OneSpot vs. Voodoo Labs Pedal Power II vs. Dunlop DC Power Brick vs. ..........

Discussion in 'Pedals' started by VictorB, May 6, 2010.

1. Standard 64

Standard 64 Senior Member

Get the voodoo labs iso 5.It is cheaper with only 5 outputs.One output is 18 volts if you want to run a Fulltone OCD or something else.

2. Hamtone

Hamtone Senior Member

I have only owned the pp2 and love it. Absolutely zero noise or hum from my rig at all.

3. will c

will c Senior Member

BBE Supracharger works great for me. I've had it for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it.

4. Lampens

Lampens Senior Member

I daisy chained until that went on the fritz. Got the pp2. Expensive but great piece of equipment. No problems, sturdy as a mule and it can power everything with all the extra cables and features provided like being able to power old aca style powered boss and new psa style with the little switch. 18v, line 6 stuff etc.

5. SoulFire33

SoulFire33 Junior Member

I have a T-Rex Fueltank Jr. The quality seems top notch, I've only gigged with it once though.

6. EEF13

EEF13 Senior Member

Does the Onespot add noise even with a noise gate?

7. matthornet

matthornet Senior Member

I love the One Spot for the affordability & ease of space but yea, you're right... It does make an annoying noise. But never bothered me playing live.

I'd like to get a PP2 one day too! that day will come, it will....

8. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

So what Pedals are you powering Led Zep Fan?

9. VictorB

VictorB Formerly LZF Super Mod

A Boss CE-2, Boss DM-2, MXR Phase 90, ModTone Clean Boost, and an Area 51 Wah.

10. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yeah the Power Pedal 2 would be the way to go with those pedals. I'm not to familiar with Dunlop DC Brick or others and One Spot is good if can't afford Power Pedal 2.

11. PraXis

PraXis V.I.P. Member

That's it? You're not GASing enough! :laugh2:

IMO, the delay should probably get it's own isolated output, and the others can daisy chain fine... although, I recommend putting the chorus, delay, and phaser in the fx loop... then just go guitar -> (tuner) -> wah -> boost -> amp

A fuel tank Jr will do you just fine!

12. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

The reason why I would suggest the Voodoo Power Pedal 2 and One Spot is because the Boss DM-2 and CE-2 are lot different in the Power supply.

BossArea - Boss CE-2 Chorus

BossArea - Boss DM-2 Delay

The old Boss Power Supply is ACA which is AC power. Unlike the Current Power supply Boss uses which PSA that is DC Power Supply

Here is another reason to go with Voodoo Lab or One Spot

from the BossArea.com ?????????????

The ACA is an unregulated 9V or 12V adapter. For a long time both the ACA and the regulated PSA adapter was available but in the later part of the 90s the ACA adapter was discontinued as all Boss pedals then was designed to run with the PSA adapter.

When a power supply is unregulated, it means that the voltage level will drop as the load is increased. The ACA adapter may give out a full 12 volt when it is powering one or two pedals but if it is hooked up to a long row of pedals the voltage will drop. The ACA adapter is capable of supplying as much current as 250mA but problems keeping the voltage up may occur before the load reaches that level.

The early compact pedals was designed to run on either a 9V DC battery or 12V DC adapter. Because of this the ACA adapter was a 12V adapter. The voltage was reduced to 9V internally by using a 470 Ohm resistor and 1S2473 diode between the minus input on the power jack and ground. The resistor diode pair was later removed and at the same time the ACA adapter was redesigned to output 9V instead.

Powering ACA pedals with a PSA power supply
    Powering the older pedals designed for 12V DC input with either a newer ACA or PSA adapter will not work very well. The voltage drop over the resistor and diode will prevent the pedal from getting enough power and its LED will usually only glow faintly. The solution is to use a daisy chain and plug in another pedal designed for the newer ACA or PSA adapter. The lead between the two pedals will short the resistor diode pair and the pedal will receive full power.

Hence forth why you need a something similar to Voodoo Lab Power Pedal 2 or One Spot

13. VictorB

Effects loop? What's that? (Kidding....)

My JCM 800 does not have an effects loop, it's too old!

14. VictorB

Thanks Tazzboy! I always knew there was something wacky about that delay pedal, thanks for clearing it up. So you would recommend the PP2 for the DM-2... connected to the regular 9v adapter?

15. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Yep to the one that says ACA (Like in the Picture here) and the manual says to set the dip switch away as well.

[​IMG]

16. VictorB

Thanks Tazz!

17. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

Your welcome.

18. VictorB

An update: I went for the PP2, I picked one up today.

Next is the pedalboard.

19. tazzboy

tazzboy V.I.P. Member

I would suggest if you get suck on how to operate PP2 is contact Voodoo Lab forum.

Voodoo Lab • Forum

I would hate for that DM-2 or CE-2 to get ruin if not getting the right power supply to it.

20. matt@msscguitar

matt@msscguitar www.MSSCGuitar.com Premium Member V.I.P. Member MLP Vendor

Good choices my friend :)