managed to get my hands on the plug an play jack set with three inputs and no switch. After all was said and done, I've got 2 16 Ohm stereo inputs, a 8 Ohm mono input, and a 32 Ohm mono input, works like a charm.

DarrellV likes this.